PJB21experamentalist and chucker
21 posts

Posted:
ive recently taken up contact staff and its great fun, however i often find that the staff, specificly the grip, tangles with and pulls my hair, which gets very annoying.

i was wondering if any body else had this problem or if people knew a good way around it

thanks,
PJB21

EDITED_BY: PJB21 (1229033827)

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
I believe the consensus of opinion amongst contact staff practitioners, is to chop your hair off. tongue2 and I'm only half-kidding; most all of them end up doing it at some stage.

I resist, and tie my dreads up in a kinda pineapple spikey thing atop my head; this works, keeping the hair away from the path of the staff, however it does, as others have mentioned screw up your balance a bit. also makes things like a head-spin impossible.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Yeah, hair really really does get in the way! Not too much you can do appart from, as already mentioned, cut it off. I'm with Pogo though and refuse! Just stick with it and accept the occasional hair yanked out of your scalp smile

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Yamesostranger
5 posts

Posted:
I just wear a cap to hide my hair. It definitely helps wink

21 posts

Posted:
thanks for the advice, i think ill try and keep it out the way as much as possible since i do rather like my hair haha =)

i should be getting a decent cap soon for fire spins anyways so hopefully i can use it for practising contact as well =)

PJB21

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
It'll take a fair amount of messing about to find the best way of getting your hair up in the hat, especially if you have dreads. I find its easiest just wearing a headband to keep it outta my eyes. Less control of it as its rolling across the neck but no big lumps to collide with haha.

Then again, I'm not too great at contact, maybe thats why!

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
I just make a bun on the top of my head. that way it is held out of the way for both vertical and horizontal tricks and there is no loose ends of the hair to get wrapped up in my staff grip.

It would harder if your hair was not long enough to tie up, then i think you would need a cap.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
chop it off, chop it off chop it off wink

I did and found it Soooo much easier laugh3

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

21 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: DaGI just make a bun on the top of my head. that way it is held out of the way for both vertical and horizontal tricks and there is no loose ends of the hair to get wrapped up in my staff grip.

It would harder if your hair was not long enough to tie up, then i think you would need a cap.

yeah i think that's what ill be doing, however im probably still gonna get a hat for when i do burns =)

thanks for the advice all

PJB21

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
I find it fairly easy to stick my dreads in a hat.. (but its a fairly big hat wink ) Stick it over yer head, gather all the dreads together, twist them round once so all the dreads are facing vertically up and stick em inside all at the same time. Will get harder as the dreads get longer though, and I've started to do the whole pineapple thing cos sometimes my hat falls off and then eeeverything goes to s**t!

PBJ21 beanies do the trick really well, and if you dont already have a hat, then hoods are just as good!
hope that helps smile

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
If you have long hair, get rid of the rubber grips! It sticks to the hair immediatly and will rip it out when you do any rolls near the neck, no matter how carefully you put it up. There's always loose strands. Unless you do a lot of staff on staff contact moves, they're completely unnecessary.

My staffs have some of the tennis grip tape around it, and I find that is more than enough, and its more hair friendly. Though I have sacrificed keeping my hair at waist length cause the bun gets in the way of pivots :-(

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

NoiseyflowerBRONZE Member
Yell and scream all you like
53 posts

Posted:
I just always make sure i have my twirling hat handy. Its just a normal hat which is tight enough to not fall off but not make me faint smile

Even with really long hair there is hat out there somewhere for you.

darrenconlanboingy,
5 posts

Posted:
hi all im learning contact staff now and having some trouble with some off the stuff,could my staff be too short as im a burly sorta chap or is i just need to practic more,as in the halo and trying fishtails the balance is hard to keep ,

its our universe you get out of it what you put in to it,you have only one life live it,

darrenconlanboingy,
5 posts

Posted:

hi im new to hop,glad i dont have the hair problems however dreads look cool id like to grow some,its my beard i worry about ha ha,where in berlin are you i used to live in charlottenburg and would love to return to berlin its a great city,could hook up with some guys for a spin,not sure if you can get away with taking fire toys on the plane though

its our universe you get out of it what you put in to it,you have only one life live it,

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I used a head band for a bit, but I found that any halo-type moves kept tugging at the back of my dreads.

Beanie hats work well... but I cut my dreads off in the end... on a whim.

Made spinning easier. smile But it wasn't really necessary. My dreads weren't long enough to pony tail - but if they were, I think that may have helped a bit.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
I found the beanie the best choice when I had long hair, though I was amazed at how quickly my contact improved after I had my hair cut off (partly for this reason).

21 posts

Posted:
instead of a beanie does a bandanna work well?

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
I'm with Mynci. CHOP IT ALL OFF! I did. All 600 grams of it. Although that wasn't technially mine...

But at the end of the day I had to choose between the staff and the hair. And the hair didn't really stand a chance.

Three years of my life that took. And I get; "... nice."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
The end question is : Do you wanna look cool because of your long hair or because of your skills?

tongue2

Not saying the two are mutually exclusive... Just makes it easier...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Neither, I wanna look cool cos of my cheeky smile grin

And I'm almost there with the matrix now, even with the silly long hair!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Just drop the staff and pick up the poi, there are less movements where your hair will get caught... though I've come across a good number these days... frown

hug

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Just get yourself a big Jager bandanna. They're practically indestructible... wink

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Dicky BrucksYarrr.
2 posts

Posted:
Yeah I refuse to cut my hair too.

You might consider getting cornrows. I had a friend do mine recently, and I'm stoked on them. Crazy braided patterns all over my head, plus its much easier to tuck inside a beanie.

Just a thought.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
The problem I found with tucking your hair up is the fact it leaves a bump on your head your not used to and when I ducked under a staff i had a much smaller margin of error, it always cliped the bun under my hat (well the back of my head) and gave the staff some wobble, no problem with that now even with a foot tall mohawk, the staff pushes it out the way and it springs back.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
I am using bandana simply. It does leave a bump of hair but it doesn't cause too much problems. Just get used to it

burning_ninjanewbie
39 posts

Posted:
I used to use my long hair as a way to wield the staff without touching it my friends in hervey bay could tell you about some wierd techs that require long hair to do, anti-contact in a sense( it's not really cause your hair still counts as a body part)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion

CrazyMeBRONZE Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
Well if your spinning fire and you mess up the fire could take care of your hair problem. Kidding XD well it worked for me singed the bottem off my hair pretty nice even though it was really short lol, i've discoverd growing my hair probibly isnt gonna happen to fast, but i would just say tie it up and get grips that arent rubber lol

Pie Cake Spork Avocado Guacamole Cheese Cake FIRE!

YorkshireSILVER Member
33 posts

Posted:
It is quite the obstacle! I've got dreads and I just wear it in a bun. Christ rolls and SNES's still kinda catch my hair a bit. I can do a continuous Matrix's and it don't effect the flow of the move. I find it's only certain moves that will give you a hassle. But Contact Staff is freakin' AWESOME! Don't chop it off, work around it, improvise! smile

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I chopped my dreddies short(er) recently, Much easier to keep out of the way now grin