Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yowsa, stalls, stalls, stalls.

I've become addicted to them lately, from just cleaning up my horizontal stalls to eventual perfection to cross armed horizontal stalls with a brief isolated plane change just to uncross the arms. What fun!

Plane changes are really rad, too. Essentially this just means exploiting the fact that at its point a stall has 0 energy in it and as such can be moved off in any direction you please on an x, y OR z axis.

You can come into double stalls in the middle from same direction same time and come out in butterfly, but you can also come out with your poi in a corkscrew plane!

So whats your favourite stall?

Anyway, I'd rather keep this more about sharing ideas on how to use them than learning how to do them so do you have a stall that is "yours"? A certain pose you like striking when you do it? A face you pull? A fruit you enjoy during a poi session full of stalls?

hug

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
I think one of my favorite stalls would be: Butterfly in front so the poi are coming up from the bottom, stall them both right in front of the face, then let then come down. I think it looks neat with fire smile

Human

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
My favorite fun pose involves extending one arm straight up into a vertical stall with the other arm crooked at the elbow, hand at the waist doing a downward diagonal stall (or sometimes leaving it spinning) whilst standing dramatically on one foot. It's *so* cheesy - doubly so if you exclaim, "Ole!" as you do it!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
-opposite stalls
-switches
-stands
-gilligans
-pendulums

all right,

grin

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

katieorosBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I have a question about stalls! (since they're the topic in here ^_^)

The only videos I've ever seen which demonstrate stalls were performed with sock poi. How difficult is it to perform stalls with poi on ropes/chains? Does it require any different techniques than sock poi?

--Katie O.

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: katieorosI have a question about stalls! (since they're the topic in here ^_^)

The only videos I've ever seen which demonstrate stalls were performed with sock poi. How difficult is it to perform stalls with poi on ropes/chains? Does it require any different techniques than sock poi?

It will vary depending on the fabric of the sock poi, but essentially it's the same technique. If you have learnt stalls with a stretchy material it will probably take a bit longer to adjust to chain.

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
There are no different techniques for it, but if it has tails it can be a bit difficult because of the extra drag, you have to compensate for that and the weight of it can also impact on the way you have to do the stall. As a rule, heavier is easier.

hug

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Double same time butterfly horizontal stalls into a plane change then just moving the poi in a circle in a horizontal buzzsaw plane in same time then stall in the same position I entered into that plane and back into butterfly. smile

Oh, if people want tips on stalls fire up a new thread if you like, I've got heaps of tips to get out there as well as two video tutorials on stalls with enough material to make another one... ... I guess I really love stalls.

hug

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: katieorosI have a question about stalls! (since they're the topic in here ^_^)

The base technique is the same. Here is a very succinct article about stalls and floaters (AKA Parallels) by David Yates:
https://www.nightanddaydance.com/poi/tutorials/tangents.php

As a general rule, I would say that poi with very little drag (wind resistance) and a lot of the mass focussed at the very end of the poi head, will give a very crisp feeling for stalls. Socks with some heavy heads work, but a heavy weight on a thin tether, like Colecord, will really make it clear. Check out Thomas' Nevipoi for a good example of what I'm talking about:
https://www.nevisoul.com/nevisoul/Gear.html

Tails (lots of drag) make it tricky. Tethers with some drag make it a little hazier. Tethers that are elastic may be confusing. Some people like them, but translating to stalls with chain may take some time from stretchies.

Elongated poi heads add wobble, so are a bit trickier to get super clean stalls. The wobble is minimized if you have most of the mass (ie embedded washers/hardware) right in the very end... rather than a uniform weighted long head.

Hope that helps =)

-Alien Jon

+Alien Jon

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Not going to share any of your stall-related joy, Jon?

hug

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
My favourite stall is a toilet stall. Hyuk hyuk hyuk.

On a serious note, horizontal box stalls are sweet.
And man, I'm worried about your addiction to stalls, maybe you should go to stall rehab at your local poi clinic.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
My addiction to stalls will finish when all of my stalls and plane changes are perfect.

hug

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Perfection possesses only an illusion of possibility. If you want "perfect" you'll be training a long time.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I've got a lifetime.

hug

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Jesus that was a fast response. The only problem with a lifetime is that it's not quantifiable, in my case, being a chronic smoker, drinker and masturbater, I'll be surprised if I live past 30. But I guess that's enough time to get the basics of poi down to an acceptable level.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
My name is Stuart, not Jesus.

But some more stall related action.

I have enough material for a THIRD tutorial on stalls, so if anyone wants I can make another (I really should compress it all into one video or at least sequence them up on youtube...

Stalls that run like this...

Non-Https Image Link

Are really fun, especially if you throw in a plane change.

--- is the poi cord 0 is the head @ is a hand === is the arm and ( ) is just to show my body. grin
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1232110175)
EDIT_REASON: Image addition.

hug

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Jesus-Stuart, I get the two confused, must happen all the time.

Definitely make some more teaching goodness in video form dude, if you could compress them into one be-all-and-end-all stall epic, that'd be sweet.

I spent ages looking at your diagram not knowing what was going on until I finally just skipped it to the bottom where it explains what's going on. Is the bottom poi meant to be in the other hand? Otherwise that's one hell of a crazy stall.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The ascii drawing I did was edited by HoP, spaces removed and such so here it is again, probably making a whole lot more sense! grin

hug

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Ah yes, that is nice. You know what, just for you, I'm going to spend the rest of the week working on my stalls. Oh, there's only one more whole day until Sunday. Oh well, that'll give me plenty of time to get those stalls you were showing me down. *blows nails in an overly cocky manner*

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Quote:MNS
I have enough material for a THIRD tutorial on stalls, so if anyone wants I can make another (I really should compress it all into one video or at least sequence them up on youtube...
I want !

Also how do you get into them?

looks like full izo thou,

:R

hug

PS: (For ASCI is good the [code] tag.)

POI THEO(R)IST

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MuckyMy favorite fun pose involves extending one arm straight up into a vertical stall with the other arm crooked at the elbow, hand at the waist doing a downward diagonal stall (or sometimes leaving it spinning) whilst standing dramatically on one foot. It's *so* cheesy - doubly so if you exclaim, "Ole!" as you do it!

Along the same vein I like doing a stall with the right poi up in the middle, the left poi down in the middle and then raising myself up "with" the right poi and standing on one leg, placing my right foot on my left leg, just above the knee. tongue2

hug

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
One stall I use frequently..is to start with a 3 beat weave, step forward with the right foot and stall the right poi straight down in front of the right leg ( while keeping the other one spinning ) just as that right poi stops moving. step forward with the left leg and turn 90 degrees to the left while bringing the left leg forward "behind" the right and giving the poi a little kick and yoinking it into a plane change so I end up spinning an atom.

Stalling in atomics is fun too..it's different.

Going from a 3 beat and stalling the poi in split time BTL while making a OOOOOoooooo expression is good for a giggle too.

RE weight.... For years I've been spinning 2 inch cathedral cubes which weigh in at about a hundred grams each ( just the heads ) and I've recently go myself a set of 5 inch moonblaze wicks which weigh in at about 250 grams each. Yowza !!! my stalls magically cleaned up smile

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I weighed my sock poi. They weigh 200g. I found my stalls got a bit better, but they stretch now.

I think that I need to play with pendula and stalls for a bit....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
150g are my "regular" set and 200g are my "heavier" set.
Weight is important in the area of stalls.

It feels really nice when you do a stall and isolate around the head to get a plane change, its not 100% necessary but usually looks a whole lot smoother and feels delicious.

hug

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonMy name is Stuart, not Jesus.

But some more stall related action.

Stalls that run like this...

Non-Https Image Link

Are really fun, especially if you throw in a plane change.

--- is the poi cord 0 is the head @ is a hand === is the arm and ( ) is just to show my body. grin

Damn Son, you fat in that diagram ;-p

Praise Stuart!

but yeah those are sweet, especially when you stall parallel with your arms and then come out in bfly or vice versa!

+Alien Jon

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I have seen stalls into letting go and swapping hands on one of the Vulcan vids.... looked wicked.

Sadly not had much chance to play because of poor weather recently....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Flicking through this thread I hadn't even seen the last two posts.

Thankyou much for your worship. The hair does tend to make me look a little christlike at times.

Aston: I've tried those stalls with both vertical stalls, they are indeed fun. Hadnt thought to try horizontal... I'll have to have a go.

The tutorial I mentioned in that post I actually did make.

Here it is. It flows into plane changing in the video response, it builds off the stalls video.

hug