Digsystranger
6 posts

Posted:
Hey guys! I'm new round here (just tried my first burn last night) and I have a few questions. Sorry if there's already a thread about this, but you all seem pretty cool so I doubt you'll mind. wink

Anyway first question: I don't know many tricks yet so more often than not I'll want to put my wicks out before they burnout. Yesterday I just spun them really fast and they went out. But when I saw fire spinning in Thailand they used their fuel source like a bucket of water to extinguish their wicks, which seemed pretty crazy. I have no idea what type of fuel they were using, I'm just using Kero atm, (tho I'm thinking about buying some firewater). Anyone know if this is a safe way to put out your wick?

Also if I end up buying some firewater does anyone know if its safe to use for firebreathing? I'm not planning on firebreathing anytime soon, but if I end up buying 5L of the stuff I might want to give it a spin. I read a letter written by the manager of Juggleart saying they didn't condone it ([Old link]), but that seem more like they didn't want to be blamed if anything went wrong rather than any negative effect from the fuel. Anyone ever tried it?

Finally on the same subject, I've read that any alchol based fuel is inappropriate for firebreathing due to the low flash point and high chance of blowback. However, idiot that I am :P, I realised I have tried firebreathing with alchol in the past. In Japan they sell something call Spirytus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirytus_rektyfikowany) which is 96% alcohol (I know great stuff right?). Anyway I was at a BBQ with a few mates drinking this stuff, and I decided to try some amature fire breathing (without practicing aspiration with water first). So I take a swig of Spirytus and blow it straight into the BBQ and ... hey no problem, it works! Havent tried it since, and now I've read a little about fire breathing I probably wont, but wouldn't using something that's intended to be ingested be safer than using something toxic like Kero? I can probably guess the answer is something to do with the risk of blowback, but just wondering if anyone else has tried this.

Again I'd just like to make it clear I'm in no way considering firebreathing with any fuels (let alone fuels that are unreccomended) I'm just curious what you guys think. grin

Nice to meet you guys, and thanks for ya help. Now I'm off to buy a pair of glopoi!!

EDITED_BY: Digsy (1232502997)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't be putting my wicks out on anything but a towel... I don't even use moisture on mine, I make sure there is NO fuel on it and I very quickly completely cover the flame, removing its oxygen source... but you do have to be swift about it or it'll burn the towel.

Most people use a damp towel, but I'm wary about using any moisture on it while it is so hot... I fear it will ruin my wicks in some way.

Do NOT put it in fuel, thats really silly, don't even fuel up the wicks after they are out and still hot, wait til they are cool enough to hold by the metal that connects your poi to your chains.

Fire water is good stuff. Its D60.

I don't think you can even fire breathe with it because the flash point is too high, it doesnt ignite easily.

Never use alcohol to fire breathe because you'll get drunk as you use it. Theres a thread for fire breathing fuels that you should look at before attempting it... I'll see if I can find it... I personally don't recommend fire breathing, its kinda gimmicky.

hug

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I can't find that precise video, but just search "fire breathing" and start looking at all the posts, theres heaps, use the advanced search function to get stuff that has been posted a while back as well as the really recent stuff.

hug

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Hey Digsy - I won't say anything about firebreathing, since I know nothing about it (but I'll second MNS's advice about not using alcohol).

As for dipping your wicks in, you *can* do that with kerosene, because it isn't as combustible as other fuels, but it isn't necessarily a good idea. In the first place, you should *never* bring your fire into the fueling area, because even if it can be safely dipped into the fuel, in the event of an accident, you don't want your fire to ignite any spilled fuel. Besides that, because so many spinners use different fuels, it's not good to get in the habit of doing that, since somebody may be using another fuel or a mix that could go up in flames.

MNS - the moisture shouldn't damage your wicks; in fact, dipping them in water can be used in an emergency to put them out if necessary; it's just that you'll have to go through the laborious drying process which means you can't use that toy for as long as that takes. The only risk with the towel is that if there is *too* much moisture - like, dripping wet - the flames can produce steam that can scald the hands or face. I find the extra weight of the water helps put out the flame a bit faster, with less chance of it re-igniting.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it wasn't based on any rational idea, I just take fairly good care of my wicks in general. Dipping hot metal into liquid doesn't enthuse me huge amounts. I'd rather be on the safe side with wick care at any point, so long as it doesn't diminish general saftey.

I'll also add a point I thought of after reading Muckys post that if you use a fuel that you can extinguish your flaming tool in, you still shouldnt do that in front of other twirlers, in case they get the same ideas about their fuel with a much lower flash point.

You may have potentially meant that anyway, but it wasnt as clear. smile

hug

Digsystranger
6 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice. I guess getting drunk accidently is probably one of the main reasons people don't use alcohol as a firebreathing fuel (actually I didn't even consider this :S).

On the subject of fire twirling, I read that it was better to put your poi in the fuel as soon as you extinguish them, to prevent them from smoldering.

So are there any problems associated with twirling out your poi? Coz this seems the easiest way to me.

neospy369GOLD Member
It's my burn life and i'll burn if I want to!!
76 posts

Posted:
I use a fire blanket to put out all my toys

I spin therefore, I inspire. You spin therefore, you inspire.

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
I use a damp towel laid out on the ground and just fold it over the wicks to cut off the oxygen supply to the flame. I don't keep the towel particularly wet, just damp enough that you don't have to be in a huge rush about smothering them before the towel itself catches fire. Never had any problem with extinguishing any prop this way and it seems to do no harm at all to the wicks, they've never needed drying out as a result of doing this. Seems a sensible way of doing things to me.

Handy tip: Keep your towel wrapped/folded up tightly inside something that closes like a biscuit tin or pasta jar or something, you'll almost never have to re-dampen it because it'll never dry out smile

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Digsy
So are there any problems associated with twirling out your poi? Coz this seems the easiest way to me.

your wicks will just degrade faster. As the fuel runs out and the flames get smaller the fire is burning the kevlar instead of the fuel vapor. I try to extinguish my wicks before they run out because the lst part of a spin with small flames is kinda lame so i figure i might as well save my wicks from the wear.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Digsystranger
6 posts

Posted:
Ah, so everyone uses a towel eh? Guess I'll try that from now on! grin

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
A damp towel and a quick re-dunk in the fule to stop the smouldering works a treat.
Just make sure the re-dunk is a quicky and not a mini-soak, for no other reason than you'll get a load of fuel over everything smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
A damp towel will not hurt your wicks at all. A sopping wet towel would be a nuisance but it;s not necessary to the towel that wet. It's not the water in itself that's putting out the fire, it's just more effective at cutting off the air supply.
Some people pat or push on the towel while it's folded over the flame, but I've seen people get scalded doing that as the hot metal heats the water. It's generally not necessary to touch it at all. Just wait a few seconds and it will go out.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....