Forums > Social Discussion > Real Name or Online Name preferences?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
This is something I've been meaning to ask and that I've run into quite a bit in my travels.

When you meet people from online in real life, do you prefer using your screen name or your real name and why?

And when you meet people from online, do you prefer to use their real name or screen name and why?

Just curious. smile

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I switch between the two in person. I get called "Lightning" and "Doc" all the time, which is fine, because "Mike" is a common name and there's often more than one of us.

Online, I try to respect privacy by defaulting to online names. I slip up from time to time, but while I make my first name readily known, I know some people don't want it used.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I use their real name for sure and would much rather people called me by my real name as well... it feels weird to do otherwise. Though I did clarify who I was from HoP.

Only exception I see for using someones online name would be if that happens to be their real life nickname... and usually I prefer to use real names anyway.

hug

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
meh... six of one, half a dozen of t'other...

I got pogo from so many people from all over for such a long time, I semi-seriously considered changing my name a lil while back; and it kinda suits me. don't care what you call me, as long as you call me... smile

for others...? ye, I kinda switch back and forth... both seem appropriate at various times. ditto, re: the online, respect privacy thing, doc, but I forget too.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
online ill use their online names and when I first meet someone from Hop Ill introduce myself as Valura/Kristy

But I tend to use their real names cept Doc was...well Doc.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
online, i think i tend to use real names with friends, ie. ill call valura, kirsty, or chicken, or bro.. introductions are handy with both names, to avoid confusion, and in real life, i tend to use real names..

doc and rouge are the exceptions that prove the rule smile

and flynt fits in all categories tongue2

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Usually i introduce myself with both.
Outside of Israel most people call me Poiboy other than the few who manage to pronounce my name without it sounding weird because of the accent.
Here only jugglers and fire spinners call me poiboy

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
In person I prefer to use real names generally, but online I try and stick to screen names, to help anyone who doesn't know someone's real name follow the conversation.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
well yeah i prefer my online name all the time...by everyone... umm

*waits*

laugh3 i'm just a bit boring & tend to use my name (or nickname in hop's case!) on the net!!! laugh3

but yeah...when i meet people in person i still tell people that i'm gita on hop...& gita in real life! smile laugh3

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
haha geets.. i cant believe how long/odd your name is nowadays.. its awesome grin

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Id prefer Mr Flashpoint, but Pete is usually good too.

I dont care, i'll answer to anything upto and including "buttface"

But I'd prefer...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I'll generally answer to anything beginning with the letter 'H', which would go for both, as for some reason, loads of folks forget my name and switch it for another 'H' one anyway..

No-one's ever tried to use my online name though..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I always prefer to call people by their real name unless they specially say that they want to be called by their HoP name. I don't know, it just seems more personal and better to me. I know that I prefer to be called Steph so I do so to others. But sometimes when I'm at meets I get 'roar', and I guess that's okay too smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I think 90% of hoopers know me as Chutney and only as Chutney- if it wasn't for Facebook I don't think anyone would know me as David. Like Mike I also find that 'Daves' are quite prolific so I'm happy to have a more individual title.

On the odd occasion when a hopper calls me David it usually feels really weird, much like a parent using your full name to tell you off.

Only major drawback would be if one ended up in bed with someone that knew you solely by your HOP name... Screams of "OH CHUTNEY!!" would be a step too far...

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
In the five years I've been here I've only met three people from this site and in all three cases it's been a real names only thing.

I'd expect to be called by my real name as I have no attachment to the word stout..save for it being my breakfast beverage of choice. wink

David.

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
Well, clavey is my real last/nickname so I dont mind being called that on or offline. So many people call me clavey I dont mind, but I think it'd be weird if folk called me burning of the clavey...just clavey will do smile Or Lianne if you so wish tongue2

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
I always introduce myself as Tom, I often wonder how many HoPpers make the link between me and my screen name when they meet me, particularly as I don't post that much. Some of my old uni friends still call me Mot/Motley though.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
My screen name is a nick used in real life and on the web...

and stout - you drink stout for breakfast? eek

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I tend to use my real name in most things, nowadays...I'd even thought about going back and changing my name on here, but I'm just too lazy... shrug

Of course, I get so many versions of my name, that it really doesn't matter...everything from Rebekah, which most of my friends around Raleigh know me as...Bek, which is an old nickname from when I was growing up and which my sweetheart managed to revive... smile...Becka from my newly found birth family...and Becki, which is the name most of the people in my family and home area call me...

I think I should be confused... eek

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Bek if you do change your name here, what I did when I went from MikeGinny to Lightning was to go MikeGinny (Lightning) for three months. Then Lightning (MikeGinny) for three months. And then just Lightning. Except someone else is Lightning, so I was L.i.g.h.t.n.i.n.g. And -<=Lightning=>- and Líghtníng and all |_ightning and all sorts of fun stuff. And then I became a doctor...

-Mike

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
hm its like heaps different for different names..

but gabe is gabe
and gita is gita
but bender is totally bender

i usually use 2D names when they have something to do with their 3D names likeeee brenn or dag or basstones grin and meg is mcp but only when shes nangnanging. but like mother natures son its heaps easier to say his 3D name.. tongue2 but neon dave is english dave really.. yeah it all depends.. depends whether your hanging out with hoppers that would "get it" or if theyre unhoppers who will just think your additionally odd but using wierd online nicknames.. but unhoppers must be the unhappiest people on earth anyway. grin okimdone.

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh jesus. What time is it? What day is it?

*holds head* I have a headache.

-Mike

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Doc ---> [Old link]

No worries. smile

hug

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: pineapple pete

and flynt fits in all categories tongue2

haha, yup. I cant be bothered to have 2 different names. Flynt is my real name!

If it helps, my family call my by a different name, and then there's all the random versions of my name: Flynty, Flyntos, Flyntosaur, Flyntimicator, ect...

Just dont call me "Hey you!" wink

Currently on the right side up of the world.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I get called Ucof, joncof, 'cof but I do also get called "Jon" by a few.

Skully was adamant that I called her Lynne when I moved in and it took me a while to change grin

I know that Dunc changed his name as he couldn't get used to being called "Custom_Bug"/"Custom".

I think it depends on how well I know the people and how comfortable I feel with them. I don't call Bluecat "Bluecat" for example, I call him "Rob". "Ed" rather than "LTC". BamBam and Coleman are good examples too smile
Everyone in my phonebook is on with their HOP names though. I have had more than a few people go "You know some people with really weird names...." grin
EDITED_BY: UnscrupulousChavOffersFoot (1228825152)

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I get called by both. For quite a while i was only known really as Pink, and even got so used to being called Pink that I rarely answered to Alice.

But nowadays I'd say it's a 75/25 split (Alice/Pink).

I personally don't mind either. I see them both as my name as i've used the nickname Pink for so many years!

As for other people - with my boyfriend it's an odd one, everyone (literally everyone) outside of England call him Vux. But because apparently us english can't pronounce Vux right, so uses his real name Julien ... which he also gets annoyed when people call him Julian. I find myself switching to calling him Vux when we're with everyone but english, and Julien amongst english people. it's odd.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I prefer real names.

On the board, I'm not fussed either way. If you know me as Ed, call me Ed. If you know me as LTC, call me that.

With people I meet, I prefer to use their real name, or if I think I know them well/like them enough, I will call them by a nickname, usually one that I have made up, or on that other people use and I feel it just 'fits'... Informality. Makes people feel a little bit more comfortable around others.

Some people go by nicknames, but in certain cases I just refuse to use them, because I don't think that the word is well associated with the person. And of course, some monikers are just a mouthful wink

It took me ages to find out thebovrilmonkey's real name, though, so he was just 'Bov' for ages laugh3

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Bov = 1 syllable
Rory = 2 syllables

Flashpoint = 2 syllables
Pete = 1 syllable

I think the shorter the name, the more often it gets used?

IMHO

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Doc LightningOh jesus. What time is it? What day is it?

*holds head* I have a headache.

Awww, poor Doc...it took me a long, LONG time to readjust to the time and season difference once I got back from Oz...and my mind still doesn't want to accept the fact that I'm not still on Oz time...I sleep only in 3 or 4 hour increments...course, I was there for 3 months and still regard it as home, so I have a bit of an excuse...

Oh...and as you all can see, I got a bit unlazy and changed my name...Bek, I now am, and evermore shall be... smile

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I usually just have to explain to people the Seye is pronounced "s eye" (Si). Then my screen name is the same as my name.

I usually use whatever name people prefer me to. I've been floating around on net forums for 10 years now and met an enormous amount of people through online encounters. Some I call by their real name and some by their screen name.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Jemima is my fancy name and it's on my birth certificate. For some reason it changed to Jemma for the first 18 years of my life, then Jemima made a came back and I like it but close family and friends still call me jemma or jem. I'm also jem at work, a few people know me as jemma at work but I wouldn't want to confuse people wink

I am jemmmamimmmamima it's very straight forward tongue2

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Page: