Forums > Videos > New stalls and plane changes videos

Login/Join to Participate

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I think these tutorials are fairly comprehensive, I think if anyone is having difficulty getting a good stall they should watch this vid... its the best way I've found to teach stalls.

Hope they help someone.

Stalls

Plane changes and the last bit on stalls.

hug

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
Good work, and the second one is really interesting for me!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Cheers Stuart, those are a couple of great tutorials you put up there.

One critique I have on the first one is that i didn't feel you stressed the concept of "getting the feel" of upstalls enough. In theory these are pretty simple however the practice. IMO, is considerably more complicated. I've found that not only is isolating the poi at the correct tangent important but the "second half" the accelerating the poi back down under control is equally as important and just as difficult to master.

When i first started upstall, I found myself coming out of them with the poi head almost breaking the sound barrier which made linking to another stall and exercise in flailing. grin. Then there was the converse, not putting enough ooooph into the acceleration leading to slack tethers and the inevitable impulsive force sending my poi heads onto a trajectory that i was forced to deal with in ways I hadn't planned. Quick...extensions !!!, sort this mess out then get back to what's really supposed to be happening.

I'm liking the second tutorial, the stalls and plane changes but maybe you should explore some of those "uses" of stalls and plane changes that you didn't want to tell us about so we have some examples of why we want to work on these and just what can be done with them. For instance plane changing from wheel to wall to wheel to wall...would have dovetailed nicely with your staves on the ground representing the four corners turns with stalls that you illustrated.

I would have liked to see more uses of stalls to transition from vertical to horizontal planes and back to vertical planes as well.

The horizontal stall and letting the poi heads drop under gravity was a nice touch.

beerchug beerchug beerchug

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I thought I put in a bit about feeling the tension of the tether... which would be the same as "getting the feel"

#t=2m45s and a bit more at 3:30

Almost a minute isn't enough?? Or do you mean something I don't understand by "getting the feel"

Would stressing this further through the use of annotations be enough or do you think I need extra footage?

Examples are what I sat and thought over for a while... this even delayed the tutorials creation for a while... I don't want to put in stuff that people will feel like "ooh! I'll learn that one... then I'll try to discover other things" when this kind of stuff is limitless.

Since you've requested it I'll think hard about some bland looking plane changes as well as one or two funky looking ones to put up as a response soon. tongue2

Why learn it?? 3D spinning adds a boggling factor into your spinning, you can even snap straight into geometries, giving your performance the few seconds of "What the hell just happened? Why are my pants all wet?" feeling.

So you're after something along the lines of "The wow factors of plane changes." ?

Its a new way to involve your body motion, the way your poi interact in relation to your arms and body, just changes things in an inexplicable way. I can put this into a video if you'd like?

Have I understood what it is you're saying correctly?

And thank you both very much for your feedback, I really appreciate the opportunity to improve my tutorials. They are up there in order to help people learn and if you guys can help me maximize the potential for them to teach then thats really great. grin

hug

LevFiredance Philosopher
79 posts

Posted:
Thanks a lot <3
Can you do more recordings on how you can use isolative feel to kind of make a stair effect and expand on that with spiral staircase?

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
You lost me there, Lev, I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about.

If I knew what you were talking about I could probably do something, but thats not terminology I'm familiar with.

hug

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hi MNS, on watching the clips a second time, maybe i was a little hasty with mentioning the bit about getting the feel. I must have been distracted or something while I was watching it the first time. Yea, yea that's it, distracted, the cat was barfing on the floor or something yea. that's it yes wink

Quote:Examples are what I sat and thought over for a while... this even delayed the tutorials creation for a while... I don't want to put in stuff that people will feel like "ooh! I'll learn that one... then I'll try to discover other things" when this kind of stuff is limitless.

OK, I side your approach on this but I still would have liked a visual of just it is/was I was supposed to be learning these for. Bland, funky, flashy and downright stupendous plane changes would all fit the bill in a 30 second demo of just what the goal is to emulate/learn from the tutorial.

Quote:So you're after something along the lines of "The wow factors of plane changes." ?

YES, exactly. I want women throwing their panties at me when I'm up on stage and screaming that they want me to have their babies, but I'm weird that way.

Quote:Its a new way to involve your body motion, the way your poi interact in relation to your arms and body, just changes things in an inexplicable way. I can put this into a video if you'd like?

That's what I'd like to see in the "demo" bit. Maybe the "inspiration" bit would be a better term. I want to say "YES!" "That's what I want to learn to do and sensi Stuart is going to help me do it"

My guess is the stair effect is stalling one poi on top top the other and raising ( or lowering ) the whole pattern in a stair like fashion, that's just a WAG though.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA-38pGgyv0

This has a few plane changes in it. Is this enough? smile

hug

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
That's the ticket. a little inspiration to go along with the education.

Cheers

smile