Ry_CanuckMaster of Mediocrity
25 posts

Posted:
So, after seeing another accident in Melbourne at the same intersecton of St Kilda and Union st. My roomates from Newcastle and I, started discussing who were the worst drivers between the Aussies and the English. Now, given the fact that Australia has about 1/3 the population of the UK it is hard to figure out. If you were to say that UK had 12,000 accidents and Australia had 20,000 it wouldn't be a good test. So, does anyone have any numbers as to per capita the number of car accidents each country has?. Like I have heard that Adelaide is the Murder capital of Australia because it has X amount of people but Y amount of murders which is more then the rest of Australia. So, somewhere someone must know were to compare the drivers of Australia and the UK
Many Thanks
Ry

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I know not of the statistics but I've done a fair chunk of driving all over victoria and I've discovered this, drivers in Melbourne tend to be bad because of their panicky rush, drivers in Geelong generally aren't too bad because theres nowhere anyone wants to go that is especially exciting except the beach and the last thing you want to do on a day you're headed to the beach is rush.

Warnambool is just ridiculous its as though people aren't even sure where they're going which is interesting since there aren't many places to go. I suppose this is a symptom of just not being where they last were, perhaps they just want to get the hell out of Warrnambool. In any of the 51(unless they've built more in the last year) roundabouts in Warrnambool you will find at some point that someone will make up their mind as to where they're headed about halfway through the roundabout.

Another side note is that Warrnambool was actually the first place to get a roundabout. Dunno the specifics behind that. First in Victoria, yes. First in Australia, I don't remember, I even forget who gave me this information.

hug

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've not spent a great deal of time looking, but I couldn't find any stats for Australia in general, although I did find this which says that New South Wales had 667 traffic accidents per 100,000 people in 2007.

Also, this reckons that between July 2006 and June 2007, there were about 188600 accidents in Great Britain.
Supposedly, there was about 60,000,000 people in GB in 2007.

So, assuming my calculations are right (someone else should check them - I don't trust my maths ;)), that makes about 314 accidents per 100,000 people in GB.

However, that doesn't take into account how many people actually drive or the distance they drive in total.

edit.. I managed to screw up linking to the sources and now I don't have time to find the Australian one again. I might try to find it tomorrow.
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1230739545)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: TheBovrilMonkey
So, assuming my calculations are right (someone else should check them - I don't trust my maths ;)), that makes about 314 accidents per 100,000 people in GB.

However, that doesn't take into account how many people actually drive or the distance they drive in total.

I think the public transport infrastructure in England is much more extensive. More Ozzies probably own cars than Limeys.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I've not met many Ozzies that owned a Limey that's true.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Simply comparing the stats doesn't tell you everything though- I mean, there's a lot more dodgy rural roads in Oz, here in the UK unsurfaced roads don't really exist, though we do have single lane roads with walls on either side.. Plus the sheer distances which can be involved in Oz can make things interesting.

I don't think our public transport is much more extensive actually- it's pretty tricky to use as it's more sort of evolved over the years than been planned.

Anyway, Kiwis are worse drivers than either. tongue2

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
The roads nere where i live are so covered in mud and other crap that they may as well be unsuefaced.
And as for public transport well we get 1 bus each week on a Wednesday.
And lets not forget that its -3C outside at the moment which from my experiance is not some thing that you need to worry about in a large part of Oz.

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ha! come to Johannesburg! we're in a completely different league!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I'm going to have to say that women are the worst......as for the question at hand...i guess who ever has the most women is the worst driving country....

/hides before any females read.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
That why insurance is cheaper for women?

tongue2

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Ya i never understood that either....my guess is males try to show off more and end up doing crazy things /shrug

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!