Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > It\'s better when your out of it.

Login/Join to Participate

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
So I picked up poi about, I don't know, 5 months ago when my live in girlfriend and I broke up. We got back together and I lost all the time I had to practice, slowly leaving the oh so fun world of poi...

Well, we broke up again and I am on the couch, and at the bar more often than not. I picked up my poi again and have learned 5 or so moves that I was really struggling with before. Interestingly enough I think I do better after a few drinks (not condoning it, just saying). I seem to be more relaxed and the poi just do their thing!

Human

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Hrm, this forum lacks of energy.

Human

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Its a weekend a lot of people are out playing on the weekend. Lots of people tend to post while they're at work, I believe.

Anyway, intoxication does help me learn some things, but it interrupts some of my tech, makes it all sloppy like.

I tend to poi in times when I'm waiting for something... waiting for a train... waiting for someone to show up and you go somewhere else (the time when you can't start doing something else because you'll just get interrupted.) Waiting for classes or whatever else you've got to wait about for.

hug

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
I find I spin much better when 100 percent sober. Under the influence of various things I tend to forget or just miss out a lot of stuff I know and I don't move around as much. Each to their own though.

Let my words, dear friends, be treasures. Weightless golden butterflies that hang before your eyes for seconds, then are gone. But the dust of truth and beauty that their wingbeats leave behind will settle on your soul and make you happy. - Edward Monkton

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I agree with puff, really. Its only learning new stuff that can be easier because it allows us to sort of make grey what was black and use what we know about some movements to trick ourselves into performing a certain motion.

hug

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
I am finding that after sobering up I can't do what I did, however, it makes it a hundred times easier to find that flow which makes the trick all that much closer. I spent 7 hours yesterday working out the technique to a few tricks I'd mastered while drunk! I guess to each his own.
EDITED_BY: doppelGanger (1231114156)

Human

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I think the main difference here, doppelGanger is that you're reasonably new to it all. Once you get into stuff that requires really fine control, rather than a good level of basic control it starts to get inhibited by the intoxicants. Some of the stuff I do needs to be done just right or it'll look absolutely rubbish or potentially hit me, as the poi move quite close to one another or to my other arm in doing it. (But I guess I could make it not quite as 'tight' and have it work, but this is what I'm used to)

Usually takes me a little bit less to remember the movements I worked out while intoxicated, but I think that might be due to my approach to poi in general.

I like to think about the way different poi movements are related.

Breaking it down to basic components is what begins this... Split time, even time, same direction, opposites. <--basic stuff.

And then using that basic stuff is more advanced stuff...poi to poi interactions (The stuff above probably would have made you think of poi to poi) poi to arm interactions(This makes antispin and spin flowers) Then theres head to hand combinations and head to head, even in a twisted way cord to cord(Isolations), but I prefer to drop that into the poi to hand interactions (because the hand follows in the same circle as the poi just at a split time to it.)

From there it goes into ratios. isolation poi to hand is 1:1

A cateye is poi to hand -1:1 I suppose. Then theres 3:1 (four petal flower)

But I guess most of this is whizzing somewhere above your head for now, but a chunk of it should make sense for now anyway and I bet that if I showed you it'd make heaps more sense. I hope you can pluck out all that is relevant to you anyway, I just guess I got carried away.

hug

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonI think the main difference here, doppelGanger is that you're reasonably new to it all.

I think that is very much true, working on the harder moves now, for me anyway (behind the back weave) and I had to be sober for it. It definitely does wash out the black and white to grey though. What you said makes perfect sense, I have been learning all my moves step by step, with the theory to guide rather than just spinning it. I am finding, with relief, that everything really is building on itself, and just as it is built, can be taken down in blocks. I think the drink just made it easier to feel the flow, and if you feel the flow (correct me if I am wrong) the rest is cake.

Human

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: doppelGanger I think the drink just made it easier to feel the flow, and if you feel the flow (correct me if I am wrong) the rest is cake.

*correct*
if it only was that easy grin

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Yeah. Poi often seem to have a mind of their own. Usually intent on braining you. Whether you are sober or not....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:

Hmm.. It sometimes *feels* better when you're a bit out of it, but looks better?

I think not wink

That said- I do think some of the better spins I've had have been after a few drinks when I've loosened up a bit, 'cos I never really try and dance when I'm sober..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

10beezlyBRONZE Member
Named 2008 MVP by Swisher Sweets
13 posts

Posted:
id say that the drinks might help, but something that makes you dance for several hours will also help your lights trail a lot harder in your retinas, more fun for all. + herb = great time.

"not that i condone it" haha

eat well
stay fit
die anyway

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: 10beezly+ herb = great time.

+1 smile

Human

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: doppelGangerI am finding that after sobering up I can't do what I did, however, it makes it a hundred times easier to find that flow which makes the trick all that much closer. I spent 7 hours yesterday working out the technique to a few tricks I'd mastered while drunk! I guess to each his own.

Yeah really? I found that after sobering up I'd need to re-learn it, but it'd come to me fairly quickly, but that might be because while doing it I make a few mental notes for later on, how many beats it has, how many beats it feels like, directions, arm positions, poi positions.

hug

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'm not sure about learning, I don't think I've tried to learn anything when drunk, but spinning certainly feels great when drunk. I like to roll with the movements, and stumble around "drunken style". I think that in combination with the fact that I care less about what people think when I'm drunk makes it more enjoyable.

Doppel, it's probably easier for you because you're relaxed, both physically and mentally, many people over-think their movements, which ironically causes them to make a mistake.

Mmm, I haven't been drunk for nearly half a year now...

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: NathanielEverist
Mmm, I haven't been drunk for nearly half a year now...

But which year? 2009? Being only 18 days long so far you've been sober 9 days.

Am I just following you around just to take the mickey out of you?

hug

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Hahaha, by half a year I mean 6 months, but no, I've gotten inebriated three times this year so far, but not drunk.

And yes, it does seem like I have a shadow that's pointing and laughing at lot, but I don't mind having the mickey taken from me, as I give it freely. I mean, my avatar is of me setting fire to my hair, and despite what some people may think, it's not pixel-art, I've just got a very very crappy camera.

DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
lol! Oh my goodness! I'll be laughing for days!

I agree that it can be fun to spin drunk but I think I get hit in the face a heck of a lot more and lose what I'm trying to learn. It does make me feel warm when I practice at night though.

lol! Crappy camera!

"When we dance with the faeries, we dance with the reflections of our true selves and the true inner self of the world."

"If you keep thinking like that, you'll never get to meet a Unicorn."

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Why think in terms of half years, when you could think in terms of half orbits round the sun... you know the amount of orbit where in a binary star system the suns would go from 0-degree to 1st-degree.. if they had titanic arms...
crazy

+Alien Jon

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Taking it a bit further, how hard would it be to spin the relationship between the earth (you), sun (fixed point) and moon (single poi)?

Or, if you have enough arms, Saturn, where you need about 32 poi.

Also, if you get enough people, could you model a solar system in accurate(ish) timing with poi?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland