Forums > Other Toys > Any decent Fire fan videos?

Login/Join to Participate

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
I have been searching like a demon (well perhaps not like a demon, I havn't actually eviscerated anyone yet today) for some decent fire fan videos.

I am seriously considering getting a set of fans (what's holding me back at the mo is the thought of how much more ridiculous the neighbours will consider me if I start prancing around the garden "performing" with fans... badly - as that would be about the only outlet I have for it at the mo). What I need is inspiration.

I love burlesque (no matter how sensible and prim I try to be) and that would have an impact on how I used fans, I also love the Japanese fan dancing style, so graceful and precise and with all the little throws and stuff.

Unfortunately all my searches have yielded (less a couple of short gems) are videos falling into :

1)really badly shot, so you can't see what's going on,

2) terrible fanwork, they are [sometimes] dancing, but all they are doing with the fans is holding them up in the air, usually like they are stuck in the Y part of YMCA,

3) terrible dancing, I'm afraid that pseudo bellydance is the worst offender.

or worse, any combination of the above!

Now I'm sure there are lots of really good fan dancers out there, and they must have put together a bit of a video at some point, surely?

I'd like to see good dancing, good spinning/thowing/waving/fluttering, nicely shot. (Don't ask for much really...)

So if you know of one, or indeed have made one, I think a nice list of links would be in order. Thus I, and many after me can be inspired to part with cash and make fools of ourselves in the garden in the hope that one day, we can be as graceful, beautiful and cool as the people on the vids wink

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Here's my friend Grimm performing with fans.

Peace, Love, Circles

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Thanks Rovo, that's pretty cool and original, I always thought fan dancing was a pretty girly thing (despite the martial arts thing) but he may have changed my mind.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Finally!! someone that can actually do something worthwhile with firefans, I must admit i expected the first cool vids I saw would be from china or japan. but not suprised at all that it's a friend of Rovo's smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

imakokodemember
121 posts

Posted:
>>

>> https://therob.free.fr/ima/Opera_Trinitee.wmv

somme fans in, and the oldest vid :

>> https://therob.free.fr/ima/DemoEventails.wmv

>> all is full of love <<

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Hooray! These are ace!

I particulalry liked the one where they are out in the wilds with all the mossy rocks and waterfalls and stuff, reminded me of goblins, in a good way wink

AnkhetbastBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
Just incredible stuff. Very inspiring. Now if I can figure out how to do it! ;P

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Use the fans with the same arm patterns as your poi or staves. Hold them loose instead of rigid. In the videos it was just a mexican, a chase the sun, and a simple waving.

Also look into flamenco fan work. I use it alot in my fan stuff.

There are alot of amazing performers out there that don't have videos still, which is quite sad.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Brenn doing fire fans biggrin

&#2384;

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Bump!

I've just bought some fans, and still trying to get a feel for them, they're a lot different than I expected. I'm a bit scared to use them with fire at the moment, I'm not used to having the fire so close to my arm and attached to me through metal! I will bite the bullet soon though, once I've practised a bit more!

Anyway, reason for bumping this thread is that I've been struggling to find decent videos and resources, other than the ones above, and I was wondering if anyone has found anymore yet?

Youtube generally just pulls out pretty poor performances for me. Also, any other tips are greatfully received, its very weird starting a new toy again like this, especially as I started hoop fairly recently and had no problem picking that up, yet this I struggle with!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Most of my COL 2007 is performed with HOP fire fans smile It has element of my fan show in it. I totally dig how many fresh approaches most fan dancers take, with fire fans being such under-utilised equipment.

pricklyleaf, it is a bit crap that we are so far distant - i teach structured workshops on fan movement (feminine) and fan acrobatics/technical/throws (masculine) argh maybe someday we meet, ey?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pricklyleaf

Bump!

I've just bought some fans, and still trying to get a feel for them, they're a lot different than I expected. I'm a bit scared to use them with fire at the moment, I'm not used to having the fire so close to my arm and attached to me through metal! I will bite the bullet soon though, once I've practised a bit more!

Anyway, reason for bumping this thread is that I've been struggling to find decent videos and resources, other than the ones above, and I was wondering if anyone has found anymore yet?

I've started writing up a fans tutorial under the library section of HoP. Much more content such as throws, framing and footwork is due to be added once I get time and good weather to film in smile
I've tried a combination of verbose descriptions and videos in my lessons so that it is accessible for people of high and low bandwidth.

Fans are a very rewarding and fun fire art smile I wish you well on your fans journey hug

&#2384;

Owned by Lost83spy

MariannaBellyDancernewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Hello Everyone,

Last night I performed for the first time with my firefans.
The video may be viewed here: https://www.marianna.cc/Videos.html

By no means do I consider it an answer to the question of "are there any decent fan videos out there?".
I would actually appreciate any and all constructive cristism. I video taped it so I can see what it actually looks like, but I am pretty happy with the turn out, because I only had the fans for about 10 days, and although i practiced an average of 20 minutes / day I only lit them twice.

These were my limitations:
- I performed inside in a restaurant (ceilings were kind of low, with all kinds of stuff hanging like lights, strobe lights, etc).
- It's a Greek restaurant so the music is usually fast, faster than usual.
- It's live music and I never know what the band will play, so I always improvise - I had a set of moves in my mind, of course some I completely forgot, because I just had to go with flow and think of things on the spot.
- some things I came up with right then and there, without knowing what it will look like.

Please give me your opinions of where I need to improve. I know there's a lot of areas.
- I know I did things too fast, next time I will slow down and add more poses.
- I am working on my spins - unlit, I can do them real well, but I was pretty scared doing them with fire - as you can see I actually did it a few times, but only 1 spin at a time, and not 10-15 as I am trying to get to.
- I basically learned from watching videos on youtube, videos linked from here and advice / descriptions from these boards. This board is great!!!

Overall I am glad nothing and no one caught on fire. The week before one of the waitresses got burned while serving the flaming cheese, but I had nothing to do with that.

thanks,
Marianna

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Hello. I dont know anything about fans really but some of the chimaera girls (Gayle, Hels and Laura) put together a really great routine for our show this year.
There is a video of the full show on youtube (not amazing quality but you can still see everything) the fans routine is 6 minutes in, see what you think.

"Don't do it naked!"

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hey Marianna, I thought that looked pretty good. Far from being too fast, I thought it could even be a little faster (but thats my own personal preference) I'm not that keen on all the posey/fire godess things, I think they can cause a performance to drag on a bit. (But like I say, all personal preference). I'm the same with spins, I can do them fairly happily without fire, but I know once I light up, I won't be feeling so confident! Thanks for shariing

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

MariannaBellyDancernewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Thanx Pricklyleaf,

I'll perform with them again this Saturday - actually twice. I can hardly wait!
I guess what I meant by too fast is that I think some things I should have done slower, but yes, some of the stuff could be much faster. I don't like in the beginning, I keep doing the same stuff.

But the flames are so big first - and it was the first time, so I think next time I'll be more comfortable.

Spins are kind of weird. I can't do them just with 1 finger, I actually have to put my middle and ring finger in the loop and then I can spin it for a while. If I only do 1 finger, the others get in the way.

Do you guys just bite the bullet and let it spin? I can do it without the flames without it touching my arms, but the flames....I know I could do it, but it's a bit scary.

Marianna

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
The thing with the actual flames is they're not very hot, and won't burn you, especially as your moving through them that fast. Even if you just touch the wicks, you won't burn. (Importantly - I'm assuming you're using parraffin or equivalent here, which burns at a low temperature.). The only thing that will burn you is the metal, which gets really hot, very quickly. When practicing, I do occasionally catch myself on the metal, which is what is holding me off lighting up yet. (Although you can touch the wicks, if you do start holding onto them for a long time, then they will still burn you obviously, but if you just hit them, you'll be fine).

I don't really know what to recommend about the fingers. When I spin, I try to make my hands into a light fist and spin them on my forefingers, but I'm no expert, I don't know if there is a better or worse way to do things.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kitsune34SILVER Member
51 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rovo

Here's my friend Grimm performing with fans.

I told your friend to get on a tutorial for fans! What happened to that?! confused

"Always forgive your enemies, for nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Common Ground 2007 performance of yours truly

smile

&#2384;

Owned by Lost83spy

memorySILVER Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
Here are a couple of vids from Summer '08.

Improv with my brand new (thus I'm a little shaky) TC Khaos fans:

Group improv:

<3~Memory

NoiseyflowerBRONZE Member
Yell and scream all you like
53 posts

Posted:
Brenn, Do have a name for the song that you were dancing to??

You have some real talent there I'm impressed. I'm just starting out and are waiting for my fans in the mail. atm I'm using bent and weighted coat hangers to play around with some moves smile It works well enough to get an idea on how to move the fans.

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Thanks Noiseyflower smile

Music: "Time's Scar" by Yasunori Mitsuda and is the intro from an old Playsation game called "Chrono Cross".

Enjoy your fans when they arrive! hug

&#2384;

Owned by Lost83spy