MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I have an anatomy question

So on some muscular people, there is this sort of crease thingie that starts on the bottom of the abdomen and angles inwards towards the midline and down towards the waist. This is that line that everyone loves on Brad Pitt's body.

Now, there is no medical word for this feature. The top half is the lower border of the external abdominal oblique muscle. The lower part of the line I call the "iliac crease."

Is there a popular word for this thing?

Oh, and here's a tidbit. The medical word for the "happy trail" is the linea nigra (black line).

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
One of my friends calls it the "Ab Arrow" cause it points down to heaven! lol

Personally it reminds me of the hip joints on a Ken doll, especially the over defined ones, and it wigs me out! lol

But what if the happy trail is on a blonde? Then it isn't negra (seriously? In the female of the word?)... wouldn't it be rubia/o??? LOL

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I always saw it as hip joints on a doll to. Funny how when people are so fit they have a crease like that it actually looks unnatural.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Pele, I actually got that very wrong. Good thing I looked it up because it comes up on boards

The linea nigra is ALWAYS dark because it's NOT HAIR! The linea nigra is a phenomenon found exclusively in pregnant women in which there is a midline skin pigmentation leading from the belly button down towards the mons pubis on the midline. I am not sure if the mechanism for this phenomenon has been explained (in terms of how hormones in pregnancy would lead to this very specific pigmentation change or what--if any--adaptive purpose it serves).

Actually, there's a lot you can tell about a patient's sex hormone status just by looking at pubic hair. But the linea nigra is not an extension of the pubic hair as it is in men. In fact, there isn't a name for that feature in men. It is simply part of the pubic hair because in men, both the upper and lower pubic triangles develop hair while in women the hair is almost entirely in the lower (the location lower pubic triangle should be pretty obvious, the upper pubic triangle has its upper apex at the belly button).

And this is actually medically important because examining pubic hair patterns can lead to some interesting diagnoses... No joke!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
At the risk of correcting one who is studying these things officially...

The linea nigra does not necessarily begin form the belly to the pubic region, but rather from the beginning of the belly itself (say somewhere below the bottom of the rib-cage).

I am of course, describing only one particular case...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I have to admit, I'm intrigued what you can learn from studying someones (probably your partners) pubic hairs - care to fill us in?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
actually, i'm also interested in the pubic hair thingy... sounds fun, too
so tell us, master mike, tell us.....

*gets notebook and pencil*

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda