VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Hi Guys and Gals,
I know a lot of you run workshops etc. and I was wondering if anyone could help me. Basically I'm studying Human Resources at uni, and I have to run a training session this is my brief:
Quote:L&D session 1500 words or equivalent:
Part 1 of this assessment requires you to design and deliver a practical work-related coaching or one-to-one training session, the subject of which you must agree with the module tutor. The session should last for 20-30 minutes in total.

Evaluation Report 1000 words:
Part 2 of this assessment requires you to produce a written report, linking theories of individual learning and organisational development issues to the practical training/coaching skills session material you have prepared for part 1 of the assessment and evaluate their suitability.

And I'd love to do a juggling workshop as it is with my class mates and will be quite fun/unique. But the problems are, how to make it "Work related"? and what are the benefits, now I know it's a good stress reliever, helps with problem solving etc. But they are going to want sources! Academic sources! Anyone have any idea where I should start looking? I can find loads of personal websites that say it helps problem solving etc. but nothing to back it up.

HELP!!!
Simon

EDITED_BY: VampyricAcid (1231074842)

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Check the back sections of "The complete juggler" by Dave Finnegan. ISBN-13: 9780394746784 ISBN: 0394746783 Should be plenty of quotes in there for you. smile

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
One of my friends runs corporate juggling workshops.
The outcomes he sells for the work shops are as a team building and relaxation.

He also includes how juggling could be used in small breaks through out the work day to break up time spent at the computer thus redusing the risk of rsi and other desk work related issues.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
20-30 minutes is not long for a skills workshop.

In the training world we say if it takes 5 mins to make a cup of tea, it takes around 30 mins to teach someone how to. THat is to say:
5 mins intros and inclusion activities
5 mins demonstration (to give total picture of completed activity)
5 mins demo with commentary (tips on why to do it this way, things to avoid, variations)
5 mins set up/carrying out small group/individual practice
5 mins review/ corrections/ analysing any mistakes
5 mins second practice with corrections.

TIME UP

SO If you are planning on teaching juggling... allow TIME.

And think about what are you trying to achieve?? Teaching 3 balls from scratch to a group who've never done it? Check if you think one person can realistically do that with a group of ??? people, who are likely to all make different mistakes. Very few people can pick up juggling just from watching a demo/getting an explanation. Takes loads of time. So be careful that your workshop doesnt just compound people's ideas that they can't do it rather than actually teaching them! That won;t look good to your assessors!

You are likely to have mixed abilities in the group.. some people who can already do it.... down to some who won;t really try cos they are convinced they will never be able to do it. SO you may need strategy to include the levels. Eg peer teaching, advanced stream etc.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

GlitterTitsCorean Spinner
34 posts

Posted:
It's true, you're going to have to worry about time, there never seems to be enough time to do much of anything, especially if you're trying to do something!! As for making juggling 'work related', make it part of recreation, leisure, stress relief. Work isn't all about 'work', it's about the environment you're working in and how you deal personally with that environment. Juggling in the workplace, even just watching a demonstration and just goofing around and trying it, gives employees a chance to
1. stretch, move around, revive themselves
2. get out of their comfort zone a little, meet people in a new light, maybe introduce people to each other for the first time, build teamwork and group dynamics
3. learn something new, or at least be entertained for a little while
4. something unique like this, really thought out well, shows that the employer themselves cares enough to think of something interesting for the benefit of his/her employees

I think you've got a really good idea here, you've just got to figure out what you would like to see come out of this and then figure out how to tweak it so that your instructor and classmates see it the same way!!

some good ideas for activities before actually juggling might be like 'group juggling', a ice breaker, name game that's always fun and gets people moving!! (sorry, i totally have my degree in recreation and i get a little overexcited sometimes!!)

let me know if you need any ideas!

good luck!!

GT

Fruit don't talk...they listen...and wait.