Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
its got pretty pictures, love the one for Jedi, made me giggle

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
OK go me uni....

I have to say its the hardest thing ive ever tried to learn, harder than contact juggling (at least i got a few moves right away) harder than poi by a huge streak.

I got across my kitchen a couple of times, and landed on my ass once. It will do for today.

peace

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Nice one Richee, and cheers for the credit at the end... biggrin I also wish I could read it!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: [Nx?

]
I have to say its the hardest thing ive ever tried to learn

hardest thing you've ever tried to learn in one day you mean? wink

i bet you'll be riding forwards it within a week smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:

hyperloops -
trying to get an under the leg hyperloop going - but alas its not working yet grrrr

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
Isolations with my arms folded.

No, seriously - I have video!

wink

~peace is a fire~

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Straightjacket isolations? Sounds jedi :P

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
mico: I can believe that: I've experimented with isolated crossers but not straightjackets! I'm thinking lots of movement in your torso?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
Ahem.. Okay, you're all too good for me! smile

It's not a straightjacket (I prefer to call those hug's)

It's arms folded in a kinda hip-hop stylee, iykwim.
(One over, one under)

..doing a 3-breat weave with doubles (extra turns) each side
to be specific.

I guess this is similar to what you mean by crossers?

Only thought of it on monday, last night got stealth vid'd
and it was sooo clean - I think it's a beautiful move, and
will probably be a fav for some time.. ubblove

Finally I feel like I can do isolations! Hurrah!!

Now, Isolated Hugs... You gotta be kidding ubbloco

(It's gonna look pretty awful, no? eek)

~peace is a fire~

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vampyricacid

its got pretty pictures, love the one for Jedi, made me giggle

It also has the technical term 'Wibble' in it!

biggrin

(I'm guessing that's not a Czech word..)

~peace is a fire~

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
heh.. yeah, I was joking to a degree when I said isolated straightjacket. I can conceptualize the move, but can't make the concept look pretty... talk about torso thrashing with small poi ubbloco umm

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
Hey, with inversions and such like I'm sure someone
must be able to actually properly cross their arms
(proper folded, so if someone pulled your hands...
you'd make a knot!) whilst still spinning!!
ubbidea
Hmmm, I think it would be quite a stretch to keep
going...

~peace is a fire~

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Poi - Neatning up my butterfly turning btb waistwrap where one arm goes over head thinggy me whatsit. And... just playing around with btb waistwraps really. Quite obsessed with them at the moment.

Juggling - Just some basic 4ball patterns

Hula Hoops - That stick one arm up, and head out thing.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
flowers. of any sort.
hyperlooping is starting to come together (arsn, you rock smile )
started playing with stalls a little bit.

I've discovered that flags make sure everything you do, you do really well. It's all well and good fudging through a 5bt weave with poi, but when flags are being spun, you need to do it spot on wink

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Flags are fun aren't they? I recently stumbled into their fun by dropping my sock poi into a pair of pillow cases.. I loved it.. need to make me some real flag poi now smile

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
mico- check the poi goes punk thread... I ahve a vid of an sj and what you are doing whihc is a huggy crosser...

actually.. here: [Old link]
scroll down to part II clarifications..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Inverted hyperloop - Every now and then I'll have a streak of clean ones. I guess I really need to work on perpetual tangles before getting too fancy with these. They still look like an ugly tech move when I do them but I know they can be cleaned up.

Lots of isolations
Isolated crossers - Not the straitjacket (both arms crossed) but one arm crossed and isolated with a weave or butterfly weave. It seems to isolate better with turns.

Isolated 4bt. TTNs - I finally got the 4bt. TTNs both ways so I'm working on isolating them. They sort of isolate around your arms and it almost looks like a wrap... funky.

Isolations mixed with thru-wraps - Arm\leg\neck thru-wraps pivot somewhere down the chain so do an isolation with your other arm to match the smaller circle. It's tough keeping the timing even but they look nice when you nail them.

Lots of other stuff I'm polishing but those are the ones I keep coming back to.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

Devilsticks smell.
(unless you're DsAds or Dev Kev, in which case, the don't smell at all)

don't worry, I'm just planning to learn the basics, so that I can fool around with 3 staff ubbrollsmile
beeing as good as Adam or Kevin would take me a lifespan ubbloco

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
I'm working on making it to california. so I can hop a barge to hawaii. so I can work on the beach as a cabana boy for a couple years. so I can save up money and buy an airline ticket to china. so I can get trained as a ninja, come back, and fight crime on the mean streets of greenfield. naw I'm kiddin.... I don't know the names of any hardly any tricks, I guess I'm not interested in the names enough, but right now, with poi, I'm working on spinning around in circles with the poi spinning like a weave behind my back... but on the plane of a windmill..... nevermind... maybe I really will go to china

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Mmmmm!

I just found a new trick to play with - The straight jacket weave!

Enter a clockwise straight jacket on the right side and carry it to the left. Unravel and enter a counter-clockwise straight jacket on the left and carry it to the right. Unravel and repeat.

I just found this a few minutes ago so its really sloppy but I think in a week or two I should have it down fairly well... Then for the butterfly version >:)

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
BTB Forward and Reverse 3 beat+related transitions - all the fun of hitting yourself in the back of the head whilst people walk by watching.

Flowers/Anti-spin flowers Forward and Reverse- Very messy, need to improve timing and teach my left hand to spin flat again.

Isolated weave forward and reverse-Almost there but it still doesn't work right. Shall just keep trying untill my arms understand the movement *wanders around flat trying what Dunc showed him*

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
Continuous shower-back-scrubbing stops... biggrin

~peace is a fire~

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
lots of beautiful wraps (mainly forearm of opposite arm, or swinging R/L poi over/under L/R upper arm to wrap on upper arm of R/L, btb wrapping, double wrapping (ie both poi wrap around wrist of opposite hand at the same time, and also holding hands together so the poi spiral around your hands until they hit them and you twist your wrists slightly in the opposite direction and they unwind, then rolling into a weave-flower), and beginning to get into lots of foot-wraps).

(stalls are a huge part of wrappping it, i think, because you begin to have a greater control over what your poi is doing, and IMO i think the control needed to stall a poi is very similiar to the control needed to wrap artfully..).. so i am doing lots of stalls, n stalls-to-wrapping combos, and i dance about a lot when i spin, lots of transitions from weaves to butterflies, btb weaves n waist wraps (still trying to get butterfly wraist wraps), and throwing my poi (usually my R poi, but sometimes my L) (even a R poi throw during a rev. 3bt-btb!, throwing the R poi on its 2nd beat on the L side btb so that it curls up and over your head for your R hand to grab and take back into the 3btb on the L side again (the L poi having down its 2 revolutions on the R side) - make sense??

5-beat split-time thread-the-needle (and rev), straight-jacket butterflies (and crossover SJB's, too), air-wraps (mainly just 1 revolution or 2), hyperloops (fwd n rev weave - still trying to get bf hyperloops), isolations (mainly weave n buzzsaw), 4-beat corkscrews (weave n butterfly (i forget what the butterfly version of corkscrew (in the horiz. plane) is called..))..

i think that'll do.

smile

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

Amaranthinenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Working mostly on tandem moves with my partner. Put both our poi in one hand, then we're doing interweaving stuff a lot. (Each of us forming one half of the move.) Some of it requires absolute timing, and we're not lit on most of it yet, but getting pretty close to it. Looks awesome with the LED poi we use, though. smile

poitasticnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
getting what i know perfect and fluide and getting onto all the flurries that make a good performance

3bt forward revers, turn
5bet forward, working on turn and revers soon
windmillwith giant
butterfly flourishes
and music, always music

If ther are any poi spinners out there in the sydney area and wana meet up, e-mail meh at benpietershawke(at)bigpond(dot)com

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
one handed butterfly turns, neck wraps and arm wraps, split and same time when possible.
all btb wrap sequences

various 5-beat arm wraps where they beat on the same arm, one arm and either leg, one arm and a neck, etc... with regular and inverted exits when possible.

bth, utl, bfly and weave wraps that wrap on one side, turn somehow and then unwrap.

really mostly just learning to glide my feet heel/toe style while i'm spinning. and getting used to glowstick weight more.

-- dut

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
bfly version shouldn't be any harder. try the BTB version though. biggrin or the half-front, half-BTB (impossible) version. I can reel in it, but can't enter or exit it. hehe. imagine the straight jacket but with one hand sticking thru the elbow from behind the back, while the other is going btb from the front side. haha. i'm pretty sure ben thought i was on heavy, heavy drugs when i tried to show him at powwow. wink

-- dut

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
transitions, most involving some type of stall or wrap.
tidying up my planes too. coz they suck!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

FiraBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
im working on them inversions. and isolations...

i think...

who knows what the damn things are called when there is no teacher around??? :P

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
listen to your poi. :P
they are the true teachers... smile

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

Page: ...