Forums > Technical Discussion > Unable to choose between LED items.

Login/Join to Participate

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
I've been looking around, and saw a number of items that caught my eye. unfortunately, I cannot buy them all.

There are some I'm quite keen on:
https://www.technomoves.com/rave_impact_stick.html
Which I'm buying here.

I was also thinking of Stardass/Stardust, but those are very pricey, being around $50+ at places like poipoi.info in Canadian dollars.

And of course, I was also thinking of just buying regular sock poi here. =P But it takes a month for them to come in in Canada, apparently. ;-;

What are the pros and cons of all three? And which do you think I should go for? I'm used to using glowsticks, but I'd like to have actual poi one day, although those impact LEDs would probably save me some money.

Risen from the Ashes
The Phoenix shall rise in his royal flaire.
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
those impact sticks look like they will break real easy check out flowtoys.com

I love thinking in circles

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Warning on flowtoys !!! They are more expensive than what you've been looking at.

Ignore stardass, to me they look quite rubbishy. Much gimmick, but I've never actually seen them in real life or used them, so I'm just going off how they look.

Flowtoys do make great products. (wouldn't go for the oggs because I'd construct mine so the main component faces the other way)

I had a few gripes with the flowtoys products in the past which have now all been rectified. I'd say its worth the money. But I probably wouldnt buy the duos if I had the chance again.... I can't use them anywhere near as well as I would be able to use the single ones, even if they do look prettier, I think I'd be able to make prettier patterns if I could use the toys more easily. (that said its only hard because of the type of patterns I like to make, not having an easily distinguished head makes it a pain to do head to head combinations. smile

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I have used the Stardass ones once. They are not bad, although I did not like them overly much (too light).

I also spun the HoP balls on ballchain ages ago and prefered those.

Never tried Flowtoys, but they are a lot more expensive but appear to do a bit more....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
I know that I'm not getting Flowtoys for a VERY long time. Gotta save up for graduations, don't you know. =P

Why can't there be anything nearly as bright as ultras, weight adjustible, and just a little heavier? Dx

My friends are always saying that poi sucks balls (no pun intended), and that I should stick to glowsticks.

Risen from the Ashes
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Why stick to glowsticks?? I honestly don't see the difference between the two disciplines apart from attitude and demographic...

And that lighter heads tend to limit your control, but make wraps more simple... Not even making them more simple really...

Glowsticks are easier to get hold of? I really don't get the difference.

hug

LevFiredance Philosopher
79 posts

Posted:
Problem with glowtoys is that unless you've got pro film of it you won't be able to tell what it looks like in motion, and a picture is not going to tell you very much.

I have flowpoi and I recommend them if you can afford a AAA battery recharger and a few AAA batteries as flowpoi tend to suck energy FAST and will pay itself off fairly quick.

Otherwise I just have HoP ballpoi, which are great... only 2 things have gone wrong:
1) The conductor disk in the knob off-set after a while so I had to insert a spacer made of a bus ticket inside it to center it then screw the spring back in to tighten and it works fine now.
2) When it cycles to red it produces much less light in reflections, which if you are using plain glass as a reflective surface the poi tend to disappear when they go to red. and re-appear for blue/green.

Mind you that they are very sturdy and are absolutely covered in scuffs due to over-use.
EDITED_BY: Lev (1235076100)

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
Yeah... I'd love to buy these white sock LED poi from HoP, but apparently I would have to wait 3-4 weeks for it to go through the mail.

Risen from the Ashes
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
Due tot he lack of anything i particularly like, and as Stardust just don't really seem like my style, I've decided to get the Water flowlights. As it doesn't seem as if they come with cords, I've also planned on ordering nylon cords with quicklinks and double loop handles.

And of course, crystal cases so I don't totally smash them to bits on my hard head.

Unfortunately, that amounts to $79.83CAD, not including the fact I have to buy batteries for the damn things. xD

Risen from the Ashes
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
good choice, i might buy the crystal cases when i have some money.
(got the duos at the moment, 2 water 2 air)

only im not too sure about using the naked flowlights as handles. I can see them cracking if you do spirals or something. the flowtoys blue handles and colecord works great with them

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
So expensive... xD I wish they'd be as bright as ultras.

Risen from the Ashes
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
wait for hyperlights, they will be brighter. thought they might also cost you about 100x as much as ultras and have to wait until 2050. should be good though

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
Hehe... When my glowsticking friends saw Hyperlights, they were. "Pfft. That's nothing compared to glowsticks." >_>

Risen from the Ashes
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Except for the different colours that you can program in. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
I made that statement. >_> Sigh. Glowstickers. They just can't think of any of our toys as awesome in any way. ):

Risen from the Ashes
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: V_RegalYeah... I'd love to buy these white sock LED poi from HoP, but apparently I would have to wait 3-4 weeks for it to go through the mail.

i got my glow balls in roughly two weeks...... to canada

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
Lulz... Doesn't matter now... I paid extra for priority shipping. Don't know when it'll get here though. Probably now, I suppose. It's been nearly a week.

Risen from the Ashes
FIND YOUR DESTINY.