Forums > Social Discussion > Do Faith Healers/Pray actually work?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Ry_CanuckMaster of Mediocrity
25 posts

Posted:
From what I understand; and if I am wrong or misinterpreting then by all means please correct me. "God" has a plan for us, since "God" knows all and our future is in "God"'s hand. Then, wouldn't that imply that "God" has already decided when and how we will die and such. So, if you have some disease and go to one of the TV Evangelists and are "cured" hadn't "God" already decided that you would be cured and you could have stayed home and being watching TV and still would be cured?. I find it hard to believe that if God had decided that you would die at such and such day that if you suddenly prayed or other people prayed for you or if you went to some faith healer that "God" would be like "Well, Bill was going to die a week from now, but gosh, he went and saw Pat Robertson, and now I have to let him live for many years". Now, I don't just mean the Christian God, I mean any God, whether you call it Ra, Zeus, Odin, Allah, Shiva. Who ever, All I know is that ever since Britney Spears first appeared as a Solo Artist I have been praying that she would walk thru my door and that hasn't happened. I believe the quote from Anchorman sums up prayer: [unveiling the Sex Panther] No, she gets a special cologne... It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good. [...] They've done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
Now, replace Sex Panther with prayer. So, i dunno, what do ya'll think
cheers
ry

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Quote:With prayers, some believe that the effect is purely from a supernatural source

Quote:But, it would be most unscientific to assume that all supporters of prayer think in that way

Hi OWD, welcome back

Therein lies the difference between prayer and meditation and it's up the the practitioner on just how fuzzy they want that difference to be.

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
I pretty much believed in everything until I stumbled across that guy named derren brown.

his take on alternative medicine is heavily influenced by richard dawkins. check out this interview: dawkins and brown talkin about this and that (espc cold reading in the beginning)

Page: