Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
So I've been out skating tonight, hitting some pretty big hills on my board and finding myself going more and more extreme every run I do and it's got me wondering, how many of us HoPpers are into street (as in on the street, not short board tech type) skating? Also, how many people are opposed to us skating on the road because on the odd occassion we get in the way of your car or for whatever other reason?

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:

How many times do I have to tell you- DON'T HIT HILLS! It hurts your knuckles, and they don't even feel it..

I don't object to sane skaters on the roads- so long as they're not deliberately messing with the traffic, which does happen.. Get some right narky little *$%8s round here on the pavement, they're worse.. expect everyone else to get out of the way..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yes i skate, and have a big longboardish thing, only it looks like an oversized newschool in shape and having two kicks, but i dont use it very often.

i used it more before i got my licence and the last two years i'd occasionally go to a park in the city i lived in and ride the paths, it was kind of like a downhill choose your own adventure where you didnt have to worry about cars and i'd only see like two or three people (and once a cop car, yes, driving THROUGH the pedestrian park).

who knows, maybe i'll get into it again in the future. there was something that made gliding down a slope in big s's so calming, i mostly skated at night because of less traffic and i'd be going to/from work.

and i didnt answer your poll cause there wasnt a "yes, i downhill skate occasionally"

*edit* also i'm sure there was already a longboarding thread floating about, but i expect it was years since anyone used it.
EDITED_BY: Mr Majestik (1231731548)

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Night time is definately the time to be out on the streets, it's so much quieter and you can hear the traffic a lot easier.
Hrmph, got pulled over by the cops the other night, and for no other reason than to ask me if I thought I was in control. He comes up behind me driving a whole 5 ft or so away from me telling me to stop immediately. Is it just me or do the police sometimes have no clue how to deal with certain situations? Would you drive that close to a skater that you're telling to get off the board while going 30k/h?
*note* I do respect the cops and I'm not trying to turn this into a cop bashing post, I just get frustrated with them sometimes because of their lack of common sense

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
In a matter of weeks I have seen a broken arm (my daughter) a seriously smashed knee (a woman in her early 20s who has not been able to work for over 4 months) and someone with two broken wrists (think about THAT for cramping your style.. can't even wipe his own arse, let alone feed/dress himself etc...) from skateboarding on the street. Plus one young girl who avoided having her head run over by about a foot (at the cost of the driver who was on the ball enough to avoid her).
Skateboards are so damn cool they don't even bother having their own brakes. They break you instead.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
point of information!

skateboarding on the street is not illegal, at least not in tasmania, there are rules that need to be obeyed but the most important thing is to watch out for yourself. i never go too fast that i cant stop in a reasonable distance, and i keep my eye out for careless drivers.

true there are a lot of reckless skaters, but theres also many thoughtless car drivers. i feel its the same situation with skaters/cars as it is motorcycles/cars

and yeah pointblank, i hate the way cops act sometimes. its like they're parents catching their child doing something wrong. so belittling its sickening. you feel like telling them to act like adults and realise that no, their uniform doesnt automatically make them right.

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
I'm well aware of the injuries that can result form skateboarding gabe, but thanks for your concern hug

A friend of mine that I've been out skating with tonight had a really bad crash when he was in sydney, he fell off near a highway and fractured his skull in 3 places, as well as his c-5 vertebrae. 3 weeks in a coma and he's still not quite right.

And just the other night I had a pretty bad wipeout that by all rights I shouldn't be walking today. Amazingly the gods of skateboarding saw fit to look out for me that night but what about next time?

Suffice to say we all wear protective gear now and don't do the bigger and more extreme hills at the moment.

They way I skate is big, slow, wide carves that I can come to a complete stop within maybe 10 ft or so, but it really cramps your style having a cop trying to drive up your bum.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Point_Blank
They way I skate is big, slow, wide carves that I can come to a complete stop within maybe 10 ft or so

that what i do, i like the lazy feel of it smile

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
So I discovered tonight that I can ride bowls, not brilliantly yet but it was only my first try and it was dark, but they're fun to play in grin

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
a likely story!

we have the oldest bowl in the southern hemisphere in hobart smile i havent played in it yet, probably kill myself.

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
that's cool, might have to go visit it sometime

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
'the oldest bowl in the southern hemispehere'

You mean it's been there like 10 years? Sorry, antipodean 'historical sites' always crack me up.. laugh3

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
more like 30 or 40 tongue2

i totally agree though. like you were saying about 'antiques' in australia vs 'antiques' in uk/europe. the age differences make me laugh.

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Grrrr, I hate to do it but again with the cops! They threatened to throw in the cells over night if they saw us skating and we were f*&%ing walking, boards under our arms, what smegheads.

On the plus side I spent a lot more time in the bowl tonight and am steadily getting better, tomorrow I go to buy gloves and wrist guards in order to pull tighter lines grin

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I don't skate, but I really wanna learn. Longboarding, street tech, all of that shizzle.

So yeah, tear those streets up, you rad badass tongue2

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

cleezyBRONZE Member
journeyman
58 posts

Posted:
skateparks are fun...but sometimes ya just gotta cruise. It's nice to pick up your board and just ride somewhere. I see it as the same thing as some one running for sport or biking...i wonder what is it about skateboards or skateboarders that bother ppl? why is it always a negative thing... maybe there just jealous we're having all the fun!
cops are pains...i should be able to do what i want as long as im not skating in a place where i could run into someone or damage property.
cars are annoying to...must of the ppl blowing their horns for us to get out the way are going NOWHERE!!!!
i love skating smile

Robsterstranger
15 posts

Posted:
To bring another angle....

I was cycling on a cycle path the other day (like you do). I was in the middle of the path and this guy on a longboard came out from a side path on my right. I thought he was going on my left so I moved over to the right to stay out of his way. As he came nearer he moved across the path and we ended up stopped facing each other against a wall. He said "we ride on the left in this country" I said "sorry mate I wasn't sure where you were going" he says "I was going on the left where I'm sposed to be".

That really pissed me off, that guy seriously needs to get an attitude adjustment. I didn't expect a boarder to be such a fan of rules, and we weren't even on the road.
EDITED_BY: Robster (1243605934)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
jau - this is the kind of topic I like and the kind of post I love to read... thanks Robster, you gave me quite a chuckle hug I would incorporate your encounter in a move or something... life is always writing the best scripts wink

I like boarding, though I'm not particularly good at it, I have no problems with a boarder on the road and understand that at times it ain't that easy to control it. Sure wouldn't be happy if knocked off my bike and would give the appropriate response in that moment, but hey ... quite cool what people can do with a board on wheels...

bounce2

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FreakyHairstranger
18 posts

Posted:
Has anyone ever skated on like main roads? Its quite dodgy and am sure that it annoys a lot of people but its so much fun!

I used to skate a load when I was a kid, park and street. Theres something so much better about street though, choosing your own paths, finding your own jumps. The only think I don't like about skating is how long it takes to get your ollies, 180s and boardslides sorted fluidly, so you can properly street skate.

I also figure that roads are for people as well as cars, same as pavements should be for cars as well as people(in england you get a parking ticket for parking half on a pavement but ot if you just park on the side of a road with a 40mph limit.. which is iny anyway), an its the reponsibility of all to not driveskate dangerously!

I don't longboard but a lot of mates do, ive had a go but the trucks are so insanely loose and responsive tha i end up bailing. You ever tried bowl skating witha longboard? theres a four bowl join up near mine which loads of longboarders use.

Laura_OHareSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
"No, I don't skate but am not bothered my skaters on the road"-
Provdided they're not intentionally messing around, causing a hazard to other road users. We don't have a skate park anywhere around here so it'd be unfair to expect them to stick to skateparks!

I have longboarded before though-my friend does it and actually really enjoyed it.

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
ditto

Although I’ve never longboarded.

Danny5GOLD Member
I've got too many scars to say i'm good at this!
10 posts

Posted:
Longboarding is the way forward.
Skatepark bowls (concrete ones) are a great place for fire pics.
Check my FB photoes. www.facebook.com/danny5balls Just don't spray the whole place with parrafin, it's slippy!