Page: ......
GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Throughout the world of poi there walk a breed aside from other moves. Many have claimed that they don’t exist, or that they did, but that they died out with some long lost tribe of poi masters, and now they are “just legends”. But, they exist, and not just in the fairy tales we tell young poisters and poiettes to make then scared of the bogie poi that live under their beds.

The Jedi set are the most technical of the most technical moves.
The Jedi set are the poi swinging moves which defy the known laws of the physical world.
For everyone of them, at the moment only a handful are known, is utterly a Jedi move.

Until recently the easiest known move in the the jedi set was a 5 beat weave to reverse 5 beat weave behind the back, preferably done in the wall plane. And yet some exciting new discoveries uncovered using the latest state of the are technology in archeopoilogy. New additions have been threatening to join the ranks of the Jedi set, The Eight Council of Poi demi-gods are currently in congress to determine the place if any of these exciting new finds which include 2 air wraps within the Jedi set.

Not everything is known of the origins of the Jedi set. But it is much hinted in pagan folklaw, that in days of old back in martober two mysterious men, possibly of a tribe of orangeness denoted by their attire met in a misty field in Clay-pham a small village near Londinium. And lo, One of them who may have been the legendary Jedi Tony Touch spaketh unto the other, (the ugly stupid one with poor personal hygiene) who is, it is rumoured to be a distant forefather of the author. (alas the lineage has never been proven).

“That move is utterly Jedi.”

And to the sounds of trumpets from between the legs of a chorus of angels, the Jedi set was gently placed by a large crane amongst the meeting of poiers.
And the quest began...

That was many moons ago, and little remains to document what happened in that original quest...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
wow it got busy on here huh!

to be honest as a performer i couldnt give a toss if i get paid for it or not, i was doing this stuff before and i love it more than ever.. look at it from all angles.
i just love to spin, i love to think up new variations and moves.. being on hop means i am with my friends and sharing my experiences with them and helping them along..being a jedi isnt what i am about i dont think i am that good and dont wish too be, i want to be me, not some preconceived god of the poi community, my ability at poi is my own hard work and my love for it and sharing with others makes me happy.
I hope most will agree with my post...
i love you guys and without some of you i wouldnt be who i am today. you know who you are.

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
OH and I just realised santanatwo's windmill waistwrap comment was not aimed at me!!!!! hehe oh well thats what happens if you do not read in context.

[ 27. November 2002, 22:25: Message edited by: Jez ]

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jez:

People were posting moves asking for an acceptance that there move was 'Jedi' and wanting to prove themselves worthy to be respected.

OH and I just realised santanatwo's windmill waistwrap comment was not aimed at me!!!!! hehe oh well thats what happens if you do not read in context.

yay wicked some one came through.....nice one Jez i'de like to shake your hand if you were here in front of me right now.

and as for that windmill thing daniel... i aint sayin nowt man.... its a bitch forwards. good practice makes good move. have fun playing.

oh and Jez sorry about your concept thread man, just wanted to share that these concept moves are al inside of us all and that we all progress in our own ways... as far as i gather we all come up with the same things....after all these are all just variations... and this thread was also about similar concepts.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
This has all got a bit rocky! This is how I see it, but I'm a little pushed for time!

Jez, if you thought that this thread was started to show off, boost an ego or gain respect then there's a stick and you've got the wrong end! Drew started it, I know Drew pretty well and I know he didn't post moves or vids for ages because he was worried this is how it would be seen. It isnt.

Are we to never post new moves or comment on our own ability in case people think we're being egotistical? Do we pussy foot around and be fluffy and nice but mediocre for fear of rocking the boat? No.

This thread was started to try and suggest new moves, raise the bar a bit. The 'Jedi' bit came from a jokey comment from Tony Touch and Drew and does slightly reflect on the moves. But it's not ego.

Truth is there's not that many great advanced new moves out there on HoP and they're needed. COL3 was a lot of pretty average spinning and the only decent or interesting spinners don't actually post on HoP. A lot of people, myself included, do not want to submit to the COL videos for various reasons, so instead ideas are posted online.

There are poi nerds who love being technical and purist and enjoy the challenge of advanced technical moves. But not everyone feels the same, which is why nobody is forcing anyone to read threads or post replys. Like everything there is variety, and that's cool.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
more bene gesserit moves.
do an inside butterfly, and make sure the timing is dead synchronized. as both poi reach the top intersect the planes so both poi hit each other and reverse direction. rinse. repeat. be sure to do it when the wicks are dripping wet, now, kids.
man santanatwo crazy. we are discovering the exact same moves at the same time. crazy. i feel really connected to you now. not like in a gay way or anything. like brotherly. like it would even be okay to pat each other's butts and stuff. okay that didn't sound right. anyway about the handcuff wrap out of butterfly hyperloop. try doing it split time as well, i think there are more possibilities open if we do.. like unwrapping into the atomic 90 butterfly moves, possible emergence into multiple beat weaves?...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
this post is for those that wanted me to do this for if you have the time to download them...
coleman, daniel, Ros.
video 1 fire
video 2 aerotechs

they are big files so if you have broardband or isdn then they wont take you as long... sorry if you have crap modem like myself but i hate compressed footage..this is as compressed as i will make it.
i post these not as an ego trip... but to share with you some recent footage since col3. and no every thing in them is as smooth as i would like.
happy viewing hope some people learn new stuff from these.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
eh methinks arashi's been using the weirding way to perform 7.2 beat weaves Hey arashi, they let guys join in the honoured matres!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
bender-yeah, of course i was going to name the bene gesserit sietch meteor the honoured matres sietch meteor, but then no one would've gotten it! just trying to appeal to the masses.

[ 22. November 2002, 14:52: Message edited by: arashi ]

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
*bangs head on desk*
Everyone! Stick. Right end. Wrong end.
You're all agreeing, you're just reading it wrong!!!!

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
aaaaaaaahhhhh calmcalmcalmcalmcalmcalm....
almost feel it is time for this thread to stop or change name to 'extra technical moves and bitciness thread'
i don't think glass ever intended either of these things when starting out this one...as dom mentioned the whole concept is based on playing (with your mind as well)

soooo!
chill... or go somewhere else methinks....

Rob
ps should mention tho i do like some of these silly manouvres......
and would like to call for a naming.... 5beat btb forwards into backwards to be the 'straightjacket'..... any complaints?

brain replacement...anyone?

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
ps away forr a few days so no shouting at me until i get back
(sunday...)
love
R

brain replacement...anyone?

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
I am so sorry if i offended you by my last post

i thought you might guess that some of my opinions might be a little tongue in cheek from my previous post.

I must admit i was also curious to see what the point was to some of these moves.

I still stick by the fact that if an audience cannot perceive the difficulty of a move (in comparison with another) they do not apprieciate it. If it looks difficult to them then they love it (eg behind the back, ultra fast stuff, body moves, isolations, whatever). But if it's beyond their ability to distinguish between those and other technically harder moves, in terms of performance, wassa point?

I must admit i am slightly biased towards perfomance 'cos it's what i do...

Poi is fun, and it's still just swinging things round on bits of string, can't you laugh at yourself for being so obsessed (and even getting spiritual) with something so stupid.

Hell, i make a living from swinging bits of string around, people fly me all over Europe and sometimes further afield 'cos i can do this.

rofl ( i have plenty of room to do this as i don't own a TV )

Or am i the only one with this sense of humour...

I particularly apologise to Fluffy, i was surprised you got so upset by what was meant as a little dig in the ribs. Sorry

'The meaning of your communication is the response you get' - i guess i learned a lesson today.

Anyway i'm off to learn a new tune on my musical saw. I wonder what i'd have to be able to play to become a jedi at that...

'Flight of the Bumblebee' maybe...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

[ 27. November 2002, 08:25: Message edited by: PK ]

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:

[ 27. November 2002, 23:09: Message edited by: fluffy napalm fairy ]

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
*chop*

safe travels dom - hope the teeth thing wasn't too bad before you left

[ 28. November 2002, 01:08: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
formally an off topic nasty post!

[ 27. November 2002, 08:27: Message edited by: PK ]

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Maybe we should get this thread back on the right track, so I will suggest more moves!

Here is a simple variation to an often used move. Whilst lying down use a horizontal one handed butterfly to wrap on both legs sticking up and reverse out.
Variation:
After the leg wrap follow immediately with an arm wrap using your free arm to wrap on and repeat between these two moves, you can even take the beat out so it immediately wraps from one to the other.

Funny humorous moves!!
No handed butterfly to overhead no handed butterfly.

This requires you to place your poi handles in your mouth so be careful!!! Do a butterfly then stuff both handles into your mouth. Then keep the butterfly going by moving your head up and down. To do the overhead butterfly, tilt your head right back.

No handed split time butterfly turns.

Do a split time butterfly, stuff both handles into your mouth. Turn your head from side to side to keep it going. To turn you just turn your body as you move your head to one side. i.e. head to the left, turn to the left.

WARNING be careful use soft handles and I recomend using soft socks. I do not want anyone damaging their precious teeth attempting this move.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nice one jez

i saw you doin those no handed butterflies @ spitz (the one that cass was @) and they looked crazy

the no handed stuff really lets you know when its time to wash your sock poi too. tried it and just thought 'YUCK'!

[ 23. November 2002, 11:00: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
And remember not to borrow someone elses socks to show off the move either!!!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
formally an off topic apology post!

[ 27. November 2002, 08:28: Message edited by: PK ]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I'm so overwelmed with new moves right now, I think I'm going crazy Not enough time to practice all this new stuff

I have discovered that the hyperloop handcuff weave is THE hardest move to perfect. If you make the slightest error in the hyperloop wrap placement or timing or arm movement you get completely tied up. Ok, well the double butterfly neck wrap is harder...but not by much.

[ 28. November 2002, 07:48: Message edited by: santanatwo ]

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
[ ]

ps Santanatwo, that inside hyperloop move is wicked. Thanks. nice. Would love to see the rest of the variations yo're comming up, cool.

[ 27. November 2002, 14:49: Message edited by: glass ]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Thank you glass
it might be a while before I have those variations perfected though....it's like they go up and order of magnitude in dificulty from a hyperloop...just like when I first started learning the btb weave.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
my goodness gray-shuss, santana, i start talking about touching butts and here you are talking about how i should pull my pants down and get my bum kissed let's not joke too much or people will start to wonder, dude!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Thankyou ros fairy
thankyou colaman
and thankyou Cassandra
1000 times thankyou

Pk fire video, wicked. Respect. fucking A1, Superb
gonna have another look, but its right up there with a video by a guy named nick. you know the one. poitastic.

aerotech video err, error

[ 27. November 2002, 14:50: Message edited by: glass ]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Damn arashu, I think you just made me blush...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
:off topic:

[ 28. November 2002, 14:54: Message edited by: PK ]

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
for glass + PK

[ 27. November 2002, 23:10: Message edited by: fluffy napalm fairy ]

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Sith:

Windmill/ or cork screw left side 1 time to Windmill/ or cork screw right side 1 time.
It's possible.

could we have a little description pwease? i have an idea of what i think it is, but i think you are talking of another. and are we talking 2 beat moves?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
This picture is photographic proof that yoda is a Jedi of the fire.
Non-Https Image Link

Either that or some geek with a lot of time on his hands has doctored a DVD still!
:twiddles thumbs:
hey look there! i've spotted a train!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page: ......