Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Manchester Spinners Meet up Info + Stuff

Login/Join to Participate
Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
juggle weavesmiley Manchester Spinner’s Meet up and stuff weavesmiley juggle

Hi all If you are looking for people to spin poi with in the North west this is the place to be.

For any one new to this sight DON’T READ THE WHOLE THREAD it has been going a long time and contains lots of old information and chat about previous meet ups and organisation stuff just go to the last few posts to find out the most up-to-date information on current events.

First a bit of info the Manchester spinners lot is no professional spinning troop or organised events it is just a group of people who get together to enjoy themselves. The first meet up was organised way beck in September 04 https://delizium.fotopic.net/c291964.html

The crowd has changed a bit from back then but we have kept a few old timers we welcome all along to come and join us for a spin whether you be experienced or a complete beginner we are willing to teach and learn from you.

Their is no set time for the meet ups they are usually organised around when people can make it and how long they can stay.

I will try to update this first post as often as I can with the most up-to-date info on meet ups and club nights that allow spinning but if I'm being a bit lax just find the last few posts foe up-to-date info (like I said before weren’t you paying attention)

To date the standard meets have gone as meet up in Piccadilly gardens at 4pm (nice central point where every one can get to) Then move on down to the Gas Works/CastleField or Plat fields Park depending on the wether till everyone gets to cold/tired/burned then on to the pub

( anybody who doesn’t know where this is it can be arranged for someone to come meet you at the train station or wherever you are coming from .) smile

{ ubblove We are a nice bunch like that ubblove}

Accommodation for a night can usually be arranged but you need to sort this well in advance no just turning up expecting somewhere to sleep eek

(more to be added and all to be spell checked soon)

pm me any info you would like to add

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

FractosDirty Fire Project
133 posts

Posted:
WANTED
someone to teach me something following on from staff conveyor belt!
halos
staff contacty stuff

OFFERED
nunchuk basics
5 beat weave

I realise this is a sad indictment of my skillset but hey smile

oOo
You see, you already know circle-theory,
you just don't *know* that you know.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I can help with that dude but Dave is the man really.

WANTED

OFFERED
CONTACT STAFF - Dave (& Seye)
Fractos
DOUBLES/STAFF-ON-STAFF - Dave
Seye
POI(General) - Seye
Dave
POI ISOLATION - Seye
Dave
DEVILSTICK(anything, including contact) - Seye
The 'Oh-No' - Sim
Dave
G-STYLE POI - sim
SILLY NOT1.5 VARIATIONS - sim
NUNCHUK BASICS - Fractos
POI 5 BEAT WEAVE - Fractos

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
now all we have to do is transfer words into action ubblol

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
All sounds great, and will motivate me to want to come to some meets before I go off.

I'll offer hoop and movement with poi - (Old Skool stylee - dancing with poi rather than standing in one spot and doing lots of tricks)

In return I'd like someone to help me with the poi routine I've got to do for a friends wedding. eekk! Somebody else stick me in the template, I'm too hungry to do it myself.

Prob will see you on the 3rd then

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
sounds cool the lack of actual spinning was one of the thing putting me off coming to as many meets

also I have become super self conscious of my own spinning

WANTED
More people to spin so I don’t feel like I’m being watched
Very patient people to teach me very basic contact (I'm very stubborn and hard to teach)

OFFERING
Beginner poi (I’m quite good at teaching the basics
Unicycle lessons

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
How about moving back to the park now its summer

we have a great park near our house but it may be more dificult to get to than plat fields

or how about one of the other smaller parks along oxord road?

Past the number into Google maps

Alexandra park (near our house) 53.451060, -2.252180

Whitworth Park 53.458748, -2.229710

Birchfields Park 53.451350, -2.212380

Nice bit of grass by manchester uni 53.470353,-2.238293

seem to remember this is nice near MMU 53.471656,-2.224989

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Mint Sauce

sounds cool the lack of actual spinning was one of the thing putting me off coming to as many meets

also I have become super self conscious of my own spinning

you can be one of the worst offenders for not spinning tho wink

if your getting self-conscious about your spinning how do you think people who havent been around as long feel.

its really hard to spin when all the older heads are just sat around, and even though your all just sat about talking it always feels like your being watched. its hard to spin when you know everyone who are sat about chatting are loads better

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
guys need help!

someone posted a link to some pics on here (i think last year....) from a manc meet, there was a pic of me in grey scale leaning on my staff, i think i was listening to dave at the time.....

i need that pic! please help if you have an idea where it is or who has it....

cheers smile

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Not sure Jen. I scoured Pete's and Wez's pictures for one but couldn't find it. Might be on Rick's I dunno.

From the list, going by what seems to be popular, I think the best way to get everyone together to spin but keep it slightly informal is to have one hour purely for Contact Staff and one hour of Purely Poi. Simta, Seye and I can alternate in teaching contact staff stuff. Simta, Seye and Fractos can take the Poi class alternating in teaching. With a third hour of one-on-ones for anything else like unicycling, devilstick.

So if we meet up from about 3 or 4 shall we say:-

4pm - CONTACT STAFF - Dave, Seye, Simta

5pm - POI - Simta, Seye, Fractos

6pm - NUNCHUCKS - Fractos, DEVILSTICK - Seye, HOOP - Robyn (from me tongue) UNICYCLE - TOBI

Afterwards can be for random Q&A or general playing. With the ice broken with the workshops it should be easier for anyone with questions they want to address on a more one-to-one basis to do so.

This is just an idea. Feel free to add or suggest a different way of doing it.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Poistressstranger
8 posts

Posted:
This all sounds great. I'd be happy to help with the poi and hoop side of things, although I'm a bit rusty!

Can I just confirm that this is happening on Sunday 3rd August?

133 posts

Posted:
I'm no teacher, but will be happy to give it a go smile only got a few pairs of nunchucks too! you might have to live with the fact that you'll whack yourself round the back of the head a few times.

oOo

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
spose this means i have to turn up then tongue

see you all on sunday

yoyo22GOLD Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
right...finally coming to manchester next week n need to find ppl to spin wiv. are there any regular meetings or is there anybody out there that spins regularly?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Well you're in luck. Sunday 3rd we're having a meet and a few of us are going to try to run some workshops. Have a look on the last page for more details smile

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Neon_Shaolin

4pm - CONTACT STAFF - Dave, Seye, Simta

5pm - POI - Simta, Seye, Fractos

6pm - NUNCHUCKS - Fractos, DEVILSTICK - Seye, HOOP - Robyn (from me tongue) UNICYCLE - TOBI

great plan dave with slight drawback, although i would love take part in a hoop workshop this sunday i will be at brighton pride!! next time though definatly hug

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
ARGH! I complete forgot about that! You meeting up with Blu? If so give her my love! and apologies! I was too busy trying to sort my life out and forgot about the annual weekend of gayness! frown

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

old hand
865 posts

Posted:
off all ppl to forget about pride im asahamed really!
but to be honest this is all last minute for me, so i dont have any plans to meet blu, but if i happen to run into her i will indeed say hi from you. hug

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Now that looks organised, I'm supposed to be meeting Matt to do some passing anyway so a passing workshop perhaps?

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
I will be late im working till 3.30 than have to pop home and get changed but will be there

terri shuld be there after 6

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Mint Sauce

I will be late im working till 3.30 than have to pop home and get changed but will be there

terri shuld be there after 6

You don't have to change for us! I am sure you look great in your uniform. Plus you can have a look at my neck for me. I have kind of hurt myself while doing a SNES yesterday. Considering I can still type, I don't think is any nervous damage but still kind of hurt when I tilt my head. frown
EDITED_BY: Lowan (1217758691)

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I have no transport, so I'll see you guys next time smile

Hugs hug

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I reckon in that case we should take a vote when we get there whether to delay the workshops until later when everyone is present.

Awww Pete:(

133 posts

Posted:
hmm, prob a fan of that too, running late coming back from london, should be on time for the meet but can't pick up all the stuff i need. definitely up for doing it some other time though!

Written by :Neon_Shaolin

I reckon in that case we should take a vote when we get there whether to delay the workshops until later when everyone is present.

Awww Pete:(

oOo

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
I think a good time was had by all untill it rained frown

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
definitely one of best meets we had in castlefield for a while

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
And I missed it. Do people have the good meets when I'm not there? smile

hug

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

old hand
865 posts

Posted:
yea i know, im sad i could not be there, but i had an incredible time in brighton biggrin hug

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
me+aimz are in brighton this weekend biggrin

and yes pete, we purposefully wait til your not around, what was your excuse anyway?

StealthPetestranger
13 posts

Posted:
here you go Jen! : )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7456230@N08/435576059/sizes/l/

found it in Rick's flickr gallery : )

st3alth

lucidreamaBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
wavehello everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself! My name's Andy (I'm a mate of Jo Rhymes if any of ya's know her?), and I'm a complete n00b to this whole poi thing! I just got my first poi recently, and started to learn some of the basics. Lookin to meet up with other poi dudes n dudettes to start spinning with and learn from weavesmiley and to generally have an ace time ubbloco ubbrollsmile

Would it be cool if I joined ya's at any of your meets? I notice I just missed one on Sunday! Hope you guys had an awesome time!

I'm livin back at my folks in St. Helens at the mo while I'm at uni, but is well easy for me to get to Manchester.. I used live in Manchester so I know Castlefield, Platt Fields, and Whitworth park (used to live near the latter!) biggrin

live unlimited... love regardless!