Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > National Circus Festival Tasmania Australia

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
updated thread for the new festival to be held on February first 2009.

do it.

you wont regret it smile

photos from 2007 circus fest

EDITED_BY: Mr Majestik (1211188847)

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i'll definitely agree the website is lacking in detail in promotion.

and since i have no knowledge of what the EJC or any other europe/uk festivals are like i have no comparison to go with, i guess you can just count yourself lucky you were born where theres a wealth of cheaper festivals.

but none of those festivals are in australia and have us going to them grin

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
>Yeah, but none of that sounds better than an EJC, and it would be indoors with some of the best european jugglers/circus artist, for longer and less money. Do you see what I did there?

No probs you can go to that festival instead.

The Tassie circus festival is quite small but really intense and i think the main reason that they don't do mega promotion is that they know they can fill all of the training program spaces just by word of mouth and they don't want to be bombarded.

As far as work shops go I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed last time i went there was pretty much all of the top trainers and performers from Australia teaching work shops and there are many many work shops going all day. Plus they have a flying trapeze rig and two other aerial rigs which would explain the increased cost compared to a juggling festival.

Also this festival is held in one of the most beautiful remote forest areas i have ever been too, all of the infrastructure is designed to be kind to the environment and is all built using local materials in the weeks leading up to the festival. This includes the loos, showers, stages, bar, rigs and other venues. Also all the food and products sold are local produces only. Its beautiful but remote location also adds to the cost of putting on this festival.

Oh they also run a free bus to pick everyone up from the launceston air port and deliver them to the festival.

EDITED_BY: ElectricBlue (1228948677)

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Eeeep I just brought my plane tickets.
So so excited now.
I can't wait.

We will totaly have to have a HOP hook up!!

Are any of you guys going to do the fire show with miss judy? She is really awsome and i would love to work with her but i'm not sure if i will be able to take my gear. frown

EDITED_BY: ElectricBlue (1229252006)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
what gear do you require?

i wasnt planning on doing it this time around. i found last time it was too time consuming. but who knows, maybe i'll tag along on the day and see whats being organised.

HoP hookup for sure. this time we should organize a time and date or something, like the be bopablue bar 8pm on the first night of training and then again a week later at the beginning of the public festival. i swear last time i only met half the HoPpers in attendace, or less!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yeah i'm thinking the same i would probably rather be using the time to do work shops but i'll see. I was just looking to bring my fire hoop but i think i may have found a way.

Those times sound good.

NinaSstranger
1 post

Posted:
The public festival is sold out now!!! If anyone knows anyone who has a ticket to sell I'm desperate to go (have organised to be in Tassie and everything and will be awful to know I'm so close but can't get in...) ninasunshine77@yahoo.com.au
Thanks

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Eeep not long now at all.
I can't wait!!!!!!

Plane tickets booked, modes of transport organised!!!

I'm gonna explode!!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
with rainbows? i wont settle for any less, and perhaps if you chose those rainbows could come in the form of smarties and M&Ms, well i'll be all the happier grin

wow it is rather close hey. unusual.

pity about the public festival being sold out, i really wanted friends to come but they didnt get tickets in time.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
*bump*

training starts this saturday and festival friday week! grin

whos getting pumped like an airmatress?

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Are you *sure* it's sold out?

Apply anyway, I did, several weeks after the festy was claiming to be sold out last time, and I still got a ticket wink

And had a rather spiffing time, it must be said.

Have a good one, everyone who's going grin

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr Majestik*bump*:D

whos getting pumped like an airmatress?

MEMEMEMEMEMEME!!!!!
I'm coming to the public!!!!
And seeing as I've decided this year to do my final year major project for an Adult Education degree on 'Education in Circus in Education', I will be interviewing LOTS of people as well as having LOTS of fun with friends and seeing LOTS of great stuff and NOT organising ANYTHING!!!

WOOHHHOOOOOOO!!!!!!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
so does anyone actually know WHERE were sposed to be going? and what time the workshops start/finish? i seem to have misplaced my application form (or the remains of it) and the info was probably on there. but its off the website now? argh!
anyway i need to book a ticket, to Hobart? and how far is hobart from the fest??

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
It's on a property at 570 Lone Star Rd, Golconda (near a town called Scottsdale) It's much closer to Launceston than Hobart. Use Googlemaps to find the exact location.

Also if you google Tasmanian Circus Festival there's assorted links to theirinfo/email/phone numbers.I believe they are running some transport from Launceston on Friday 6th for us weekend types; email or phone them to find when/where for hardcore trainee types. (I am flying into Hobart on 4th and renting a campervan for a week. A nice wee holiday.. then I'm going to Nick WOolsey's Bali poi retreat in April for a REAL treat!!!!)

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: hamamelis Are you *sure* it's sold out?

Apply anyway, I did, several weeks after the festy was claiming to be sold out last time, and I still got a ticket wink

Well, the website has no application procedures now and is saying:
2009 Tasmanian Circus Festival
is SOLD OUT

We are so sorry to say this but:

* ALL SINGLE DAY PASSES HAVE BEEN SOLD

• ALL THREE DAYS PASSES ARE SOLD

• THERE ARE NO VOLUNTEER POSITIONS AVAILABLE

• THE WAITING LIST IS ALSO FULL

- No more enquiries PLEASE.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
And while I'm on a roll with posting:

Do you realise, people, that the first circus in Australia started in Launceston in 1847! And that descendents of a performer in that circus are STILL running full touring circuses around Australia. Yep, Ashton's circus has an unbroken famiy
lineage since those times. And other circuses like Silver's and Circus Xsavier are also descended from them. So that is awesome!

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
Way cool factoid there Gabe! Never knew that.

Flying down there tomorrow morning! Yay! So excited!
But I haven't packed yet, nor have I gotten all my gear/supplies tongue2

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
was funsies, nice to be home and have a real bed though grin

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yeah, that was great. Though I never met Mr Majestik!
And it was majorly insanely COLD specially on Sunday night. 3 degrees!!! WHAT!!! Call that midsummer! MADNESS!!!

Hey Mr M, you might have spotted me. I was wandering round in a red hat at lot. And you might have even spotted MCP who turned up all unexpected like.

But yeah, that was great! (except the fire show which was frankly lame, and may yet provoke some correspondence, especially about that lady firebreathing in a synthetic billowing wedding dress with a veil!!! WHAT THE!!!!!
But apart from that, GREAT!!!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Ha! cold, It was positively balmy compared to last festival, though i do agree that last night was pretty nippy.

I had a blast too.
Still managed not to meet any hoppers, silly me. I think i spent most of my time on the other side of the lake to where you guys probably were. I didn't juggle nearly as much as i should have.

I agree about the fire show, those have historically been a bit of a flop. But you can't be to harsh i think they only put it together in a couple of hours and had a pretty crazy range of skills. But it did go on way too long which could have been avoided.

I also cringed when i saw the fire breathing in the dress but in defense I do know that she has been doing that for a long time and was probably well aware of the risks she was taking by doing it wearing that.

Hmmm any who, I'm of to cover all my ant and spider bites with stingos so i might actually get some sleep

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty sure most of the show wasn't just put together in a few hours. They had a call for performers (via email) for anyone who wanted to be part of it a few months before the festival and someone was organising acts. Regardless overall I didn't like it much... And that flying wick *cringe*

The rest of the festival however rocked! Learnt so much, trained so hard.

ElectricBlue, when you said that you were on the other side of hte lake, did you mean the backwood training space? I spent a fair bit of time there during the public festival practicing/conditioning.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
cold you say newgabe? you should have been there last time! it was completely FREEZING at night, and i didnt have a ground mat or anything.

i'm not sure gabe, i may have spotted you, i think i was talking to Joel (the oracle) or Julian Orbach about you but i cant recall seeing any red hats. nor did i see an MCP, that is a suprise to find out she showed in the end! i did keep an eye out for what i assume you look like Blue, but to no avail. i did a fair bit of passing over the weekend so if you had have juggled more we may have crossed clubs!

i think we can all agree the fire show went on a bit too long and had a few costume worries, personally i got a bit bored of it and wandered back to my camp to play with my camera. i would probably say it was still an improvement on the previous years show though.

Page: ...