Forums > Help! > Open University (UK)

Login/Join to Participate

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:

I've just been thinking recently about signing up for an Open Uni course- after dropping out of Zoology, for various reasons, back when I was 18 at a 'normal' Uni, I've always sort of wondered about going back and finishing something similar. However, I don't actually think I'd want to go back to a full-time course of the standard Uni type, after being out of education for the last 8 years- and now I have a shiny new job which gives me a lot of time off, the Open Uni is starting to seem like a reasonable option. I'm pretty sure I have both the time and money.

Does anyone have any experiences of doing a course there? I don't know anyone who has, so I'm a little wary about signing up.

Any input will be much appreciated, thanks grin

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Well done on wanting to learn more.

It is always a good thing. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Well, if you have a job you enjoy why would you pay for more education when you can get a million times more knowledge at a library?

Human

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: doppelGangerWell, if you have a job you enjoy why would you pay for more education when you can get a million times more knowledge at a library?

A degree holder looks better than a bookworm to employers, I think smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I already work in a second hand bookshop and spend a mildly unnerving amount of time in libraries, but this job (good though it is) is unlikely to be the last place I ever work. Getting a degree through the open Uni can take 5 years or more, so thinking about it when I *don't* need to look for a new job sounds sensible, I reckon smile

Besides, I want a nice bit of paper with my name on I can take home and show my mummy. wink

Thanks for the input people, I reckon I will go for it grin

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hi hamamelis.

The big question you have to ask yourself and answer honestly is. "Will I go through with this and finish it up once I'm committed to starting ?"

I've known several people who've explored distance education, with the best of intentions only to find themselves losing interest fro whatever reasons. IMO, it requires a certain degree of motivation and commitment to ignore life's distractions and carry on with the course(s) in order to finish up on time.

Some people need the scheduling and structure of an organised, regular university class to avoid falling by the wayside if and when they give in to procrastination.

OTOH I've known several people who have started and finished their distance education with no problems.

Cheers

And good luck