Forums > Social Discussion > fires in Victoria Australia, let us know if you're ok.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I've just seen the BBC News about the fires in Victoria in Australia, which made me worried for all our lovely HoPpers in the area.

If you could check in and let us know you are all safe it would be good.

Also if you need anything that we might be able to provide... It may take us a bit of time to get it to you but if you have lost your home or belongings I'm sure many people here would only be to happy to try and help you replace as much as we can.

You're in my thoughts and I am hoping you are all safe.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
This is a very very tragic event. It is so sad to see so many people affected by this. I havnt been able to donate time but my daycare were accepting supplies that were going directly to the affected areas - So i rustled up as much as i could and took it down there.

Please if you can donate time money goods or services. Thoughts to all who are up there and will hopefully have these fires all out soon. And a big pat on the back for our Fire Fighters what an awesome job they've done.

*In the car while Pink is playing on the radio*
Tristan aged 4 : "Mum is this Pink?"
Flame:"Yes mate this is Pink?"
Tristan:"Are you going to Pink?"
Flame:"Yes i am"
Tristan:"Cool well I'm going to BLUE" smile

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
I was reading the paper today about the fires in Australia. I was actually quite shocked about how little about the damage and the region was mentioned in the article, but infact the main part of the article was related to a guy called Petey Thorneycroft. I will just be saying that I will have a drink tonight for this guy. Climbing onto the roof in nothing but shorts and thongs. (Aussie Lingo grin ) And protecting the building with people in. That is a True hero I hope everything is sorted quickly out there, and petey! Keep being brilliant! grin

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Whahey! My primary school just made it into the news!

https://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25048301-2862,00.html

Apparently it was even on the moving picture box that you city folks have.

It's caused quite a stir among our close-knit community. I'm just glad they caught the guys, I mean, to steal money that's intended to go to such a worthy cause is fairly low, although the courts will judge that, it's not my place, from what I've heard the thieves were pretty down on their luck.

PerkyGOLD Member
Total Randomness'
12 posts

Posted:
I'll add myself to the list of people who are ok.

I was (and still am) working on the fire's in the Bunyip Park.

Fire is Life

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Just_Another_Clownthe main part of the article was related to a guy called Petey Thorneycroft. Climbing onto the roof in nothing but shorts and thongs. (Aussie Lingo grin ) And protecting the building with people in.

i actually hadnt heard that story, but no wonder really theres heaps of them. i had to laugh though, all advice from the fire service says dont get on your roof, more people fall off wet roofs while fighting fires than stay standing on them, and you're meant to cover your entire body in nonflammable clothing to protect from radiant heat. its a case of someone doing exactly what experts say not to do, and in the course of it saving dozens of lives.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Never underestimate the power of ignorant bravery....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
That story made me giggle a bit when I heard it was a pub...a lil bit of lightheartedness in the midst of tragedy...

"Hand me that garden hose, we've got to save the beer!!!"

Yes, I know he saved alot of people and much kudos to him for that...but I still couldn't help but giggle.

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I've just come back from Victoria, driving a backhoe around digging holes for dead cows. I'm going to second the whole "if you have time and skills please help out" as they have plenty of cash and supplies, but the roads need clearing, manky dead livestock need burying before they burst and contaminate the water and anyone who can weild a chainsaw is wanted.

If you can't do it now, think about joining the CFA or the SES to try and stop it happeneing again in the future, and support backburning.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
All is okay here. I haven't logged into HoP for weeks, only just saw this today.

Thank you to those who sent texts/emailed concerned for my safety. Last week was tough, and it still is tough. I guess just trying to comprehend it all. I was lucky that the fires where about 100km away from me. All last week we had repeated black outs and smoke. That is nothing to compared to what so many others have suffered.

I remember how shocking it was seeing the death toll at 14 on https://www.theage.com.au
(my homepage) and to see it refreshing so often as the death toll continually counted up was just utterly devastating. And now it's 201, which more to come.

hug

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
It's still happening of course..although not today threatening homes directly, the fires currently burning are huge, with 100's of firefighters still out there risking their own lives.

Here's the CFA (Country Fire Authority) update site

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
One thing that _really_ bugged me last week was the mention of unrest between the CFA and metropolitan fire brigades. There was talk of metro fire crews being blockaded from entering the fire front lines, the motive being that the CFA and MFB compete for funding and don't want metro brigades 'on their turf' even though the MFB complement has arguably better equipment and training...even in a crisis, emergency services that are territorial at the expense of peoples lives and welfare.

I'm not saying CFA is right or wrong, nor the MFB, as the media always refracts the truth when presenting news to the public. What i'm sure we can all agree on is that if there is dissension between the two fire crews, that they put the issues aside and focus on _why_ they are fire fighters and the very people they need to protect.

*vaults off soapbox*
EDITED_BY: Brenn (1235472941)
EDIT_REASON: clarity in refract sentence

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: BrennWhat i'm sure we can all agree on is that if there is dissension between the two fire crews, that they put the issues aside and focus on _why_ they are fire fighters and the very people they need to protect.

*vaults off soapbox*

I have to disagree there man, I personally don't buy the "turf war" at all, I believe it was probably some misunderstanding, that lead to a rumour, that leaked to the media that blew it out of proportion. Both sides have denied the feud even exists.

And don't MFB fighters get paid? That might be why some of them are fire fighters. There's also the possibility of them liking fire, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the fire-fighters were pyromaniacs.

I don't know... just running my mouth.

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: NathanielEverist
I have to disagree there man, I personally don't buy the "turf war" at all, I believe it was probably some misunderstanding, that lead to a rumour, that leaked to the media that blew it out of proportion. Both sides have denied the feud even exists.

Hence the prefixed sentence about the media refracting the truth smile I don't think there is a 'turf war' and I think it's just a media-made instrument so that the bloodlust public can have a finger to point at (as well as the lone arsonist caught so far), but if there is a real turf war...it's a bit silly, and if there is, undoubtedly they are going to deny it exists. Imagine the public outcry if the fire bodies admitted that because of bureaucracy and turf, needless lives and livelihood were lost as a result frown

The MFB are govt funded as far as i know, but the incentive to light fires might exist if they are paid on commission...that, or there are some twisted people in our emergency services.

hug

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
You're definitely right about the media refracting the truth, I did Media studies in school and it really opened my eyes, I kinda feel that it should be a compulsory subject in schools given how media saturated our society is.

In fact, I'm going to start a thread about that...

Yeah, should there have actually been a turf war, that would well suck, and the outcry would be appropriate.
And yeah, I've certainly heard about twisted people being in our emergency services. Apparently, it's not uncommon for Fire Fighters to start fires, just because they enjoy the thrill of putting it out, and I've heard of some Paramedics just enjoying gore, and we all hear about power-tripping cops. But I shouldn't run my mouth without evidence, even though I just did, take it with a healthy pinch of salt...

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Conditions tomorrow have been tipped to be as bad as Black Saturday... this is far from over, yet.

hug

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i honestly cant see that happening.. not with a predicted top of 36.. black saturday was a *lot* hotter than that.. surely theres a decent amount of media hype there..

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Its more to do with dryness and wind shifts than actual temperature.

I'm sure there is a bit of media hype involved there, as well, but I'm tipping it won't be fun.

hug

NoiseyflowerBRONZE Member
Yell and scream all you like
53 posts

Posted:
I am one of those lucky victorians glad that i moved closer to the city. My old home town in is ashes. Unfortunatly most of my family live in fire affected areas. Everyone please send their prayers out to my aunt ang who no one can contact. frown

Even though it is still scary as to how close the fires are to the city now. My house is on the same page of the melways as the fires now. I never thought they would get as close as ferntree gully. Mother nature is a force to be feared.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Noiseyflower, I am thinking and praying for your Aunt.

They are expecting 40, with lightning plus winds up to 40km p/h. 200 schools are closed tomorrow across the state as well as 150 kindergartens. Let's hope those kids score the day off for nothing!

hug

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ya we certainly are praying for the Victorians today, the anxiety must be horrible, including knowing there are madmen with matchboxes out there somewhere. Apart from them, it is indeed wind and dryness that is the threat. Once a major fire starts moving at multi kms per hour, leapfrogging hot embers in front, it doesn;t make that much difference if the 'normal' air is a few degrees either way (not that 36 is exactly a cool day!) I always thought Brisbane was the countries most inflammable city, with our miles of wooden houses and bush parks all throughout. It's astonishing to think of Melbourne being so threatened while we are at a calm 30 with green grass, flowers and birds. I feel ultra blessed to live here in our lush bubble. Our thoughts are with you.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
Its starting to warm up today, I dont believe the condtions were as bad as the black saturday but just to think two weeks after this tragedy and our fires are still going - thankfully the firies have done a great job with a focus on protecting our infrustructure and homes and Heres hoping and praying that the conditions dont get worse and that we can get a bit closer to get the fires out.

Thoughts and prayers to all those who have been affected, and to those who live in areas that are on high alert.

*In the car while Pink is playing on the radio*
Tristan aged 4 : "Mum is this Pink?"
Flame:"Yes mate this is Pink?"
Tristan:"Are you going to Pink?"
Flame:"Yes i am"
Tristan:"Cool well I'm going to BLUE" smile

Page: