Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Fire staff problem! URGENT!!!

Login/Join to Participate

Bonita1600stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I had a staff given as a present for jesus' birthday. But its a fire staff, and being a beginners i am dropping my staff alot. Is this going to damage the kevlar so in further months i will not being able to set alight or should i be okay? Help as i have stopped practicing while i wait for reply, and is on top of my things to do.

Bonita x

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
should be ok, nor worries about it
wick usually starts getting f*cked badly if you practise staff throws.. so if you don't do them at the moment there's nothing to worry about smile

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I pull socks over the top of my wicks to help protect them from drops.

I go for some cheapo £1 knee-length socks, with bright colours... merely for decoration. The fact that they're knee length means I can fold them over the wick a few times for extra padding.

Your wicks should be fine for fire, as long as they're secure well. Kevlar is pretty durable stuff, just wrap some socks round them.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
What Skatto said, but with an Australian accent.

hug

Alex_Mstranger
2 posts

Posted:

you can find some pretty good practice staffs at..
https://flamesngames.co.uk/section/6/1/staffs___staves_

kithGOLD Member
Object Manipulation Student
20 posts

Posted:
We just bought a buddy of mine a staff so he could play with fire with us, and until he feels comfortable throwing the weight around he wanted to protect the wicks from the environment.

We did the same thing for his staff we do with our other wicks when they aren't going to be used for a little while:

-Wrap the wick in a layer of tin-foil (cover it completely, tops and bottoms too)

-Wrap the tin-foil in a layer or two of terry-cloth towel

Put some rubber-bands on the outside to hold the towel on.

I suppose that socks work just as well as towels.

You do want to try to protect the wicks in some fashion, with some solid barrier to keep dust and dirt off of them.

As the wicks get used, they get hot(obviously) which makes them flex and rub against themselves. When you have particles of dirt and other contaminants in/on the wicks, it causes them to wear down faster. Think sandpaper, same effect.

You won't notice a real dramatic difference in the amount of time your wick lasts by making sure it stays clean, and a staff wick may hold together better then a poi wick (screws and such) - But if you take better care of your tools they will treat you better in return. It only takes a few moments to wrap it up.

Happy spinning smile
EDITED_BY: kith (1231930607)
EDIT_REASON: spelling

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
see below(editited due to bad spelling)
EDITED_BY: tim_marston (1232190076)

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
to be honest i don't recommend covering your wicks at all,
anything strong enough to protect your wicks also has the potential to alter the weight/balance and aerodynamics of the wick, this means when you take the protection off, to have a burn you will have to adjust your throwing and spinning, this isn't good for anyone especially a beginner,
In my experience drops only damage your wick if you drop onto a hard abrasive surface such as concrete or tarmac, if you practise your throws on grass or sand the damage will be minimal,

most of my wick damage occurs from burning a lot and from allowing the flames to get really small due to a lack of fuel, i suggest putting the wicks out before all the fuel runs out, I'm not sure why this damages the wick but i know it does.

also remember each drop exists for a reason, to help you improve until you don't drop,
good luck!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: tim_marston
In my experience drops only damage your wick if you drop onto a hard abrasive surface such as concrete or tarmac, if you practise your throws on grass or sand the damage will be minimal,

I personally wouldn't drop it on sand, I allowed my staff wicks to get sandy because I no longer cared about lighting it up, I dunno why, the fire thing just didnt grab me with staff at all. But the sand and then any movement within it, the sand will wear away at the kevlar like... well... sandpaper.

Originally Posted By: tim_marston
most of my wick damage occurs from burning a lot and from allowing the flames to get really small due to a lack of fuel, i suggest putting the wicks out before all the fuel runs out, I'm not sure why this damages the wick but i know it does.

Its because when its not burning only the fuel it will begin to burn the kevlar. smile

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
You could also just put a picnic towel down, depending on how much room you need for what you are doing: big throws will need more space....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: tim_marstonanything strong enough to protect your wicks also has the potential to alter the weight/balance and aerodynamics of the wick, this means when you take the protection off, to have a burn you will have to adjust your throwing and spinning, this isn't good for anyone especially a beginner,

Oh, right, another thing to consider that I forgot about. I'd probably throw the socks on the end... when you fuel up your staff it WILL get heavier anyway... and the flames will create a certain amount of drag, also, so the weight, balance and aerodynamics are altered when you burn anyway... the socks probably don't make much difference to that.

Sorry if it feels like its pick on tim_marston day, thats not what I meant, just offering my opinion.

hug

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the son of Mother Nature beat me to it. I concur. :-)

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

eatsleepkayakSILVER Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
i would just make you're own practice staff just to play with and save the staff for when you get bunches better--

they have a tutorial on here [thats how i learned to make mine :}] on how to make it-- its pretty simple and the weight is pretty dang spot on to the staff...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
okay then, I do believe in creative commons - not going to charge you or anything...

1) you go to a local hardware store, where they sell some velcro... got some pieces that make it well around your wicks

2) next go to a local garage, where they exchange tires and get some of the od tubes... car should be alright, light truck is better.

3) grab a serious pair of scissors (or a really sharp blade) and cut 2 square pieces out of the worn tube - that cover the wicks... say in a way that you can wrap them around at least twice... make sure they're identical because any difference in weight will alter the balance of yer staff.

4) next thing is you fix the velcro to one end of the rubber (stitchin would be ideal, but you can also do without) and wrap it to the ends of your staff

tadaa

sorry, I'm behind the computer all day for the second consecutive... outside the sun is (was) shining and there is a beach ... and I sit here and edit videos for the juggling convention (that I don't get paid for)... other than that I would go deeper into detail... but I'm sure you get the idea...

these are the most reliable protectors you can get... my staff is insanely heavy and I have my wicks on for many years and regularly practice high throws... smile

grass and sand are still going to §$&% your wicks (that would last ages if you would care for them...)

pratice staff is good, protection is still better because at some stage you want to practise with the "real deal" and it's a drag to.... drag more than one set around... MG I really shoul dstop this computer &$&%$ quite soon..

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Care for your kevlar and it will return the favor by not sending burning shrapnel in your face ^_^ I say even something as simple as socks will do just fine, but if its going to be a while you can make up something more attractive.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

dalefBRONZE Member
dubbles extraordinaire
36 posts

Posted:
From the thread title (URGENT!?!?!@?!@$?!$)I thought that you had a staff stuck up your anus or something.

/disappointed

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I was half expecting someone to be on fire, I know the feeling.

Don't mind me, just passing through.