• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Lovo

Lovo

Lord and Master

Total posts: 74
Posted:G'day guys!
Just wondering if it is possible to do more than 5 beats in one hand on staff?
I can do 5 beat forward and backwards no both hands and looking to do more.
Cheers!
Lovo

Under the skin of our lives; somewhere deep and early, forgotten, we all follow the same dreams.
- unknown

Delete Topic

willworkforfoodjnr
SILVER Member since Aug 2007

willworkforfoodjnr

Hunting robot foxes

Total posts: 1046
Posted:*grabs staff*
*wrist snaps*

If we're talking a weave/reel I don't see any way of going above 4 beats, theres the usual 2 beat and then an additional beat on each end. How have you been fitting in the extra beat?

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Delete

Lovo

Lovo

Lord and Master

Posted:i'll try and get a video up when i have the technology. But basically the last beat is kinda over the shoulder. I add one more beat from the front when doing a forwards weave or from the back when doing a backwards weave.

Under the skin of our lives; somewhere deep and early, forgotten, we all follow the same dreams.
- unknown

Delete

pineapple pete
SILVER Member since Sep 2004

pineapple pete

water based

Total posts: 5125
Posted:honestly im not sure how many beats you can do with a staff.. but i would suggest this thread be moved to either of the staff tricks forums instead of social discussion..

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Delete

Pyrolific
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium

Total posts: 3289
Posted:hey Lovo - I'm moving this to beginners staff forum! smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Delete

Pogo69
SILVER Member since Apr 2006

Pogo69

there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness

Total posts: 3764
Posted:vids would be fabulous.

do you mean 6 equi-distant beats? that is, like a flower? or 6-bt, as in 1-bt, 2-bt, 4-bt weave etc, as per willworkforfoodjnr? cos with the flower, I don't think it's possible without some kinda turn; half turn, at the very least. oooh, hang on... maybe it is, by placing some of the beats behind you, on both sides. *plays some more with the cardboard poster tube under my desk*

on such things, I've been working on 5-bt flowers, on/off, and finally managed to suss the two-handed variety on monday evening; will try get a vid up soon, once I'm happy I've got it going relatively cleanly; I think it'll be pretty. smile

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Delete

Lovo

Lovo

Lord and Master

Posted:thanks for moving it. Problem now is that i started it again in advanced staff, could you just delete it from there for me?

The 5th beat goes over your shoulder and is in very close to your body. And it's like the figure 8 weave which i call a 2 beat. With the 5 beat i mentioned i'm still not letting go of the staff and it's all staying on the one side.

- unknown

Delete

Pogo69
SILVER Member since Apr 2006

Pogo69

there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness

Total posts: 3764
Posted:do what I don't... make a vid... grin

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Delete

Mynci
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Total posts: 8737
Posted:I'll ask sichainey because he puts extra spins in everywhere I know he puts in extra at the shoulder and 1.5 beats under the knee

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

willworkforfoodjnr

willworkforfoodjnr

Hunting robot foxes

Total posts: 1046
Posted:Ahhh, so you're kinda spinning right, right, left, left, more left... I likes smile

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Delete

Mr_Joe
BRONZE Member since Aug 2008

Mr_Joe

Part-time genius

Total posts: 59
Posted:I swear there's a video floating around of Simian doing what he called triplespins, or your 6-beat weave... I'll go have a snoop around.

EDIT: Well, here's the thread http://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbthreads/linkto/-Triplespin-vid-/433994
, but the link to the video is dead now, anyone still got it?

EDITED_BY: Mr_Joe (1228501204)

Delete

sichainey
BRONZE Member since Nov 2004

enthusiast

Total posts: 242
Posted:Originally Posted By: MynciI'll ask sichainey because he puts extra spins in everywhere I know he puts in extra at the shoulder and 1.5 beats under the knee

I got beats coming out my ass!!! not really sure what this 6 beat staff move is.... would need to see it, but yes you can add alot more beats than you think, just try playing with it and force an extra beat.

EDITED_BY: sichainey (1228586830)

Delete

Noiseyflower
BRONZE Member since Jan 2009

Noiseyflower

Yell and scream all you like

Total posts: 53
Posted:6 Beat is definetly possible, I've been shownm how to do it but I want to master 5 beat backward first before I start learning that. I think its an extra spin behind the back when moving the staff down from off your shoulder.

Delete

Lovo

Lovo

Lord and Master

Posted:I think I may have managed to put in an extra spin by putting the staff between my pinky and ring finger at some stage in the twirling. Need camera for video... frown

- unknown

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Total posts: 2418
Posted:Like adding a fingerspin, Lovo?

hug

Delete

Lovo

Lovo

Lord and Master

Posted:Not quite... I'll show this Sunday if you come.

- unknown

Delete