Forums > Help! > glow poi in hand luggage?

Login/Join to Participate

KosmosBRONZE Member
hyperactive
5 posts

Posted:
in a couple of months i'm taking a few flights around europe, as well as to and from morocco. in my case it made it way cheaper to buy the tickets and not pay for any checked-in luggage. that means i'm travelling just with a light backpack which is fine for such a short time.

i'm aware that means also a big NO for taking my fire POIs on a plane.
what about glow ones? i've got a pair of atom balls on ball chains..
any ideas?

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Hi Cosmos,
You can never be sure when your traveling if your going to get a security guard that is in a bad mood and is feeling particularly vengeance. I once had a security guard not let me on the plane with plastic juggling clubs. But i don't think you should have any problems.

But here are a few things i would suggest that might make your life easier just in case:

1. Call your airline and ask them first. ( they probably won't know what you are talking about but it is worth a try.

2. Even if you are not actually a professional performer if you say you are and you have some promo material(Business Cards, Flyers) on you and explain it is part of your equipment then they will probably go easier on you.

3. Make sure your poi have batteries so you can show them how they work if they ask.

4. Get rid of the ball chain and replace it with some cole cord or similar. Looks a lot less dangerous.

Other than those things there is not much else you can do but do be prepared that it is possible they won't let you on with them.

When i had the troubles with my juggling clubs they were really nice and let me put them in a special post bag and they put them in the hold, but not all airlines will do that.

Good Luck smile
Let us know how you go.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
I've never had problems in europe with glow equipment... one nice security guard even let me watch my bag go through the X-ray scanner (it was a quiet day!).

Always be helpful and courteous, smile nicely at the security guards!

Free business cards are available at vistaprint to give you more of a professional look.

You have to be a bit more cautious with fire kit but again I've never had any problems.

Hope its hassle free for you too!
smile

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
in my recent travels through europe and the US, i would frequently take my globalls in socks on in my hand luggage, and got questioned a couple of times as to what they were, but never got told i couldnt take them on once i'd explained what they were..

that said, if you had balls with chains attached or whatnot, that may be a different case altogether smile

best of luck hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

KosmosBRONZE Member
hyperactive
5 posts

Posted:
sweet.
thanks a lot for all the advice
i'll give it a go and let everyone know how it was

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
what on earth would be the problem with glow poi? Why is it even an issue?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
The problem is that people don't understand what they are, and that scares people, especially if that thing looks like a ball with lots of wires and electronics in side of it on an x-ray.

This is reason i was not allowed to take my juggling clubs on even though i could probably hit my self on the head full force with out it even hurting. If it can be perceived as some kind of weapon they may question you and if the security guard is in a bad mood or worried about getting in trouble by superior then they may stop you.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Also, at least in ZA, internal flights seem to be less strict on this sort of thing. I have not flown internationally for quite a while though.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
sheesh if professional security can't tell the difference between glow poi and explosives they should be sacked.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I dunno, I bet you could get an explosive to look a hell of a lot like a glowpoi if you tried.

hug

sansanmixSILVER Member
Sojourner's delight
5 posts

Posted:
hmmmm....

I'm flying to China and was wondering the same thing.
Has anyone had experience flying to and within China with LED poi in their carry-on?

Loving you would have been like trying to lick my own elbow.

XinixieSILVER Member
Serial Experiments...
22 posts

Posted:
This has been a really helpful read as I am planning to show some friends in America what I can do. I already know how American Customs can be a bit judgemental and for someone in their early 20s, travelling alone you often get looked at like you're smuggling.

I am also one of those unlucky people who even set of the detector machines in nothing but a cotton dress. Don't ask me how that one happened, I have no idea.

I can see how an LED ball might be a problem and I will certainly be prepared to demonstate how they light up when I fly.

Thanks
EDITED_BY: Xinixie (1235424891)

What if everything around you isn't quite as it seems?
What if everything you think you know is an elabourate dream?
..and if you look at your reflection, is that all you want it to be? - Right Where It Belongs: NIN

-->Marmite Lover <3

sansanmixSILVER Member
Sojourner's delight
5 posts

Posted:
Just thought I would touch base!

Made it to China - had a SO in Japan -- airport personnel didn't even blink at the LED poi I had stuffed in my carry on.

Cheers

Loving you would have been like trying to lick my own elbow.

KosmosBRONZE Member
hyperactive
5 posts

Posted:
update:
i've made all my travels around europe + morocco with led pois in hand luggage. no problems. for some flights i detached my ball chains and put them seperately so they looked like some odd jewelry anyway. for the rest i just had string cords.

last month i travelled to italy, this time with my fire pois (again in hand luggage). was a bit scared but had no problems again.

i guess it's not a big deal after all. like someone wrote: that's not what they are looking for.

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
i am going to Philippines this june and bringing with me 60 pieces of led poi stick.. is it considered smuggling? hehehe! i'll be checking it in though...

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yes, it might be considered that... wink

a) find another term for what they are, ex. night-diving
b) say they are a gift => free allowance
c) have small notes of $'s ready to bribe the customs officer (10 or 20 should be enough)
d) good luck wink

Kosmos... wouldn't recommend firepoi in handdluggage at all... the Kevlar is dense enough to show up strangely on the screen. When they check and smell kerosene, or notice the chain, most likely they will strip you off your poi.

Ground staff is human after all and you get away with it sometimes - just don't rely on it wink

I found a note in my staff-bag from airport security "sorry but certain items are prohibited from transportation, we had to open your bag as it seemed suspicious. No items have been removed."

Guess the braided poi, along with the staff and two swords made a strange ensemble wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomce
c) have small notes of $'s ready to bribe the customs officer (10 or 20 should be enough)

Uhh... be careful doing that, depending on where you are that could land you in a lot more trouble than simply having poi in your bag ever could..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Indonesia, India, Philippines should be fine -

you're right, Hamamelis - don't try that in the West (or at least add four zeros wink )

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink