Forums > Technical Discussion > Double Loop Handles VS Single Loop Handles!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TamimSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
Double loop vs Single loop..... is it really just about preferance or is there an actual noticable difference between the two?

I have never tryed the double loop, only the single but would like to hear some opinions on the difference between the two..... pros and cons for say.

Your only one drug away from liking techno.

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
I prefer single loop handle myself, mainly because I am starting to do lots of moves where I have to let go of the handle, and I don't want to mess around trying to get two fingers back into the handles . Also my pratice poi have single loop handles so I'm used to them.
double loops may have a smaller chance of being accidently chucked on your neighbours house since you're holding onto it with two fingers...
i think thats what I'm thinking

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
quote:
being accidently chucked on your neighbours house

nice to know I'm not the only one...double loops aren't bad when you're doin one handed stuff

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Although I use double loops, technically single loops are better since you can simply put two fingers through them, palm side down, and turn your hand towards your body... it makes 2 seperate loops. Or, you can hold them with just 1 finger and as kolong said, you can get in and out of them very easily.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
double all the way. Feels so much more secure.

If your routine involves throws and stalls, then you can get your fingers back in quite easily into double loops without anyone noticing in the stalled time. After a throw with my right I generally do a stall from butterfly/weave/butterfly (or vice versa), within 30 seconds, sticking my fingers back in during the stall

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i use double loop, just because its all ive ever known, i put the loops on different fingers to most people ive met though, i use my middle two...

i also quite like the big hand sized loops, as you can just pick them up and spin them, but im not sure if they give you as much control...

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
i find double loops more secure and comfy.

single loops make for easy catches, and around the wrist is nice. but the thing is that with moves like armwraps and adding extra beats to weaves you need that extra flick that you get from holding with two fingers.

when i have to keep a grip with my thumb on the strap, it gives my wrists less 'flick'.

i like my loops solid leather, and tight around the fingers

(that sounded wierd)

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
I am surprised to see so many pro-double-loop. Everyone we know locally who does any peformance, and many of those who don't, uses single loops. If they want to have a more secure hold on their poi simply do as MilleniuM wrote--turn the loop up, and stick a couple of fingers through. I personally never use double-loops during performance. The added length of single-loops makes one-handed moves and passes easier.

MJ
Flamma Aeterna

[ 12. November 2003, 05:26: Message edited by: Flamma Aeterna ]

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I prefer double loops for behind the back weave. I have long heavy poi and that little second finger pull is what brings the poi around for me.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
There's no one style that's better in all situations--just what's better for you at the moment. That's like asking whether the grip should be worn backhand or forehand. I've seen people use different grips during the same gig--one set for a routine involving releases, another for a routine with no releases.

At any rate, I use grips with two finger loops and a wrist strap. And I wear them forehand style.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

• Jillmember
6 posts

Posted:
I prefer double, since ther are two loops there's less strain on your fingers. It's also more manuverable, being that you can move each finger seperately and even under a lot of pressure, they aren't being squeezed against each other as much. But it all depends on your style.

I couldn't love you more.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I definitley gotta go for double loops.
I learned with single loops, but decided double was better after almost taking out the kitchen window!
I find that when i'm doing one handed stuff its easier having 2 fingers looped in in each poi. That way its a lot less strain when you're trying to keep the poi 180 deg. from each other. Havn't got the finger strength to do it otherwise!
Completely personal preference tho.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I've found I can't get my fingers out of single loops when transferring over to one handed stuff, but that could be because I learned on doubles. Try both and you'll get a preference for one or the other.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
I don't get it.
Why would you not go for two handles?
If you prefer one handle, just don't use the other right?
Or is there a balance problem or something?

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
1 handle is the only way for me. But you gotta hold 'em right.

hold your hand out, palm to the sky, spread 1st and 2nd fingers, place single loop in between fingers and grip (close the fingers you spread). Open up the loop and pull over fingers.

If you do it right - the handle should hold onto you, you don't wanna have to hold onto the handles because you'll lose crutial control.

That's my method anywho. Haven't used handles in ages though, now i just use a knot so that i can trow my poi about.

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

DruidicDovemember
20 posts

Posted:
I actually use leather double loop, with an attached metal ring for single stunts. That's what seems to work for me so far... then again, I use almost entirely staff, so I haven't worked up to a point of divine goodness yet with poi...

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
double for me at the moment. But i am tempted to get single if i order flowpoi

Then again i have got used to double loops as have been spinning for 2 years

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I use single loops but hold them with my first and third fingers with my middle on the outside of the loop. It helps "lock" them in, but I can get in and out of them really quickly.

I don't like the feel of double loops, they feel bulky compared to my leather handles.

I also have tried the inversion method described by Millenium, called a Finger Noose for a reason. It cuts circulation off to my fingers and I find that to be incredibly unpleasant for me.

But in the end it's all about personal preference

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Double looped normally, as has been said, it's subtlety more controllable, and puts less strain on the fingers. I put each loop around my middle and ring finger. My ideal setup is leather double loops, but with a metal ring at the base, large enough for me to put my fingers through should I need to do throws. Double loops are a little finiky for if you want to let go of the poi.

I have to say, that a lot of the time, I don't use loops at all, I just kinda hold onto the top of the chain, like sock poi, as it makes throws easier, and catching is also simple. The best handles though, that are rare for some reason are the ball or "knob" handles. They are better weighted for throws, and if you catch it a bit too far up the chain, you just let the chain slide through your fingers until the knob acts as an "anchor" for them.

Balls all the way!

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I was considering turning some wooden handles for throws, shaped like an apple core cut in half, but I don't really do any throws yet & I'm not really planning on learning them for a while.

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
I've made practice poi with double-loop, single-loop, stick, ring, and ball handles, and of those I tend to go back and forth between double-loop and ball handles, the latter being weighted to keep my tosses accurate. I've been considering adding a ball to the handle end of the chain with double loops so it can do both.

I do not like single loops woven through three fingers as I think Pele is describing, and I especially don't like what she calls the Finger Noose, for the reason she cites. When I do use single loops it's either around my first two fingers or, if it's long enough, looped around my thumb and wrapped behind my hand for a very secure grip and ease of release. I find the double loops to give you a *tiny* bit more control, but the ball handles are nice because you can use a surprisingly big variety of grip styles (between the fingers, wrapped 'round the hand, pinched between thumb and forefinger, &c.) and shift nigh effortlessly between them.

I'd like to play with ring handles a bit more, since the ones I've made left much to be desired, but frankly I don't have anything more suited to use in that capacity.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
My sock poi have really big knots on them which I have come to like. I should do something similar on my other poi....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
I was using knots on my sock poi, but they're too light for tosses, I find... It'll work in a pinch, but it's nice to have a counterweighted handle, especially if your socks have any amount of stretch to them. One thing I found was that if I threw a poi with too much stretch, the material would bunch up near the head, bringing the handle away from my hand...

Plastic easter eggs work; they're around the right size and are very comfortable. I just made handles from those toy golf balls, the plastic ones (I got a dozen for a buck) - put a couple steel bearings in each (with tape, otherwise they'd clack about) and then tape all 'round for good measure.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the double loop handles that I've made, neither loop is of static dimensions; it's one single loop put through a ring and only secured on the inside... What I mean is, if I pull on one loop, the other gets shorter, if I shorten it, the other gets longer. That way I get the control and secure feeling of a double loop handle, with the leeway for finger movement of a single handle. I've used double loops where the loops are static, and I still prefer them over single loops, but my style seems to suit me best.
EDITED_BY: Mucky (1212239457)

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
For counter-weights in sock poi, the best method i've found is to measure the weight of the weight you've got in the end of the sock, and then, fill a balloon with uncooked rice until it weighs the same, then tie it into the end of your socks, or throw it it the thin end of your cone poi, that way you get perfect counter-weight.

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
And a tasty snack if your poi fall into a steamer!

wink

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by :NathanielEverist

For counter-weights in sock poi, the best method i've found is to measure the weight of the weight you've got in the end of the sock, and then, fill a balloon with uncooked rice until it weighs the same, then tie it into the end of your socks, or throw it it the thin end of your cone poi, that way you get perfect counter-weight.

Wouldnt this just be the same as a meteor, except not spinning like meteor and having 2? (4 tasty snacks)

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
I have noticed on the front cover of encyclo-poi-dia dvd, zan moore seems to be using double loops on index and middle finger, palm facing up poi hanging down. This is the same way i have always used and seems most comfortable (for me at least)

I tried single loops last week and whilst they were more secure they tended to tighten around my fingers too much.

Doubles for the win.

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
I just looked at the cover, I am almost certain he is NOT holding them like that, but I may be wrong.

I use doubles, however, I want to transition to singles...

Human

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I prefer single loop, myself. I put my ring and pinky fingers through it and use a key grip on the outside of the handle using my index finger and thumb. I'll often wrap the poi around my fingers, usually first around my index finger and middle finger, then around my index finger and then I have a key grip on that using my thumb.

This puts the weight on my middle finger and the control between my index finger and my thumb. smile

hug

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
i mainly spin with sock with a weight in them so i don't really use loops but i think the single is better because it gives you far more options. i've used both over the years.
i'm currently trying to find a good counterweight copper coins seem to be the best at the moment but if anyone knows of a good counter weight which is small enough to go in the hand like a skipping rope handle i would love to know as the coins hurt my hands

I love thinking in circles

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
what balls do you use

I love thinking in circles

Page: