Page: ...
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So, as has been pointed out in the "Is it quieter around here lately?" the boards are kinda dead.

Things really started to turn quiet around April/May of this year and I figured it was just part of the normal cycles that we see here of flurries of activity and then periods of less activity.

It's November and the trend continues. In Social Chat, only six posts were made over a period of four days. I haven't been posting much lately because there haven't been posts to respond to. In seven years as a HoP member, I have never seen anything like it.

Even worse, Josh and Kate were going to have a mini-Doof tomorrow night at their place in my honor and it appears that very few people will be coming. This disappoints me. It means that our community is collapsing and I can't figure out why this is happening.

But more important than the discussion of why is how to fix it. This community was an amazing, active, warm, loving family consisting of tens of thousands of spinners all over the world. I don't think the blame can be placed in the hands of any individual.

Did the community move to Facebook? If so, can we use that to our advantage? Is there something that we can do to make this forum more conducive to gatherings and socialization?

What are your ideas?

And please, if you know someone who has gone silent, encourage them to come back.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: simtaOriginally Posted By: Stout
[...]there was never any movement to edit those threads and remove all the fluff.

well maybe this is what's needed. take those threads and remove all the unnecessary chatter and make them into stickies.

I am willing to do this. Well, to put together a beginners guide of some sort for the beginner's poi moves section.

Basically just cover the basics of how to start out. I propose I do some sifting through the threads mentioned here: [Old link] and put the gist into a single thread (or threads) which can then be stickied/bookmarked/fadeintonothing/whatever.

Although, since I leave uni for vac on Thursday, my net access gets a *lot* worse (always on to dial-up). I can save them or something beforehand though. And I will still be around, just not as often.

Ayes? Nays?

Anyway, I said I would, so if no one else wants to, that was me volunteering. Can tell I was never in the armed forces. wink

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Pele

Now, it could easily be that people are sick of seeing it at festies. That happened years ago, complete with an article "Douse it: The exhausted art of fire dance"

Here is a linky to said article

Which rightly advises fire girlies to stop wriggling and get some skills. MCP, you listening now?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
No worries Bansheecat yes

EDITED_BY: Ade (1227574466)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hi aston.

It's a huge project you're considering there, and IMO it's not worth the effort. We've seen a real drop in interest when it comes to text based learning and poi 'cause it's all about video now.

Maybe it would be a better idea to simply link to, or copy and paste the text out of relevant older posts if you happen to know where the info is.

Just a thought...

Wow, so fire was getting old in 2002, glad I don't live in Seattle..or do the club thing. Hey, those shows sound interesting, any chance there's any video around ?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thing is Stout, that wasn't just representing Seattle. It was pretty well like that all over. I'm sure if you search it, videos might come up. Let me ask some of the people who were members of those groups and see if I can get them to dredge them up for you. wink That is, if they want them yoinked from the basement dust. lol

Aston, I'm impressed with the offer. That's a huge undertaking that I won't begrudge you. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
eh that article itself oozes pretention... green flames is pushing the boundaries? BLEARGH!

tongue2

it makes some ok points tho - distinguishing performance from fire dancing tho for eg.

J

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: newgabe
Which rightly advises fire girlies to stop wriggling and get some skills. MCP, you listening now?

Er yeah, sorry mum, I'll take my t-shirt off and do some stripper dancing and lose the contact. is that okay? wink

Also, where does Bovril stand in the marmite/nutella/vegemite debate? I don't keep up with those threads...

Erm, where is this discussion going? Are people trying to account for a downturn? Does that even matter? It's all fun to talk about things that may or may not be true, but instead, you could do something to work towards the goal of increasing the community or whatever it is you wanna do.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: mcp

Erm, where is this discussion going? Are people trying to account for a downturn? Does that even matter? It's all fun to talk about things that may or may not be true, but instead, you could do something to work towards the goal of increasing the community or whatever it is you wanna do.

I would say, cheekily, that this discussion is actually staying on track for once ubbrollsmile and we are trying to account for a downturn...

rare day that one, when we stay on track...

woohoo - to that end, we need more smilies duck lol2 tongue2 grin

Josh - the article is from 2002, so it might have been a bit more cutting edge then... I agree with the pretension comment you make as well.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah super awesome. I'm sure all the wall street bankers are busy accounting for the downturn in the american and global market. That's super useful. Maybe they wouldn't be so far up no-paddle creek if they were doing something positive instead of their accounts...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: mcpYeah super awesome. I'm sure all the wall street bankers are busy accounting for the downturn in the american and global market. That's super useful. Maybe they wouldn't be so far up no-paddle creek if they were doing something positive instead of their accounts...

MCP, I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

I read it as though you think it useless to be discussing the down turn of a discussion board in a social discussion thread in a discussion section of HOP shrug

The tone of your post is difficult to ascertain smile

EDITED_BY: Ade (1227584734)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: PeleSee, keeping this alive Mike, isn't just about the people who were here before, or are here now, we also have to get new people coming here...and as I see it, that is also part of the problem.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. We have lost plenty to attrition. That never bothered me that much (other than missing those who have left). But the continued vibrancy of this community attracted new people. Really, at any given time, the number of people who were active participants didn't get too enormous. We've never had all 50,000+ active at once.

I also agree with your bit about festivals. I, for one, would be glad to represent the HoP community at Burning Man except... HoP is also business and thus, that would constitute advertising and that would not be permitted. (Well, that and that niggling detail that without special permission from the higher-ups, I have no right to claim to represent us.)

I've also heard people talking about the Retired Members Lounge.

I think it was well-conceived, but perhaps we didn't consider all the ramifications. It did have the effect of bringing some people who had left back. Unfortunately, it also led to a number of discussions being held in there that really belonged out in the main forums. Perhaps that is part of why the rest of the board is dead. In fact, that part of the board has been somewhat active.

Perhaps it's time to merge it back into the board or make it visible (but not postable) to all members. I've tended to avoid that particular section because I never was really comfortable with it, but I never felt strongly against it, either. I'm beginning to agree with others that it may be best to shut it down. (That's my opinion; I'm not going to pitch a hissy-fit if it stays open).

As for me personally, I'm completely blameless. 100%. I've been throwing all my heart and soul into this community and I am incapable of having done anything wrong. angel wink

-Mike

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Pele: Yeah, I know it is a fair amount of work. tongue2

I dunno that people are leaving behind text-based learning, but what they do now is ask for that little trick that actually allows them to do the move.

I still like text, mostly because it allows me to explore a bit more than video.

Anyway, is the consensus that I should not bother?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
RE: retired members lounge - if members feel like dredging this up again, or responding to the concept for the first time, can you please at least revisit the concept from both sides? there are a lot of very reasonable people who supported both sides, and it certainly wasnt an idea hatched from the kind of hatred / elitism that certainly is implied by some.

Simply, if you want to fling sh!t (again) at least start with informed sh!t.

cheers,

J

--

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
PS I reckon Meg is right (in her typically sarcastic manner) tongue2.

duck

the smilies on this board are pretty cool. but I reckon we need more! especially this one; beerchug

--

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm responsible for duck

-Mike

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: willworkforfoodjnr-
I'd also like to propose:
- Remove the 'Registered' bit next to everyones name - theres no post count there to try and remove the gap between heavily active and occasional users, but you've just replaced that with elitism based on joining date.

sorry will work for food jnr but that has me just giggling....

People had the post count removed cause it pissed off people who thought they were less worthy due to a lower post count...now we are talking about taking away the registration date because people are unhappy about it because it may been seen as elitism... seriously... THERE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT. Like our international financial crisis, the state of the earth and the MASSIVE shift in energy coming up in the world... This may be incrediably unpopular but I hardly care... People need to "suck it up princess" and start being concerned about the bigger picture...I dont think it will be helpful trying to wrap the easily offended in cotton wool, by removing a freaking date.

damn.

*shakes head and laughs*

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: duvanOriginally Posted By: roarfire
I think we all need to put more effort in to greeting the newies in the Introductions section too. For instance, back when I joined my introduction thread was absolutely bombarded with random questions, welcomes and tips but now I notice introductions that have been there for days and days with no replies. I can't blame them for not feeling welcome.

Personally, I'm going to try and put a conscious effort to greet the newies, I hope we can all get back on board and make these guys feel truly feel like they are part of something wonderful like I felt when I joined smile

oh me gosh, finally someone pointing out some practical stuff! true. greet the noobs, get the boobs. I'll try to make them feel more welcome as well for I had the great pleasure of being welcomed whole heartedly as well couple of years ago. and I mean it takes like what, 2 minutes to write 2 posts saying a little more than "hi"? (but then again I might be takin' this a little too serious :D)

I totally agree with this, too; the place in which I've seen the biggest downturn in posting, is the intro threads. unfortunately, this is also where the majority of the "community building" has taken place in the past.

and I'll stick my hand up as being one of those who's been rather slack in that area; I can claim lack of time, broadening of interests into other areas and/or technical difficulties, but the truth is, at least part of it is attributable to slackness. as others have said, it takes very little time to fire of a quick welcome to a newbie or two. heck, you might even score out of it...!! tis, after all, how I met bek.
ubblove

I'll also ditto, the quashing of the "do a search" mentality; it's deflating, as someone brand new to a site, particularly with the vastness of HoP to be confronted with nothing but a call to find out for yourself when asking for help.

not that there's anything wrong with pointing out that the site has a perfectly good search facility, but it can often be very difficult for a newbie to use; also, in many cases in the wonderful world of object manipulation, there can be 6 different terms for exactly the same thing. how does a newbie deal with searching through all of that? far better for someone either more knowledgeable or with more exposure to the community to point them (specifically) in the right direction.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
There is no vomit enducing role play anymore.
Imaginary jello, custard and glitter guns. Thats what kept hop together wink

Its been said previously in this thread but HoP is taken way to seriously all of the time.
I got bored with the drama. I expect many other people did too.
And just stopped caring.

Not just the 'big' shock value ones, but the little bits and pieces you find hidden in corners. Conversations in threads between members - on all parts of the forum. Just going mental at each other - but going about it in a polite manner so they don't get flamed for it.

Has the PG status forced us to politely express our grieviances, and therefore never solve them?

EDITED_BY: _Aimée_ (1227595575)

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Valura
People had the post count removed cause it pissed off people who thought they were less worthy due to a lower post count...now we are talking about taking away the registration date because people are unhappy about it because it may been seen as elitism... seriously... THERE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT.

Hey, you were looking at suggestions, and lets be fair, there are more important things to be concerned about than somewhere to have a chat online if we're going that route. I raised an issue about something I found intimidating when I first joined and you see it as something worth laughing at based in the context of encouraging more people to post? As I see it elitism is also being seen as an issue in relation to the members lounge...

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Calm down kids smile

I'm off to post in the Intros thread to welcome noobs.

Anyone coming?

Also, to the mods and admins etc: Is there any way we can promote the community without "being seen" to promote the business?

hug ?

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
there is a world beyond Home of Poi. perhaps other people felt like exploring that instead of internet forums. as people are saying there is more to life, this place may be more important to some than others, but personally i'm ok with just letting it go on however it will.

shrug

i dont really see the need for this discussion.

now if you'll all excuse me, i'm going to spin fire now, with real people, in a real park, without the internet smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: willworkforfoodjnr

I raised an issue about something I found intimidating when I first joined

why does the date that someone joined a forum intimidate you?

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: willworkforfoodjnr
Having only been here a couple of years, I still feel that I get a lot out of the site, but to begin with it definately had a feeling of 'everyone here knows each other really well and I'm kinda an outsider', little things like people using real names to refer to each other - stupid things that should not make you nervous about interacting but still can do.

I guess it fits in with what I said in my first post - it is very easy to notice a sharp divide between people who have clearly been here a while and know each other, and the noobs. It is admittedly a silly thing and purely insubstantial - everyone I've had a conversation with since I've been here has been lovely! For a fairly shy person like me it can be difficult to throw yourself into that - like when you meet a big group of new people on your own in 'real life'.

On a reasoned level I also fail to see the difference between a post count and a join date when linked by your name on each post of the forum - both of them are a mark of how ensconsed you are within the forum, if one was to be removed why not the other, and if one is kept then why can the other not be displayed.

I'm not saying its a major issue, but that its a minor cause of one of the symptoms we've been talking about in this thread.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr Majestikthere is a world beyond Home of Poi.

Really? Tell that to Taj. He wouldn't exist without this site.

What makes HoP special is that it spills out into that world outside of HoP. And if HoP dies, then that special group of people scattered all over the real world fragments and ceases to communicate.

And that means that we wouldn't have met in Melbourne. I wouldn't have been there in the first place. Or my multiple forays to London.

So yes, Mr. Mjk, there is a big, wide world outside of HoP. And HoP will help you explore it.

-Mike

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Doc Lightning Ben and I were talking about this very thing, but I'll leave it up to Ben to talk about his idea.

I spoke with Malcolm today and it sounds like exciting developments are underway !!

Originally Posted By: Pyrolific HOPers have a reputation for flaking out when under pressure...
:tries not to look at BrettStar, Adya and BenJaMen:

OI!! I'm not flakey, life just gets in the way sometimes

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
I think reports of HoPs death are greatly exaggerated. Things have calmed down but that just makes it more manageable for me to find stuff I actually can participate in without wasting TOO many hours.

I personally never have had the slightest interest in intro threads, there were too many of them so I don;t notice if they are slow. I don;t miss threads of bouncies or discussions of TV shows or arguments about national stereotypes. I can still find events and good vids.

I certainly agree with NYC in that I really miss the wit and sparkle of the UK mob like Coleman and Strugz and Mech etc that were here a few years ago. I remember when I managed to organise a tour of UK for my teenage daughter pretty much through here and that was awesome! BUt that was then and this is now.

Meanwhile:

Dates when people joined are useful. If we're supposed to be 'nice to noobs,' how else do we know they are? There's been a few times I've seen someone post or ask something fairly daft or repetitive and realising they are only just here, it does alter how I respond. It;s also nice to see a name that I don't recognise and see they;ve been round for a while and think Oh cool, someone's back. I'd be just as inclined to say hi to them!

And as for searches, I think that being told not just DO a search, but HOW TO do a search was one of the most useful things I was told when I first joined. It's not obvious when you first join, not even now. And taking some responsibility for your own learning is a fine and dandy grown up skill that saves a lot of boring repetition that is IMHO as much what has made (oldtimer) people not come here as any lack of jello and kiss wow ubbrollsmile ubblove etc

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: newgabe I certainly agree with NYC in that I really miss the wit and sparkle of the UK mob like Coleman and Strugz and Mech etc that were here a few years ago. I remember when I managed to organise a tour of UK for my teenage daughter pretty much through here and that was awesome! BUt that was then and this is now.

frown
You prefer those hippies to the rest of us?
cry

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
sheesh jus goes ta show ya can;t open your mouth around those paranoid *insert nationality of choice* without footinmouth or is that whistleblower

Coleman's not a hippie. He's got short hair.
And Cantus. I miss him. He's a hippie.

Ping

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't say that Gabe I live near Strugz and Mech and they aren't all that great wink I mean I had to abuse Mech for about 4 hours and make him watch the worst film in History before he left my flat lol AND I had to force feed him Chinese, I think sometimes it's nice when people aren't on ALL the time, means when you do speak to them or bump into them in the flesh it's that bit more special grouphug Festival anyone?

I've not been on here much for another reason. Mostly work, can't post so much during the day, and I have Either gigs or other stuff a lot of the evenings now. But I have to agree we're all slack hippies wink

PONG grin
EDITED_BY: Mynci (1227631672)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
what bout the hippies that cut there hair off so now have short hair does that mean they ent hippys wink

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

Page: ...