Forums > Advanced Staff moves > Expanded Anti-spin/Linear Iso's

Login/Join to Participate

dalefBRONZE Member
dubbles extraordinaire
36 posts

Posted:

Vertical Expanded Linear Isolation

Staff one is doing regular wall plane isolation from one wick going counter clockwise. We're going to start it facing down.

Staff two is connected below staff one (by the top wick of staff 2). So they are both vertical with staff 2 on the bottom. Remember staff one is just isolating up clockwise.

| - staff 1
| - staff 2

As staff one goes counter clockwise up it "pulls" staff two (antispin) so that they
are both occupying the same space horizontally
(both at 3 o’clock)
When staff one isolates up facing north, Staff two is on top of it (opposite of how we started out)

| - Staff 2
| - Staff 1

When staff one isolates to 9 o’clock, staff 2 is right there with it occupying the same space.

Then back to the beginning.

Horizontal E.L.I

This is the same thing, except they occupy the same place at 12 o’clock and six o’clock.

Noteworthy:

The difference between this and a cateye is the size of the circle. If staff one was doing a regular static spin, it would be cateye. The size poses a problem for doing with staff, but you can do it with either short staves or do it horizontally. A nice variation I’ve been working with is making staff 1 anti spin instead of iso.

Alien Jon:
Quote:Check out 2:08 in my crazy staff orbits video for MCP:

#t=2m08s

It is a horizontal staff cateye (cuz vertical wouldn't fit on the screen so well, and horizontal is easier with staff)... but look at only the half of the staff from the blue dot to the green dot. It is like a shorter staff working with that same circle, and guess what: it is doing your newt eye!, your hand would have to be the cyan dot, making an elliptical hand path. Because it is a little staff, half as big that circle is like the circle is 2x (like a staff iso is 2x). Conversely, this illustrates how if you were to do it with the normal sized staff, you'd have to make a circle 2x as big as it. This is the power of thinking about spinning props in terms of proportions.