tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Hi!

Was wandering around the house the other day and found a dusty set of poi hidden in a corner, and suddenly realised I hadn't spun in years. Thought I would have a look back here, and see how many people who were around when I was spinning are still doing it. There's quite a chunk, I shudder to think what moves are being discussed after 6 or 7 seven years of spinning poi! Will have to brush the dust off and have a twirl later, haven't had a black eye in years... Break out the (jeesh, can't even remember what they're called - those rock-hard plastic poi with LED's in them)...

Do those who have been spinning for years still have the same enthusiasm they did in the beginning? I would love to get it back, used to love spinning. Would be a pleasant distraction from the daily destruction here!

Don't worry, be happy...

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Beamers?
Beaming poi?

Don't worry, be happy...

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Welcome back, tadpole.

I've not been spinning long.

I figured I'd drop you this.

Its easy and it involves cateyes and line isolations which are things that probably wouldn't have been discussed 6 years ago.

Theres a lot out there, but I won't spoil it.

(Yes its my video, but I link you to that because I can find it within 3 seconds by just clicking the "my videos" tab on youtube)

Enjoy the fabulous world of tech that you can immerse yourself in... a lot of people have done a lot of work for you. Many a video out there. grin

hug

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I first started poi 5 years ago and my enthusiasm has decreased greatly in the past year or so.

But 4 years of decent practise time for somebody with an attention span like mine is insane laugh3 So I don't think I've done too badly.

I still gig, given the oppurtunity, and plan to get the Hastings meets up and running again over the summer.
But I just done have the urge to pick up my poi on a daily basis anymore.

I started poi as a child, and now I am an adult. I've got a proper job now and everything wink
Differant priorities. Differant situations. Differant friends.
Changes alot of things.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Did you ever feel like you hit a wall of your own skill? Would that have contributed to your falling interest?

hug

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I occasionally get bored. So I pick up some juggling balls, or a devil stick, or some acrylics, or try and balance playing cards on my finger...

I'm no good at not playing with things haha, maybe I should practise that more?

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonDid you ever feel like you hit a wall of your own skill? Would that have contributed to your falling interest?

Not really. As you well know, there is no 'wall' you can hit with poi. There is only room for improvement.

But making the improvements bore me now.
I'd much rather just sit down and do some paintings or draw a picture.

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Not really a wall, but it definitely took longer to learn to isolate a BTB weave than it took to learn the butterfly, so I reckon a lot of it was just the time needed to get any visible increase in skill.

For me, as Aimee said, suddenly there were more interesting things to do, something I would have found hard to imagine at the time!

Looking at the moves section, it would be almost daunting to start now, there seems to be so much available. I think when I started there were 20, maybe 30 tutorials. One blurry .gif of a guy doing BTB at night with fire poi, almost impossible to decipher, which I stared at for 100's of hours trying to work out how his arms did that!

Well, enough talk, I'll have to give this a bash again.
EDITED_BY: tadpole (1228998039)

Don't worry, be happy...

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I don't figure you "hit a wall" so much as "arrive at a plateau" where your motivation to learn new moves wanes and you get bored.

I went through several of those before I finally realised that I'm not so fussed about learning new moves as I have enough now to keep me occupied and prefer instead to just go out for a spin using what I already know. Sometimes new ways of doing a move, or new things to do with that move manifest themselves and hopefully, I can remember or figure out what they were.

Woooah..What was that ? That was fun...Can I do it again? Can I even remember what I just did ?

I think the big change, ie loss of interest happens when you stop practicing in your head. Some of my best combos have come up when I've been sitting in the bathtub.

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
i think alot of people who have been spinning a while do plateau, a point is reached where they are 95% of the way to spinning how they *want* to spin and realise that last 5% is the most annoying to get.

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
all learning has plateaus - sooner or later you will hit one, and its how you deal with it that counts really.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
When I first started I didn;t know anyone else who did it, and I didn't know about internet lessons. I was happy as, just doing it for myself and making circles with those really hard GloBugs. Then I met other people (Dom etc) who were so afar ahead of anything I could do I kinda gave up. Then I got reinspired with the more techy stally type stuff.. and funnily enough, running UberOz things for OTHER people to get inspired

Now I tend to associate it with social gatherings, and don;t often do it on my own. Still love it, but don;t do it nearly enough!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Yeah I have slowed down even in my first year but a lot of it is season, and my proximity to other spinners. When I'm around it more I strive to do it. Right now I'm mostly working on music. At least once a day I grab one of my prop and play with them though.

Originally Posted By: Stout
I think the big change, ie loss of interest happens when you stop practicing in your head. Some of my best combos have come up when I've been sitting in the bathtub.

YES

In fact I didn't start with poi I started with rope dart, by the time I got my own flags the amount of practice in my head had me doing better already.