Page: ...
GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Throughout the world of poi there walk a breed aside from other moves. Many have claimed that they don’t exist, or that they did, but that they died out with some long lost tribe of poi masters, and now they are “just legends”. But, they exist, and not just in the fairy tales we tell young poisters and poiettes to make then scared of the bogie poi that live under their beds.

The Jedi set are the most technical of the most technical moves.
The Jedi set are the poi swinging moves which defy the known laws of the physical world.
For everyone of them, at the moment only a handful are known, is utterly a Jedi move.

Until recently the easiest known move in the the jedi set was a 5 beat weave to reverse 5 beat weave behind the back, preferably done in the wall plane. And yet some exciting new discoveries uncovered using the latest state of the are technology in archeopoilogy. New additions have been threatening to join the ranks of the Jedi set, The Eight Council of Poi demi-gods are currently in congress to determine the place if any of these exciting new finds which include 2 air wraps within the Jedi set.

Not everything is known of the origins of the Jedi set. But it is much hinted in pagan folklaw, that in days of old back in martober two mysterious men, possibly of a tribe of orangeness denoted by their attire met in a misty field in Clay-pham a small village near Londinium. And lo, One of them who may have been the legendary Jedi Tony Touch spaketh unto the other, (the ugly stupid one with poor personal hygiene) who is, it is rumoured to be a distant forefather of the author. (alas the lineage has never been proven).

“That move is utterly Jedi.”

And to the sounds of trumpets from between the legs of a chorus of angels, the Jedi set was gently placed by a large crane amongst the meeting of poiers.
And the quest began...

That was many moons ago, and little remains to document what happened in that original quest...

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
whip catchs should be jedi i reckon lol... i wonder if its possible to isolate a hyperloop then to stall it as well that would be a mind game lol

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
On tribe I have heard mentions of Moose-Eyes.

Just from the name they should be in. wink

IIRC, they are hand following poi head doing a cateye. Hard enough for me. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MikefromGlosi wonder if its possible to isolate a hyperloop then to stall it as well that would be a mind game lol

Im not so sure about stalling both at once, im pretty sure its possible (as long as the poi can slide along eachother)

but its not all that hard to stall one poi in same direction tangles, to change to opposite direction tangles, and visa versa.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonOn tribe I have heard mentions of Moose-Eyes.

Just from the name they should be in. wink

IIRC, they are hand following poi head doing a cateye. Hard enough for me. tongue2

I officially absolve my self from all seriousness relating to "moose eyes"

I think the Jedi part about a "moose eye" is not looking like you are having a fit wile doing it. wink

+Alien Jon

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
also not looking like a tit when somone asks what move are you doing and u have to turn around and say oh moose eyes lol

TankboySILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
ok....i think its time....

i think some of us must have turned to the dark side....

we need a sith set

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Intense wrap combos, Tankboy. tongue2

hug

TankboySILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
no, not wraps...they may be evil, but not in the sith way....

i think Ronan and Arashi are both sith lords.

flat tosses, geometric madness, pole shifting, crazy tangles, multiple beat insides....

i guess im kinda sith too....

the battle between the forces of light and dark has begun!

DarkenAvatar of the Dancing Fire
59 posts

Posted:
I must admit im very interested in this topic.

And i dont know that i have a move that is worth, but i do have one im quite proud of..

As long as id known, all my fellow poi performers could do hyperloops, and every time i tried, i hurt myself with the intensity.

So naturally, i let hyperloops to the wayside whilst i pursued other moves.

About a month ago i decided i was going to get ridiculous at them.

Which i did, and now i have a trademark hyperloop that when i excecute it properly lasts nearly nine seconds.

I begin from a reverse 3 beat, catch em on my left, and pull. They start to spin rythmically, and i begin by tracing a circle in front of my face, leading to a circle behind my head.

I then pull the hyperoop until its right behind my left ear, visible next to my head, and i push it down to the right side of my body and repeat it twice.

oajntoenatr i wish i had a video, my words dont do it justice.

For the dreamers out there, imagine a really dragged out dancey hyperloop that i float all around my body.

Im especially proud of the duration, and i did clock it in. I havent met a poi artist in my area who can match it, and while im positive a ton of you could thrash my little time, it does my ego good to brag a little. grin

"if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all."

-Golden Rule

"F*ck you. I spin fire."

-Darkens 3rd law

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Orbitals aka superduperuberloops? Although, since I can not do them, well done. grin

Jon: And what is wrong with calling a move a moose eye? It is an awesome name. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
For sure sounds like an orbital.

I don't really enjoy the idea of "Jedi" stuff... I mean... it seems like it would lead to egotistical twirling and I'm not up for that.

But I sincerely doubt that an egotist could get to jedi skills out of egotism alone, theres got to be a love in order to practice that often.

I'm happy with doing whatever I like, hunting down the physical puzzles that are there to be learned.

Moose eyes sound interesting.. dunno if I completely understand it.. though it gives me a few ideas to play with, all the same.

hug

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
I can't believe you guy's resurrected this old thread.....

M_N_S, don't worry, It's the whole point of poi, that just about when you start getting all egotistical about it, they come around and *WHACK* you in the face.

grin

TankboySILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
and as soon as you get egotistical,

someone will gladly point out that you are playing with balls in the end of socks, and nothing more....

the universe helps keep us in check

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: GlåssI can't believe you guy's resurrected this old thread.....

M_N_S, don't worry, It's the whole point of poi, that just about when you start getting all egotistical about it, they come around and *WHACK* you in the face.

grin

Hahaha, Unless you've been especially egotistical, then there'll be an incident that'll make you a little less egotesticle in future.

hug

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
"There is no dance, there is only tech."

wink

:R

hug

POI THEO(R)IST

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
but i think the jedi set could also and should be used as a insperational tool giving you ideas it did with me anyway

ExuroThe Prodigy
82 posts

Posted:
well in the recent tech explosion of late,
if i were to submit something to the jedi set it would be cateyes.
I mean, 6 years ago in this thread the buzzsaw iso was jedi.
srsly cateyes are pretty wicked and cant be done w/o a fair amount of practice and dedication.

and maybe wibbles....

--Ex

You play with fire,
You're going to get burned.

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
but if ur putting wibbles in surely whip catchs must be in as a matter of course.

ExuroThe Prodigy
82 posts

Posted:
obviously =P

You play with fire,
You're going to get burned.

russtafaristranger
16 posts

Posted:
most of the hybrids that have been turning up in vids lately are pretty jedi... and the ones involving cateyes need a whole new word to describe them! eek

iamadamgordonBRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
what about a 7 beat atomic weave (5 beat + inversion)

neospy369GOLD Member
It's my burn life and i'll burn if I want to!!
76 posts

Posted:
What about this move?? It's one of my favs

I spin therefore, I inspire. You spin therefore, you inspire.

AbudiGOLD Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
5 beat atomic weave inversions

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
My 9bt weave, and this waistwrappy thingy that is really hard to explain but I amaze everyone with my pretzelness whenever I do it. Normally it's when someone goes "Hey, show this guy you're (insert overly pretzelly or other cool thing here)!" And with the 9bt they go "Woah, how do you do that to your arms? " laugh3

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Page: ...