Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
Years and years ago I made a little juggling tutorial on the Oxford University juggling site. I covers 3 ball juggling only, from complete beginner to some pretty advanced moves. It requires Internet Explorer and you have to enable an activeX control I think. It's not malicious honest!

I had a look today and I was pleasantly surprised to see it was still up. I think it's rather good.

I can't edit it or change it anymore (whoever took over from me at Oxford Juggling Society controls the website).

I'd still appreciate comments. It was the product of 4 days in a basement with a friend punctuated by games of Go. Some videos loop much better than others. We were very limited by the space available on the webhost (which is provided free by Oxford).

https://users.ox.ac.uk/~juggsoc/tutor/tutor.html

EDITED_BY: Mascot (1233253911)

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
well it looks quite well organised, but I cant view any of the videos / animations on Win IE 7 or Mac FF3.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
I have no problem in IE 7

If I were doing it again I would try and use a more accessible technology. The first time I tried it said there was an activex object that the site wanted to run which had been blocked.

My guess is you have some sensible security precautions on your web browser.

Firefox reports a missing plugin to me- (video/x-msvideo) which it is unable to find.

What is the modern way to put video up that just works. What does Youtube use?

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
YouTube uses a flash video player. I suspect it might be easier to upload the files to YouTube and then embed them in your site rather than start from scratch, you'd also get the benefit of their performance and not have to pay for the bandwidth though you'd compromise the quality and versatility of the player.

I'd really like to see someone come up with a good flash player for learning tricks. I think it would need three functions to make it worthwhile:

1) Whole video loop (for one-trick vids)
2) A-B looping (where you can set the start and end of the loop)
3) speed control / step

I know that the first two are possible and the slo-mo / reverse functionality used to be built into one of the pen-spinning websites (don't know if that's still the case) but I'm not sure if the A-B loop is compatible with flash (usually .flv) videos.