Forums > Other Toys > Anyone else do 3 piece staff (sanjiegun)?

Login/Join to Participate

CyricxGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
Right now I do nunchucks and have been for a long time, this last year I've started doing them on fire.

That kinda lead me to the 3 piece staff also called a sanjiegun.

Does anyone else do moves with this?

Right now, I can do wrist rolls, figure 8s with one hand, and the btb rotor as well as the over the head one where you pass it back to your opposing hand etc.

Got another spin that's kinda like the poi 3 beat weave too.

Anyway, wondering if there are others out there?

I'm also doing chuck passes with it etc! smile

US Performer liability insurance run by performers. Why pay more then you have to?

WeAreSafe.org

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
sectioned. ive played around with one a bit, got figure 8s and rotors, horizontal rotors. Dangerous device it is.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

CyricxGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
There is definately a learning curve to it smile

It'll certainly be one of those tools that have to meet my 3 month rule before I'll light it smile

I like that I can do alot of wraps and passes like I do with chucks with it.

US Performer liability insurance run by performers. Why pay more then you have to?

WeAreSafe.org

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
yer i've got one to one thing i found helps loads was to get a 3 sectioned nunchuck

nunchaku-seku-con (i think its called)

help me loads because its easer to move your nunchuck moves over to the 3 sectioned nunchuck then learn them with the 3 sectioned staff smile

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

guiermostranger
1 post

Posted:
hello i can use the 3 sectioned staff but i always play with a normal fire staff now i want to use the sanjiegun with fire any advice well i have one thats is made of wood but i dont know if is gud idea to put fire on it
thx have a nice day
EDITED_BY: guiermo (1228678492)

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Personally, I think doing 3-part staff on fire is a little corny... Some of the performances I've seen with it have so much energy it'd be inappropriate to distract from the performer with fire. Then again, maybe I'm just old fashioned that way! smile Still, now I want to dig mine out and play with it!

Robnunchucks, you're thinking of "san-setsu-kon," which is basically the Japanese equivalent of san-jie-gun - each mean "three section staff". A simpler term for the tool you're thinking of (the shorter variety, yes?) is sanchaku - nunchaku is the Okinawan word for "two section staff".

Guiermo, if you have a wood staff it could work, depending on what kind of wood, and whether it's treated and/or painted. If it's chemically-treated wood, don't use it; the fire will make all the gunk in it seep out and it's really gross and possibly hazardous - I've seen it happen on a curtain rod we were using for testing. If it's only painted, you can sand it off and it'll be fine. If it's another material like rattan, I suggest getting another sample of it so you can test it before you construct a prop with it; most rattan martial arts tools are treated and probably won't be suitable for use with fire.

If you want extra protection, you can wrap any wicked section with aluminum foil tape - it's inexpensive and quite useful to have on hand! Again, if the wood is treated, the heat will cause the stuff to seep out and the foil tape won't stick. Apart from that, decide where you want the wicks and attach them as you would an ordinary staff.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
I used to have a practice one of these - and yes a bit easy to smack yourself out - Thank goodness it was padded smile

*In the car while Pink is playing on the radio*
Tristan aged 4 : "Mum is this Pink?"
Flame:"Yes mate this is Pink?"
Tristan:"Are you going to Pink?"
Flame:"Yes i am"
Tristan:"Cool well I'm going to BLUE" smile

ExuroThe Prodigy
82 posts

Posted:
Someone in my Fire Troupe has one.
I won't light it on fire though.
He has, but he's got a bit of martial arts experience with it.

You play with fire,
You're going to get burned.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty sure there's an olllllld thread on this topic that covers most questions....

here are my babies..

Non-Https Image Link

.. it's a very chinese weapon - took me several years to polish enough wushu style movements to develop a flowing routine.

Knowing what i know now, if I make another set i'd make em alot lighter. The walnut wood ones i use simply won't move fast enough without risking concussion!
The other issue is flame size. Because of my staff background, I hate having less than the equivalent of 6" of wick on any firetoy, which incredibly skews the handling of the end sections. If grace and form are important to you, then this is a significant disadvantage - If machismo is what you're after then it's no big deal.

And for the sake of the Mighty Kligon empire please shell out the $AU40 it takes to buy a foam practice set. You will hit yourself from unexpected directions alot and even more when you are starting out. $AU40 is a small downpayment on the reduction of injury.

play safe and feast on the entrails of your enemies!
b

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ZekajunguySILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
Im ok,,, hope this will give you a few ideas... i recommend getting use to 1 section.. getting use to stalls

No i will not do this for you....***looks at cookie*** ok ok.. ill do it but that beter be a damn macadamia nut cookie!!