MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I came up with this idea. Not sure what everyone thinks. And, of course, the final decision is Malcolm's.

So the problem with the "Meet Others" system is that it's not part of the Boards. And the "Events and Gatherings" thing isn't very user-friendly because it's not geographical. And because it's a UBB board, some things get buried five or six pages down and you have to go looking for them.

So why not start up some separate forums for certain regions?

*NZ North
*NZ South
*Australia East
*Australia West
*USA Northeast
*USA Southeast
*USA Midwest
*USA Northwest
*USA Southwest
*S. Africa (all... not so many people from there)
*England
*Scotland
*Ireland
*Continental Europe
*Etc...

It could all be done in one single new forum with a bunch of sticky threads. That would make it easier to keep track of your region.

This would be very helpful in helping to assemble spinning communities.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
I like it.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Ditto.

Couldn't hurt smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yep yep, especially since i lost a lot of my watched threads that were relative to my locality when the forum switch occured it would definately help direct people to their local community.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Too many forums then.

It would thin out the forums soooo much.

I would think it better to have threads with [UK] [ISRAEL] or whatever preceeding them as more useful. And maybe a geographic search function...

or a function before you start the new topic in the mett others/events section that forces you to select your location, so that the thread is appropriately named. (and hence easier to search)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Or even just cutting down the number of forums you split it into... I don't think Australia needs more than one... (Judging by the activity currently present)

hug

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if the number of people/events from the US justifies 5 categories, while Europe gets one.. Same for a few of the others..

Good basic idea though- I think I'd go for continent, then each thread has the country, seperate categories if it's a lot, cuts down on the number of forums, but still sorts it out a bit.
It's not really a discussion forum after all- I think ease of use would add more than is lost.. Plus it would stop me getting so jealous about really cool sounding meets on the other side of the world..;)

By the way, I note Canada didn't get a look in wink

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I like the idea but I think Meg's ideas are better as to keep the forums alive.
I think you should also be able to filter threads there based on Date/Location etc. Makes things easier to find, like if you're travelling you can just put the dates you want and the place and find all the festivals smile
Would prove useful for me for my trip in England this year smile

Ry_CanuckMaster of Mediocrity
25 posts

Posted:
Keep the forums as they are but just tidy up the Meet Others and Events and gatherings. Maybe something along the line of: https://www.helpx.net,
so you just click on where you want to go and bam, U get a list off everybody who is in that area plus a list of all events.