Page:
MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Right guys bit of a rant going on here so i am sorry.

I brought a x-box 360 the other day. smile great yay i can finaly play some up to date games yay. so i spend £150 odd on it! A lot of money for me i expect my money worth....

What a disapointment the console turned out to be!!! dont get me wrong the games fantastic well done lionhead studio (Fable 2). The problem is that to acess the x-box live function i would have to now shell out £50 for a wireless adpator because aparently the microsoft didnt have the foresight to put one in there when the made it dosnt matter they they had wireless controlers etc already.

So i decided to see if i could use my laptop as a gateway as it has a wireless adaptor but no a standard ethernet cable wont do the job aparently it has to do a $100 odd crossover cable.

What i say is that they are just massive money grabbing **** (insert best swear word here) So umm yeh any ideas how i could get around this or if u agree this is just there latest way to be money-grabbers?

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

plfBRONZE Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
Just seen this article on the register...

https://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/12/16/xbox_scratched_discs_updated/

In other words, true to form, M$ knew their product was a pile of **** but released it anyway.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Did you read the comments on that article? (I read the register daily btw smile )

Like everyone there says, WHY on earth would people decide to move/ reposition/ tilt their console not only whilst it was on, but whilst the disc was spinning? Of course it will get scratched! It's essentially a gyroscope!

Microsoft didn't probably think their product was a pile of **** before releasing it. I think they simply over estimated the common sense of their target market wink

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
"I hope they fail. What sort of great spangly macaroon moves a drive when it's spinning?

Even a laptop-style drive with spring-loaded clips on the spindle carries *some* risk of this.
"

Spangly macaroon... hahahahah...

hug

plfBRONZE Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
Actually in this instance I couldn't be bothered with the comments. I only read the article because of this thread, normally the only M$ related articles I read are the security ones and whatever is touched upon in BOFH.

In relation to your comment about M$ not thinking their product was a pile of ****... I very much doubt that they would have over estimated the common sense of their market. Anyone working in IT knows that users are bloody idiots and if you don't bear that in mind, you really have no business in IT.

peAce

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"Invent something idiot proof,and someone will invent a better idiot"

grin

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
What???? The comments are 90% of the reason I read the reg, occasional bouts of brilliance mixed with endlessly geeky wordplay and absolute stupidity grin Love it

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

plfBRONZE Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
Heh, don't get me wrong, I too enjoy the readers comments/rants and have been known to throw my own oar in on occasion. However in this instance there was also an element of time involved.

Got a house to sort out ready for saturday in and around Uni and work.

Ugh. anyone wanna tidy my house for me?

peAce

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: =Flashpoint=I both love and hate Fallout 3 for this reason.

Curses. I'm going off to get Linux smile

if your quite a hardcore gamer, linux will annoy you a bit too. mostly for the fact that your favorite games aren't released for it natively. although i keep hearing about more games companies that are planning to release native linux versions.

these websites are probably worth a read
https://gaming.gwos.org/doku.php
https://www.linuxgames.com/
https://icculus.org/lgfaq/

Originally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFootMicrosoft didn't probably think their product was a pile of **** before releasing it. I think they simply over estimated the common sense of their target market wink

not so sure about that, most of their previous o/s releases they've been more than aware of the problems but they've rushed releases just to get it out there.

they don't help themselves, any new o/s release is going to encounter problems when it's put through real-world use, i just think if they were a bit more stringent before they released they could minimise these problems.

this along with the fact that they want their o/s to be centre-point of your computer as oppose to just doing its job in an efficient manner. theres' no excuse for the system resources that vista requires as a minimum.
EDITED_BY: simta (1229439617)

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Agreed with the Vista system resources. It's a total joke.
I doubt I'll be moving away from XP in the near future.

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
best o/s ms ever released was win 2k pro. i remember running it for about 2 years solid before ever encountering a BSOD.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Like me and XP smile

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFoot"Invent something idiot proof,and someone will invent a better idiot"

grin

While its late in the game and I don't really have anything that is in any way useful to add to this conversation I feel the urge to put a quote in from one of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books by Douglas Adams.

"The problem with designing something completley foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."

And yeah... vista is redicarus... hopeless for gaming. My friend has a computer that is much better than mine, but for the simple fact that I run XP and he runs Vista games are smooth as a baby's bottom on my PC and yet run like the excretion of said baby's bottom on his.

hug

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFootLike me and XP smile

well i'll run a bet that your comp gets a BSOD before mine* tongue2

*possibly the safest bet i'll ever make

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_Son
And yeah... vista is redicarus... hopeless for gaming.

Meh, my vista laptop ran a lot of games a lot better (higher framerate & more stable) than my XP desktop (that has higher specs).

Although I wasn't a fan when I first started using it I'm liking vista a lot more these days. Especially after discovering how much easier the technophobes I support at work find it.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'm with Jon on the XP front.

Skinned and tweaked it's nifty little O/S - though wireless networking is better on Vista I find.

I just discovered the beauty of XBMC - yum-tastic.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I have absolutely no problem with Vista at all. I have to use it as most of the software I use will only run on windows and we're rapidly heading towards people dropping support for XP.

Pro-tools runs beautifully on it. Thats a big ask of any machine and OS.

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I think the biggist problem with the vista os is the fact that is so differant compared to previous ones

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MikefromGlosI think the biggist problem with the vista os is the fact that is so differant compared to previous ones

no, its the fact that it needs 1~2gigs of ram to run the thing, never mind what resources are necessary for running apps on top of that.

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
this is true tbf i havnt noticed that b4 no ib look at it i am using 55% of my ram all the time and i got 2G

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: simtaOriginally Posted By: MikefromGlosI think the biggist problem with the vista os is the fact that is so differant compared to previous ones

no, its the fact that it needs 1~2gigs of ram to run the thing, never mind what resources are necessary for running apps on top of that.

If I was getting a brand new system, I'd go for vista becuase chances are the rig will run it pretty easily. I'd never upgrade though... waaaay too much hassle. And therein lies the problem I guess...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Oddly enough,I'm waiting for a shipment of parts to arrive from a computer store so I can build my Uncle a christmas present.

Im going for 64bit XP rather than Vista smile

Page: