https://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=700367

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
It hasn't been an issue in Canada...yet

We have the same sort of hate crime laws as Europe, save being specific about the Nazi/holocaust denier angle. Canada's laws are pretty vague, including a clause that allows for the person being charged under them to mount an " I believed it to be true" defense.

I'm thinking that if I were to mount a soap box and start haranguing that " All people with mismatched eye colour are inferior" tat the authorities would come after me with the mental health act rather than screw around with trying to make a hate crime charge stick.

I still don't agree with hate crime laws on principal, as now we have two classes of victims.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Proving hate is such a difficult thing.
We've a case going here where a gay man was brutally beaten by a meat head.

Now, gay guy is claiming hate crime.
Meat head is claiming full on instigation.

And the friends are split down the middle on both sides (meaning: some of the gay guy friends are saying he instigated, some of the meat head friends are saying he was angry walking in). This means witnesses are of little use.

Assault charges will stick but how much will determine if they can prove malicious intent based on a bias, which means they must first prove the bias. Tough stuff there.

We do have hate crime laws, but they refer to actions, not expression. However, other laws help make up the difference, so it works out for both sides. Otherwise, I agree, it creates two classes of victims.

In this case, the family set themselves up to appear victimized.

As far as the Neo-Nazi movement in the US. It is sadly the fastest growing organized group in the US currently, with membership up thousands over the past decade.
It is also not the southern based thing everyone thinks. The fastest growing population is actually in Washington D.C. where they have a chain of legitimate dojo's to "recruit". Next is Philedelphia. The fact that this family is from NJ is no surprise at all. These northern contingents are less violent that the traditional southern ones. The other "hub"? Seattle. The Pacific Northwest. They have a whole new batch of "Red Lace Laws" come up in the past 5 years to help battle it.

The documentaries we watched on them were quite educational. I learned so much. I still don't understand it all, like why? No one seemed to answer that, but I learned.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Okay...I'm gonna go on a full-on rant...so bear with me...

I was born and raised in a small farming community, right here in the bible belt of North Carolina. I was privy to every type of hate that there could possibly be. From a very early age, I heard black people called 'N's and saw them treated like animals. I heard gay people called the term for a bundle of kindling like it was a correct term. I heard every derogatory term for every possible race or culture that anyone could possibly come up with and unfortunately, I bought into it.

Once I got older, I started to see the holes in all the hate that was spread around me. These people were trying to live their lives, just the same as anyone else. They all bleed the same colour, they all have the same hearts to hurt, just as everyone else. Why was there so much hate against anyone that was different.

I can remember, at a very early age, my brother and I looking at our set of encyclopedias. He had the volume about the Civil War and asked me which were the Union soldiers and which were the Confederate. I had no clue and because I picked the wrong one, he punched me...said it was for my own good. What did I know? I was maybe 6 years old!!! Well, over this past Thankgiving holiday, I heard my brother, now in his mid-40's, spout out the 'N' word no less than 5 times...and the 'F' word (and I'm not talking about the 4-letter one) just as many times. I wanted to put my fist in his foul mouth!!! The worst thing is, I heard my mother, just a few days later, say a bit of a toned down version of the same 'N' word...just because it sounded a bit more like Negro and not the usual derogatory term, she thought it was appropriate...and I called her on it!!! I told her there was no place in the world for using anything like what she said, today. There's been enough hate spread and I'd think that at almost 80 years old, she'd know that!!!

Over the years, I realised that these terms were nothing more than a way to try to demoralise minorities of any type in our country. What happened to a nation that was supposed to grant freedom and equality for all? Human nature and human hate had turned it into a land of hate and violence. And unfortunately, it's not just the US that is rife with it.

When are we all going to realise that we have to share this Earth...that we are all the same underneath our skin...we all love and hurt with the same hearts...we all live and die underneath the same sky...we all bleed?

My hopes for this child is that he can rise above the name he's been given...that he can turn a name that has been associated with hate and intolerance and violence into one of love, acceptance and peace.

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
nice post smile

Getting to the other side smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Bek66Over the years, I realised that these terms were nothing more than a way to try to demoralise minorities of any type in our country. What happened to a nation that was supposed to grant freedom and equality for all? Human nature and human hate had turned it into a land of hate and violence. And unfortunately, it's not just the US that is rife with it.

When are we all going to realise that we have to share this Earth...that we are all the same underneath our skin...we all love and hurt with the same hearts...we all live and die underneath the same sky...we all bleed?

My hopes for this child is that he can rise above the name he's been given...that he can turn a name that has been associated with hate and intolerance and violence into one of love, acceptance and peace.

Our country was *never* founded on "equality" and freedom. Too many individual groups came here looking for it but wanting to control everyone else. When you have "Founding Fathers" whose ground rules create dividing lines at the offset, it was only a myth from the onset.

I had a similar experience up here in the north, non-bible belt. It is very much a generational difference, more than locational, with many of my parents and grandparents generation saying-doing things that are derrogatory against many cultural groups. I pulled a dictionary out one day when I was fed up and showed my mother the definition of the word nigger. I pointed out to her that no where in the definition is a skin color or race involved and white people could be just the same if they acted with the same ignorance. Yes, I was mad enough to call my mother one. It didn't go over well but I haven't heard anyone in my family use it since, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Until we are all on the same happy pills or fully rid of money so everyone is on equal fiscal grounds there won't be a universal acceptance, I don't believe, ever. There is too much profit in hate, and humans are a greedy lot.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: PeleUntil we are all on the same happy pills or fully rid of money so everyone is on equal fiscal grounds there won't be a universal acceptance, I don't believe, ever. There is too much profit in hate, and humans are a greedy lot.

It seem to me like we need an International Day for Meditation, or an International Year of Meditation, or just simply we need to meditate, in our own way, every day.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

railspinnerjourneyman
99 posts

Posted:
man what's so bad about mullets? I have a dread mullet and it's styleish. Id say giving your boy a faux hawk or spikey gelled nsync hair is far more a crime then a mullet. A mullet may be one of the best gifts you ever give your child.

Anyways, I don't think that their schemeing for attention means they aren't stupid. It's childish and doesn't take a very complex mind to figure out how to rock the boat.

The less people know the more they believe

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
totally generational. my mum always says culturally insensitive if not outright derogatory things.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

cupcakestranger
4 posts

Posted:
This is just the first in a lifetime of incidents that are going to suck for that kid.

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
A little update...

Adolf Hitler Child Removed From Home

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

LovoLord and Master
74 posts

Posted:
Yeah I was just reading up on that. In my opinion the right thing has been done. Hopefully they'll get a chance to change their names, too.

Under the skin of our lives; somewhere deep and early, forgotten, we all follow the same dreams.
- unknown

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Yeah change their names kids would pick on them when they learn about the evils of that man.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Page: