bossySILVER Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone!

I've got my first fire performance coming up in about a months time at a school formal. I'll be outside doin my stuff as everyone is walking in.

So, what music would everyone recommend?

Its got to be a great tune to spin to, plus it needs to appeal to a bunch of 18 year-olds, something recognisable.

Thanks,
Ross smile

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Anything you like?

This has been discussed before. Also, are you going to be choreographing a routine, or just free spinning? If the latter, then definitely whatever you want should work. If a routine, a month might be a little tight for a first time attempt.

But like I said, this has been discussed before, so do a search. I think there was a thread called "What music do you spin to?" (or something like that) in the social forum at one point. Otherwise, there is some discussion about what not to choose in this one. Just pick something else. tongue2

And good luck.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Are you just going to be doing one burn, or several as performing outside while people are walking in sounds like there could be some time involved.

Since music is a very subjective issue, you might want to try the shotgun effect and mix several styles of music together in hopes that your choice(s) appeal to whoever is watching you at that particular moment.

Simon and Garfunkel...everyone in the whole world likes them even if they refuse to admit it.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Stout, hes going to get slaughtered if he performs to Simon and Garfunkel at a high school grad dance! Ack!

lol

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
What do 18 year olds like anyway?

I mean, that was 3 years ago, but my musical tastes have never been remotely mainstream, so....

I somehow doubt that "Banned From Argo", "Hope Eyrie" or my other filk would go down well with my old classmates. *snigger*

Nor would the "old" music like Dire Straits, Jethro Tull, Runrig and Billy Joel.

But seriously, stick to the classics. They are classics for a reason. Mozart or Beethoven are ok. I prefer Camille Saint-Saens though. I really should choreograph something to "Danse Macabre"....

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Maybe Simon and Garfunkel was a poor choice, I had "The Boxer" running through my head and was thinking of how to make a poi video based on that song ( damn "What's wrong with poi thread laugh3 wink ) I should have said The Beatles instead.

Everybody likes them. and those that don't, know to keep their mouths shut.

Try it. say it out loud.

The Beatles suck...go ahead, say it, the Beatles suck.

If you're in a public area, you may notice people slowly moving away from you with a look of disgust in their eyes, If you said it in a private area, your insides probably feel like they've turned to nothing but black bile, you feel like you've defiled yourself, and now have the certain knowledge that if there is a hell, there's a special spot there with your name on it.

Classical music would work too, but no matter what you pick, you can rest assured that there's always going to be a percentage of people who don't like your choice and IMO the best approach is to at least try to minimise that percentage.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Correcting the subject.

nothing more,

:R

hug

POI THEO(R)IST

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
I think some of the best music to spin to is drum and bass, or dub,it always apeals to people at parties some of the best drum and bass/dub around at the moment is by 'chase and status' eatern jam is a pretty cool track to do some technical spinning to, and when you want to go all out try 'smash T.V'. then of cause there's always prodigy thats all good, everyone likes prodigy just stay away from fire starter as it is a little cheesy to spin with fire to.

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
I don't like dancing to DnB at all. Like if it comes on at a rave I MIGHT get into but I don't like DnB. House and electro are classy but might not be good for fire stuff.

Flamenco esp. rodrigo y gabriela are rediculously, is really a solid option. Gogol Bordello is fun to spin to, the gypsy dancin thing just inspires movement as far as I'm concerned.
I like to avoid electronica, or at least traditional EDM music because it's so common and disposable even in the communities it comes from that I just lost all my inspiration in it.

One of the guys from playa del fuego said ours was the first non-electronica fire meet he'd ever been too.

Oh ambient music like Music For Airports, is fun for ME to spin too, dunno if it's fun to watch.

4LeafCloverSILVER Member
Never confined to a single belief
32 posts

Posted:
There are a few topics about this, and a lot of the information has been covered. However, some artists I enjoy that have good beats and variety to the music is:

Deep Forrest - They have a very tribal and nature like feel to their music, Yuta has used one of their songs (maybe more) before.

Yngwie Malmsteen - He is an amazing guitarist, sounds like Joe Satriani (?), and I enjoy a lot of his stuff for spinning.

Nine Inch Nails - Not their standard loud electronica feel, but softer stuff, like their Ghost Album.

Mogwai - They have little, if any lyrics in most of their songs, and I really like the feel and mood the music sets

That's all I got right now.

May the Centrifugal Force be with you.

::Ignorance Is Bliss

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Santana is decent as well.

Dire Straits can work, if you pick the right songs.

4LeafCloverSILVER Member
Never confined to a single belief
32 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonSantana is decent as well.

Dire Straits can work, if you pick the right songs.

I actually thought about mentioning Santana. Also, with the right amount of research there are many, many websites that have royalty free submitted music, which is all independent. And you can get some very neat and exotic tunes, as long as you mention the artist and give them credit for each public use.

May the Centrifugal Force be with you.

::Ignorance Is Bliss

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
One to try is www.archive.org , although I doubt they have much that would work, they have some decent stuff.

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
The A la Menthe by La Caution, brilliant song to spin to

(its the one from the laser scene of oceans 12)