Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There's been talk and news of the possibility of trying Bush and others in his camp for International War Crimes.

There are other countries with these laws in place in such a manner that should he set foot on their soil, they can arrest him and put him on trial for them.

I agree with this and believe in accountability.

Thoughts?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

railspinnerjourneyman
99 posts

Posted:
perhaps your right. bush probably would enjoy it to.

The less people know the more they believe

truthsetsfreestranger
6 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately if Bush comes to trial he can plead mental incompetence and everyone would have to agree. Anyhow, I am planning a citizen's arrest if he comes close enough. It probably won't succeed, but I will try.

LevFiredance Philosopher
79 posts

Posted:
Oh! Thought.
Raising taxes as a form of punishment.

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Doc Lightning
Is it? The EU has enjoyed a spectacular rise in economic power since its federalization. What they have going for them is the fact that all the countries speak different languages. That simple fact will prevent the sort of federalization that the U.S. has. You might be able to freely live in Germany if you're Spanish... but would you want to if you don't speak a lick of German?
A pretty solid point. Though I suppose it's worth noting that around the borders people are very multilingual (in my experience). I'm not saying it's happening tomorrow, but I wouldn't consider it unlikely. The USA wasn't exactly founded entirely by the British.

Quote:On the other hand, I do wonder if the E.U. would do well to federalize a bit more. Specifically, I would like to see the E.U. invest a bit more in its military. Why? So the next time some nutty cracker winds up in the White House and decides to start invading sovereign nations just for sh!ts and giggles the E.U. can say "Sorry, bub. But all those battleships and carriers have to get through OUR battleships and carriers, first." Might also be nice to have them say "No, we really WOULD like you to sign and abide by that Kyoto accord or we will start bombing you."
I don't like the use of military force as such a hefty bargaining tool, but I do like the idea that they could capably militarize and protect against US aggression.

Quote:
I just had a very careful read over the entire Constitution and there are two things I can't find. I cannot find a clause that expressly prohibits states from declaring independence from the U.S.

There is this clause: "Section 10. No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation; grant letters of marque and reprisal; coin money; emit bills of credit; make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts; pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts, or grant any title of nobility."

And then I cannot find any clause providing for a method by which a state COULD legally declare independence. I don't think they thought about that possibility any more than they thought about the idea that Florida could tip up and land on top of Georgia.
Well I imagine in my ideal world there would be some amending. I'd like to see the choice available, I think if Texas got uppity or something and wanted out, they'd do it, then probably end up coming back. The union is beneficial, and states simply made to follow the agreed terms they have plenty of room to do as they please and self govern. I think our constitution(s) are just messy at this point. It almost seems as though a careful rewrite every so often isn't a bad idea. although emphasis on careful.

Quote:
California MIGHT be able to pull it off, but it would be a rough start.
Yeah CA covers a lot of climates and ecosystems. At least compared to other states. It would require a fundamental overhaul of their industry.

Quote:
Quote:Or we could dismantle everything, give it back to the natives and let them sort out some laws.

I'm sorry, but they don't have any more right to this land than I do. I was born here. As were the last seven generations of my family. Nobody alive today had anything to do with the things that happened then, horrible as they might have been. And...guess what? The natives are immigrants, too. They came out of Asia. Maybe they should give the continent back to the animals they usurped?

It was a joke. There are too many of us to leave, and their nations are long since useless. Still disappointing what happened there, and I think the current way of dealing with them isn't right, but I am joking about "giving it back."

LevFiredance Philosopher
79 posts

Posted:
Quote:Is it? The EU has enjoyed a spectacular rise in economic power since its federalization. What they have going for them is the fact that all the countries speak different languages. That simple fact will prevent the sort of federalization that the U.S. has. You might be able to freely live in Germany if you're Spanish... but would you want to if you don't speak a lick of German?
Yes.

Having experience and accepting people with spanish work visa up from mexico, being on the west coast (Vancouver)so they can get US work visa, then Canadian work visa as the US one expires.

What they want is to go from having NO money to a $10 an hour salary which is barely a living wage in the places they work and that gives you an understanding of exactly how little money they make where they used to live.
The difference between Canada, the US and Germany isn't language because almost all of them don't speak English either, it's the difference is transportation... Imagine a 2-3 day car trip compared to a 5 transfer plane flight in cost, now imagine how much that means to someone who is barely making a living wage.

-----

I do think we need to have a global justice military based on ethics and not politics though, create a new world order based on unity of countries. I strongly disagree that it should be based in Amerika though, I'd probably vote for EU, probably Norway.

Page: