• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Advanced Staff moves > long esposure contact pictures?

Login/Join to Participate

experamentalist and chucker
Total posts: 21
Posted:i know this is rather random, but ive seen many pictures or people spinning and contact and also many videos, however i was wondering if anyone had any long exposure shots of contact moves on fire, for example the matrix with the full fire trails.

im sure im not the only person interested in the patterns

Resident Demolitions Expert
Total posts: 103
Posted:The thing is, contact staff moves tend to not to create such interesting patterns, so the long exposure fun is kinda lost on them. imo

unlike poi, which has become so much about pattern (understandably), contact staff is more about the manipulation of a stick with your body, without much attention payed to the pattern the ends trace, but rather, the over all pattern of the stick in relation to the body.

so...if you play with it, id love to see pictures, i just feel that the artform isnt as cut out for still photography as poi is.

Elusive and Bearded
Total posts: 3597
Posted:i know Meg has a bad ass pic of an angel roll on her...business site i guess youd call it.

Owned by Mynci!

experamentalist and chucker
Total posts: 21
Posted:Tankboy: yeah i thought that would be the case, but surely there's still some out there...? dunno... when i get good and possess a fire staff ill do it =)

Poje: cool, ill see if i can find that =)

old hand
Total posts: 716
Posted:I've done a few long exposures with contact but as Tankboy says, they dont look very good. The matrix just turns into a big firey ball and you cant make out anything in the middle, angel rolls look ok cos they have a low number of beats and travel a reasonable distance, fishtails look like a figure of 8, just a circle. SNES, Steves, conveyors all look crap, headspins look ok as do chest spins but you need a fast exposure to catch any detail.

"Don't do it naked!"

Walking on whims...
Total posts: 687
Posted:Yeah I agree, I did a photography project on fire arts a year ago and the staff moves often created less interesting effects than the poi did.

I mostly used the staff to slowly draw interesting shapes and movements as opposed to actually recording myself performing contact stuff. Things like... http://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1
(Which isn't very good anyway :p)

My friends say that they always prefer watching firestaff displays, but for pictures and the like - they think that poi look more dramatic.

There are a few kickass fire staff pics out there though. smile

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

Macaque of all trades
Total posts: 8735
Posted:Long exposure for Doubles however can look awesome wink like poi but with 4 point of lights I wonder if staff on staff contact would produce a good pic? would have to be not too long an exposure otherwise it could turn into a ball of light.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Total posts: 382
Posted:What if the pictures were taken from above? Seems like many contact staff moves involve the staff being horizontal, so the light trails would be confused.

Maybe that's a whole new avenue to explore: staff patterns that make good photo trails.

Oooh, like a kickup over the head to a catch on the other side. Firey rainbow?

EDITED_BY: squid (1234914127)

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Total posts: 42
Posted:Good things can be done... but I really can't show you yet...

Golf buggie driving instructor
Total posts: 156
Posted:i think above would work quite well.
the best i have seen is if you do the staffing on a reflective surface like shallow water. so you get both the front on and from below.
it really helps to place the trails around the body.

Total posts: 133
Posted:I like making flower patterns by doing rotors (two hands) and moving the centre of rotation around:

I'd like to see the photography of contact staff focusing on the staff around the body, rather than the fire trails themselves - the staff as it goes around, during a matrix move, is simply incredible ... never mind the trails smile