SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
So I was messing around last night transitioning every which way with a 3-beat and tried something weird:

I was spinning a backwards three beat (the one where the poi spin in to you while in front) and brought my arms up as high above my head as they could go, and the weave kept going directly above me. Then I tried bringing it from there directly down behind my head. It felt like I could have kept it going and ended up doing a behind the back three beat. Alas I am not the greatest spinner and had trouble negotiating how to get my arms in a proper position to pursue it.

Has anyone else tried this, or will someone try it... I think it would look really cool.

But it may not be possible at all...

EDITED_BY: doppelGanger (1232926864)
EDIT_REASON: 10 views and no answer! LAZY :)

Human

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Like that, you mean?

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Behind-the-back-Weave-3-beats-BTB-3_14_52

Also, your attitude re replies sucks. People may not have anything useful to say right now, and they don't owe you anything. Learn some patience.

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Blah.

No, that's not at all what I mean. That would be the end result of bringing a reverse weave over directly over your head. I am talking about transitioning directly over your head from a reverse weave into a behind the back weave.

Also, my apologies for being excited, and I think your attitude sucks, I wasn't trying to be mean, I was hoping someone kind would leave a yes or no, and hoped it would nudge someone to. I'll put a smiley face next to it just for YOU.

Human

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
A simple yes or no might have been all you wanted, but those 10 people may not have been able to do the 3 beat and as such wouldn't really know whether such a movement was possible.

But anyways.

My arms don't bend that way... So I couldn't do it, but my brother who can skip using his arms probably could if he had ever used poi in his life... bloody jugglers.

I think it'd be possible if you can move your arms that way, but most people can't do so without injury, so I wouldn't suggest it unless you're quite comfortable with the action without poi.

Maybe you could do it breaking planes anyway, but the thought of doing that makes me shudder.

hug

ExuroThe Prodigy
82 posts

Posted:
I think you'd need triple jointed shoulders

You play with fire,
You're going to get burned.

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonA simple yes or no might have been all you wanted, but those 10 people may not have been able to do the 3 beat and as such wouldn't really know whether such a movement was possible.

That's why I choose the Advanced Poi Moves area wink

You are right, I have been running it through in my mind and I think you would have to put both arms out to allow them to fall back like that, and just like you said it would be pretty ugly. Oh well, the concept looked pretty neat in my mind! I would love to see someone do it though!

I tried it a few times today and ended up hurting my shoulder frown

Human

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ExuroI think you'd need triple jointed shoulders

There's surgery for that right? tongue2

Human

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
There certainly is, please step into my rusty and blood stained shed... err... operating room.

hug

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
::ponders:: Why not! 50 dollars? (or however much that equals in Australia... 75ish?) smile

Human

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
i just tried, I can't do it and I'm not willing do dislocate my shoulders al la Houdini to try to get there.

You can, however, go from that raised up high three beat weave, bring it down fairly quickly in front of you and go into the btb 3 beat just as the crossover points ( ie the weave is "pointing" at the ground )

I find the behind the head stuff is better done when coming in from the side instead but if you really want to go from behind the head you might try.....butterfly to behind ( or over ) the head butterfly, then "tear it apart" and to steal a phrase from Nick Woolsey.....drop the circles down your spine....leaving you spinning two wallplane BTB circles with the hands at hip level.

With that one, you can make a repeating pattern BF-> OTH BF -> three or four circles behind you -> back to BF.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hmm... so wait, when you 'drop the circles down your spine' which plane are you spinning in?

I think I comprehend it and use a similar motion often enough.

If you want a funky way to transition into btb stuff, how about doing stalls up and down behind your back and then straight into a btb buzzsaw? grin

hug

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
in wallplane, hands apart..it leaves you "back lit" and looking like you're stepping right out of the fires of hell especially if you zombie walk toward the audience.

Quote:If you want a funky way to transition into btb stuff, how about doing stalls up and down behind your back and then straight into a btb buzzsaw

Ummm yea, sure, I'll get right on it,

Actually I've never played with btb stalls, I'll give 'em a go but I hate the btb buzzsaw,,, no scratch that, I just did it and I like it.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The transition is a little awkward on that one but because you only have to break plane with one it doesnt look so bad and you can keep it to breaking plane with your arm and not your poi, so its still parallel with the other one.

I like the idea of being back lit, I'm working on perfecting a movement atm that does just that... but I want to get isis heads and if I do it I'll most surely lose hair...

Essentially its a point isolation behind the back for almost a full revolution... Its not REALLY a point isolation, but its close and if you look at it from the front while I hide the heads behind my back it looks like a point isolation anyway.

Wait, I'm going offtopic aren't I? sorry...

hug

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
No problems with the off topicness, it's all btb stuff anyway, and food for thought..and that's what we're all here for, right ?

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Well, I don't think you can get off topic seeing as what I thought may be possible clearly is not smile I was enjoying reading the dialogue between you guys, gave me some ideas! I just wish I were a little more proficient!

Human

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Proficiency will come with time, it's all about practice, unless of course you're one of these "naturals" that annoy those of us who have to slog through the moved hundreds, or thousands of times to get it right.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Damn those naturals that taunt us with their skills!

Where are my poi? I need someone to play with!

hug

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Haha, I am not the best, but it all seems to be coming to me fairly easily (a few moves eluded me for a while). However, I have yet to attempt many things.

Reels worked out M_N_S, got the corkscrew today and hyperloops last night. I am working on through wraps and under the leg stuff right now, fun fun.

Human

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I never really broke into under the leg stuff much... I really should...

I tend to get wrapped up in things that can be done a large number of different ways or movements that can be altered to end up with different movements...

hug

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Gymnasts do dislocate exercises with their shoulders as part of conditioning. So yes, it's possible, and would end up just the same as a normal btb 3bt. If you want to work on it just train using a dislocate bar. A broom handle will do, just work at doing that movement and progressively hold the bar with your hands closer together (start with your arms pretty wide unless you're already hypermobile).

On a side note, is it really worth anyone's time just to leave a yes or no? If someone left a yes you'd want to know why, and if someone said no, you'd probably demand an explanation, too. It's doesn't hurt to be civil, you may even find people to be more helpful if you act more like this forum is populated by people and not your own personal answer-generating machines.

Just a thought.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
You might be able to work it into Olive's hybrid stuff.

If you watch KaelGotRice's video about last year's Firedrums, you can see what he is doing. You might then be able to twist your arm at a mid point as it goes behind your back and go into a buzzsaw or weave.

Need to work on the hybrids then....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Yup, I was just about to mention 'My-arms-don't-bend-that-way'.

Is the closest thing I've seen to what you're describing. Not the same, but the closest.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr_JoeGymnasts do dislocate exercises with their shoulders as part of conditioning. So yes, it's possible, and would end up just the same as a normal btb 3bt. If you want to work on it just train using a dislocate bar. A broom handle will do, just work at doing that movement and progressively hold the bar with your hands closer together (start with your arms pretty wide unless you're already hypermobile).

On a side note, is it really worth anyone's time just to leave a yes or no? If someone left a yes you'd want to know why, and if someone said no, you'd probably demand an explanation, too. It's doesn't hurt to be civil, you may even find people to be more helpful if you act more like this forum is populated by people and not your own personal answer-generating machines.

Just a thought.

I wasn't trying to be uncivil, you took it that way. And actually no, a yes or no answer would suffice, as it wouldn't be that hard to figure it out, I am just limited by my flexibility. I appreciate your answer, but there are so many sensitive people around here, if you have a problem with my threads just don't come in. I never claimed to be nice, and I sure don't need a psychology lesson on a poi forum.

Human

ExuroThe Prodigy
82 posts

Posted:
Let me know if you get it when you get those bionic implants

You play with fire,
You're going to get burned.