Forums > Technical Discussion > water with denatured alcohol to lower temp

Login/Join to Participate

unicornstranger
1 post

Posted:
I'm trying to get feedback from folks on what to do...but beware...this question is a little bit different! I want to use potassium chloride for a purple flame, but there's a twist...I want to use it for kinky fire play. Iso 70% is what is normally used, but doesn't work with colorants as I've discovered. Denatured will work but burns at a much higher temp. Is it possible to add water to bring this temp down comparable to what 70% is? If so, how many parts? I don't know what kind of denatured is safe to put on skin or what kind to get. I know someone that has witnessed a scene that used a green flame. It would be great if I could figure this out, but not sure how to proceed safely. Your feedback is much appreciated!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if adding water will reduce the burn temperature, the alcohol will still burn at the same temperature but will be weaker / more dilute. it may bring it down slightly as less alcohol would be burning at any one time but I wouldn't have thought significantly.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
frankly, i doubt this will work..

im not sure why, im just highly dubious smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Adding water to fuel will not decrease the burning temperature... In fact, it will probably make you get burned even faster.

Also, using colored fuels for anything that will contact your skin is a bad idea. Most chemicals used for coloring fuels are highly toxic, especially when burnt. I don't know too much about potassium chloride but a quick check of the MSDS seems to indicate it's not good for you.

Id suggest sticking to the basic 70% iso for your fire play... If you want a bigger thrill try the 92% - 99% stuff... Or white gas for the truly hardcore smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

GarientGOLD Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
yeah, put a little gas can on your rope and set fire on it.

do NOT do it

Hey wazzup!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i'm not a professional industrial chemist but....

i would think adding water to it would just cause the alcohol to burn at the same temp and make steam of the water, so you'll have fuel burns and steam burns. plus as previously stated most chemicals use to create coloured flames are usually produce highly toxic fumes....i wouldnt want to know what that can do to the skin.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley