shellefentonstranger
3 posts

Posted:
about a month ago, my son showed me a youtube video of some guy with S shaped staff. It looked fabulous. I went in search on here for info, then downloaded some pictures. Then tried to find some to buy for his birthday.Only one person making them, with the usual sodding price tag attached. Too expensive for me. The guy was foolish enough to give me the weight, the length, and with enough pictures gawped at, i could work out the other measurements against his arms on the video.
So, how hard can it be? i wondered. Off i went to local DIY shop, bought some wood, made a template, cut them out, filed and sanded to perfection, painted brightly, and now two S shaped staff, or Buu jeng await him to open and twirl on monday. Cost $30 all in. Look on his face? Priceless!
shelle, queen of thrift.

possibly the oldest member here i reckon. And still learning.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Neither you or your son would happen to go to sunday twirling meetings in Melbourne? I'd actually like to view your handiwork. I've got a set of my own that you can compare it to if you'd like. I know that they'd be beyond my capabilities to actually make, but I'd rather like to see how you went. Or at least some pictures??

hug

shellefentonstranger
3 posts

Posted:
No, i dont go to the meet ups.
As a practice 1st pair, they are solid, not folding/collapsable for travel as pro ones are. But good enough to get started.
They did need to be trimmed down an inch, as slightly too long, other than that, they work absolutely perfectly.

In much the same way as you can pay censored loads for practice poi, or bung some tennis balls in a pair of socks.
For practice, socks/tennis balls work fine for me.

For practice, home made Buu Jeng work perfectly for him.

possibly the oldest member here i reckon. And still learning.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Get something a bit weightier than tennis balls in your socks, chief, it'll help you loads and loads and loads with almost everything to do with your poicision.

I use 150g of rice in a balloon in each sock. Rice+balloon+funnel.

hug

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but you spelled Buugeng wrong and I'm a grammar nazi >_< You used a J instead of a G and also for reference it is pronounced like a G.

Also If I wanted to make some that were say 40 inches (101.6cm) what size thing of wood should I be looking for? And do you cut both out of the same piece of wood? Because I would love to make some, I even have a good set of mirrors hung in my room to use grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin