Forums > Social Discussion > Real Name or Online Name preferences?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
This is something I've been meaning to ask and that I've run into quite a bit in my travels.

When you meet people from online in real life, do you prefer using your screen name or your real name and why?

And when you meet people from online, do you prefer to use their real name or screen name and why?

Just curious. smile

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Bek66

Awww, poor Doc...it took me a long, LONG time to readjust to the time and season difference once I got back from Oz...

It's 3:56 PM.

AND THE SUN IS GOING DOWN. It was a perfectly gorgeous day. 60F/15C high, sunny, bright, gorgeous. And over at 3:45 PM???

Argh! I hate winter!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Erhm. Was that OT? angel

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SeyeI usually just have to explain to people the Seye is pronounced "s eye" (Si).

OH? shocked

Right. Got it.

-Mike

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Doc LightningOriginally Posted By: SeyeI usually just have to explain to people the Seye is pronounced "s eye" (Si).

OH? shocked

Right. Got it.
I usually get that reaction. I've had it as a screen name for about 10 years. It was the name the I used to DJ under so its kinda stuck. There's a lot of people who've only ever known me as Seye.

Most people seem to think its pronounced "Say" but I've never worked out why. I've come to accept it though and just answer to whatever pronunciation people use.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Flynt
Just dont call me "Hey you!" wink

And don't call me late for dinner laugh3 lol2 laugh3

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Seye
Most people seem to think its pronounced "Say" but I've never worked out why.

Standard rules of English pronunciation, dearie. You'll understand when you get older. *pat pat*

duck wink

-Mike

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks all!
I find this so interesting.

I also think I've noticed a trend between those whose online names can pass for real names, vs those which are more like phrases.

Pele is actually a performance character for me. I continue to use it out of habit whenever I sign in somewhere but when I meet people I prefer my rl name, though I answer to any of my character names, or mom, or doll, or sweetie, or you or hey bitch or..... wink My preference is Lynnie though.

I also prefer using peoples real names as it does feel more personal. Flashpoint def is on to something with the simplification as well, as we do naturally gravitate towards that I think.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.... Depends. Most people call me Martin. Some I have met via online things use Aston though. Very rarely is my name shortened to Marty though. Only a couple people have ever bothered....

With others, it depends on what the name is. "Mark" is easier than "ememwonzeday" for example....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Void grin

I used to go by Meme when I was younger. But its cutesy wootsy, and I hate that so I went back to my real name. I'm always being called cute. Some women are sexy, ravishing or beautiful, but me? Kittens and rainbows. Bleurgh.

I have a habit of shortening any name, so will generally call people by the one that shortens easiest, unless asked to call them something different.

I like being called Aim or Aims, and even go by 'A' sometimes by chronic name shortener's.

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
My last name is Honey (which was sooo much fun in High School). Honeypuffs is a breakfast cereal here. It eventually caught on and was then shortened to Puff. People only really call me Chris when they're angry at me grin

Let my words, dear friends, be treasures. Weightless golden butterflies that hang before your eyes for seconds, then are gone. But the dust of truth and beauty that their wingbeats leave behind will settle on your soul and make you happy. - Edward Monkton

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
I don't really like being called some of my nicknames because they're just awkward. When someone says "hey funkleft" I think "why can't they just say josh?"

I'm one of four josh's in that community though, and it's already a bland name, so I don't blame em for tryin to go with something else but I wish I had a nickname I took more of a shine to. I'm studying up again on old alphabets and things. I like single syllable names so I'm "shopping around" I guess for ideas.

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: =Flashpoint=Bov = 1 syllable
Rory = 2 syllables

Flashpoint = 2 syllables
Pete = 1 syllable

I think the shorter the name, the more often it gets used?

IMHO

Though anyone attempting to call me 'Haze' will be shot, without trial.

It's weird, I'll cheerfully answer to Heather, Hayley, 'H'... But Haze? My parents gave me that last letter for a reason. Hazel= tree (and nut), Haze= UK brand of air freshener..

I rarely actually call most people anything. It's a weird aversion, but I'll stretch a conversation to breaking point to avoid having to actually use the name of the person I'm talking to.. No problem when I'm talking about someone who's not there though..

I think it's partly because I have an awful memory for names and also a left over from when I used to have a mate who everyone called by a nickname he hated.. which I didn't want to do 'cos I liked the guy- but no-one used his real name.. I saw him almost every day for 5 years, and never called him *anything*.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
seee i was boring and went with mikefromglos you shorten it you get my name. and i livein gloucester so yeh lol....

I remember walking round playa with a t-shirt saying mikefromglos on it so i suppose i perferr mikefromglos less confussing for everyone

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Mikefromglos is now your playa name.

Doc Lightning is mine, which was a mistake because now I'm "Doc" instead of "Lightning."

-Mike

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Learning_To_CookI prefer real names.

With people I meet, I prefer to use their real name, or if I think I know them well/like them enough, I will call them by a nickname, usually one that I have made up, or on that other people use and I feel it just 'fits'... Informality. Makes people feel a little bit more comfortable around others.

laugh3

when was the last time you actually just called me 'rob'?

i find Bluecat to be a little odd. rob and bluecat are definitely two different people.... tongue2

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Hehehe...

How about Hazey?

Makes more sense, plus there's always fun to be had when you add the "y" to anyones name smile

Petey
Robby
Davey
Mikey

Though I am very aware of doing this IRL, some people will really resent this...

smile

(I promise not to call you Robby!)

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: hamamelisI rarely actually call most people anything. It's a weird aversion, but I'll stretch a conversation to breaking point to avoid having to actually use the name of the person I'm talking to.. No problem when I'm talking about someone who's not there though..

Actually, that seems to be the case for me too. Not that I stretch things to breaking point....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
This is something I don't think I have ever thought about in detail -though I smile every time I get called "Eveish" as it seems kinda funny to me, to be called by a screen name in real life. People do call me both Eve and Eveish tho - there isn't a huge difference I guess!

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

Page: