Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > British Juggling Convention 2009 - Postponed

Login/Join to Participate

JakBJCmember
117 posts

Posted:
Over the past 11 months we had been organising BJC 2009 at the University of East Anglia.

We have some exciting plans, including an awesome fireshow, brilliant renegade acts and some top notch artists to teach workshops

Despite our having had an agreement in place with the university for some time, they unexpectedly informed us yesterday that they have withdrawn their support and will not be allowing the event to take place on their premises.

We are working as hard as we can to establish an alternative (and hopefully even better) venue. Given the amount of time it takes to get legal and contractual requirements in place, we regretfully feel that our best option is to postpone the BJC to later in the year - hopefully the 19th-23rd August. We are committed to running a top notch BJC in an excellent venue, and we don't want to compromise it and do a slapdash job on an extremely short timescale.

We apologise to all those people (including many on the team) who had already made arrangements for our original dates; however we hope that you will be able to come along to the first summer BJC and are already looking forward to to warmer camping, BBQs, shorts and sandals, and summer evening mayhem.

We will keep you updated with all the news just as soon as it happens!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Woah, thanks for the notice on this. My housemate had just scheduled the BJC in as part of a European trip- from Australia.
Good luck finding a better venue.

Any clues on why they reneged?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
frown

I wasn't going anyway, as I'm teaching in Berlin the week before, but that really sucks.

it does mean that a lot of people that were thinking about BJC instead of coming to berlin might change their minds now, though

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

JakBJCmember
117 posts

Posted:
There were some small issues like the exams starting the day after we leave but they were not willing to sort them out and made an executive decision to cancel it and we're unwillingot continue talking... Now you can go to Berlin and the British ;-)

sichaineyBRONZE Member
enthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
Dam it I was holding my 30th birthday bash there :-( Im not sure August is a great date as many will be performing.
EDITED_BY: sichainey (1234998894)

Peachi Petejourneyman
56 posts

Posted:
It'll be different, but still great I'm sure. Unlucky organisers, but sounds like the venue were a bit censored.

Not much you can do with that.
Lets be positive about the August one all wink

Cheese, Peachimpy - not affected at all really, just supporting the oroganisers who must be gutted.

Peachi Petejourneyman
56 posts

Posted:
spank
EDITED_BY: Malcolm (1235079587)
EDIT_REASON: unsuitable language for boards

Peachi Petejourneyman
56 posts

Posted:
...one day I'll grow up wink

...but not any day soon,

Cheese, Peachi Pangea

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
aw dudes! university of east anglia sucks! but at least i won't be rushing to get my driving test done before my young persons railcard runs out so i can actually make it to wherever it's now going to be! and warmer sleeping is definitely a plus! i hope sorting it out goes smoothly smile

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...