Page: ......
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So, as has been pointed out in the "Is it quieter around here lately?" the boards are kinda dead.

Things really started to turn quiet around April/May of this year and I figured it was just part of the normal cycles that we see here of flurries of activity and then periods of less activity.

It's November and the trend continues. In Social Chat, only six posts were made over a period of four days. I haven't been posting much lately because there haven't been posts to respond to. In seven years as a HoP member, I have never seen anything like it.

Even worse, Josh and Kate were going to have a mini-Doof tomorrow night at their place in my honor and it appears that very few people will be coming. This disappoints me. It means that our community is collapsing and I can't figure out why this is happening.

But more important than the discussion of why is how to fix it. This community was an amazing, active, warm, loving family consisting of tens of thousands of spinners all over the world. I don't think the blame can be placed in the hands of any individual.

Did the community move to Facebook? If so, can we use that to our advantage? Is there something that we can do to make this forum more conducive to gatherings and socialization?

What are your ideas?

And please, if you know someone who has gone silent, encourage them to come back.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Ed, your mother is so fat, when Obi Wan saw it he said "That's no moon, that's yo' mumma!"

>_>

<_<

I like this game grin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
i hate you two mentions of the game in one day first on page 3 of the metro (bus newspaper) then this i cant take it lol...u all just lost it by the way.

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh stuff it... no

-Mike

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
When asking a serious question and getting nothing but joke or snide answers, what would keep a person coming back?-quote

.. about back in the day. I really miss talkin to all the people who were cool to me here,even when I was an a$hole, and taught me awsomemassivehyper new tricks and humility, made me laugh when life was censored... Like Bender/Dantana/Arashi/Nix/Rev/FnF/Pele/Cole etc and hundreds of others I only ever saw on videos grin THANKS YOU!

/me sits down, takes of hat. Taps it with a stick... 3 times, "avrakadavra"

Out hop lil rabbits and rainbows heart grouphug peace thankx

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted By: ElectricBlue
Originally Posted By: Noelski
If not for this forum, I would never come here.

Wait... Isn't that we are talking about? this forum is here if it is not what else is here?

lessona. gallery photos. a way to PM people. a shop.
stuff

Yes but this post is talking about the forum? no? i have not heard any mention of there being any problems with the shop.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Dragon7

/me sits down, takes of hat. Taps it with a stick... 3 times, "avrakadavra"

Have you ever read any Harry Potter? DON'T EVER SAY AVADA KEDAVRA WHILE HOLDING A WAND!!! eek

-Mike

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Its ok, Doc... its just a stick.

hug

Intinerantstranger
5 posts

Posted:
... it's never just a stick! treat every stick like a loaded wand!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_Sonits just a stick.

That's what she said... wink

-Mike

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
No no no... she said *twig*... :rollseyes: wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
i knew one person put a twig in his back pocket and bam well no more but for him lol wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MikefromGlosi knew one person put a twig in his back pocket and bam well no more but for him lol wink

OK, I know you're a Brit and so this may be challenging for you, but do you mind translating that into English? duck
EDITED_BY: Doc Lightning (1228517916)

-Mike

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
lol its a line from a harry potter book doc.....

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Yeah, but I bet J.K. Rowling used proper sentence structure and spelling... wink

Henry, your Mumma's so fat it felt like I was two-timing her. grin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MikefromGlosi hate you two mentions of the game in one day first on page 3 of the metro (bus newspaper) then this i cant take it lol...u all just lost it by the way.

FRD made everyone lose the game through the media of the metro??!! clap clap well done good sir!...now I've lost..

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Learning to Cook ... I have dysprixia not my fault lol i made a effort

10,530 posts

Posted:
So I can't help but feel that activity is picking up on HoP again. Which is obviously a good thing.

*thumbs up*

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Yay for lightning single-handedly saving HOP grin
hug

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Doc Lightning - applies the paddles and resuscitates HoP

He's my hero smile

Bring him boys for to entertain him!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: _Poiboy_Yay for lightning single-handedly saving HOP grin
hug

You're welcome

Originally Posted By: =Flashpoint=Doc Lightning - applies the paddles and resuscitates HoP

He's my hero smile

Bring him boys for to entertain him!

Poiboy had better be one of them!

-Mike

10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Learning_To_CookYeah, but I bet J.K. Rowling used proper sentence structure and spelling... wink

Henry, your Mumma's so fat it felt like I was two-timing her. grin

Bah. Totally missed this. Curse my bloody skim reading.

Oh yeah?

Well... I poked Yo Mumma and damn near lost a finger.

[/lame]

Keep on the good fight guys! grin

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Doc LightningSo, as has been pointed out in the "Is it quieter around here lately?" the boards are kinda dead.

Things really started to turn quiet around April/May of this year and I figured it was just part of the normal cycles that we see here of flurries of activity and then periods of less activity.

It's November and the trend continues. In Social Chat, only six posts were made over a period of four days. I haven't been posting much lately because there haven't been posts to respond to. In seven years as a HoP member, I have never seen anything like it.

Even worse, Josh and Kate were going to have a mini-Doof tomorrow night at their place in my honor and it appears that very few people will be coming. This disappoints me. It means that our community is collapsing and I can't figure out why this is happening.

But more important than the discussion of why is how to fix it. This community was an amazing, active, warm, loving family consisting of tens of thousands of spinners all over the world. I don't think the blame can be placed in the hands of any individual, be it NYC, FireTom, Malcolm, or myself.

Did the community move to Facebook? If so, can we use that to our advantage? Is there something that we can do to make this forum more conducive to gatherings and socialization?

In the mean time, I will ask people posting in this thread to please try to move your posts out into the Discussion forums. We need to jump-start those forums as a start.

Mayhaps you guys have created far to many OFFICIAL threads. Reality check here, a forum is for talking. If you want to talk about something that's been said before you shouldn't be pushed into a corner to bump a thread most people have left for dead. That's how forums die. People get sick of the same old thing and try to corral it. I say deal with answering the same question eighty times, I didn't come here to read about what a bunch of people posted x days ago, and I'll be damned if I do. People come to a forum to talk, so talk instead of redirecting everything to some ancient archived post.

Quit telling people to search the forum, talk to them. It's not about finding the information here, there are plenty of sites for that, it's about TALKING. Talking = Forum != I don't want to talk to you go search. Lame sauce.
EDITED_BY: doppelGanger (1231102930)

Human

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: doppelGanger
Quit telling people to search the forum, talk to them. It's not about finding the information here, there are plenty of sites for that, it's about TALKING. Talking = Forum != I don't want to talk to you go search. Lame sauce.

Thanks, Ganger. I, for one, agree with you. OK, there are certain topics that maybe should be averted by putting them at the top, rather than the current list of rules, like the music thread and the sparkley poi/colored flames.

However, we actually made a pact a while ago to avoid the word "official" in all threads because it was getting abused.

-Mike

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Fine_Rabid_Dog

heyyyy chilllll-dren, its THREE DAWG!!!!!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Long time ago, Spanner. Like '02

-Mike

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Was this pact in "The official "official is getting overused" thread" ???

hug

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr MajestikOriginally Posted By: Fine_Rabid_Dog

heyyyy chilllll-dren, its THREE DAWG!!!!!

Bahahaha, nuclear wasteland. smile

Human

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
To bring everyone up to speed as to why certain names have been brought up, I know almost nothing about it, but suffice to say, there is a history of dramatic incidents on this board. There are a lot of strong personalities here. And I'm one of them. I've also been involved in a few incidents and have been "talked to" by the mods. These things happen even in a healthy, vibrant community.

When these things happened, a lot of people, who were under the impression that HoP was somehow a magical, happy fairyland where nothing ever goes wrong, got rather jaded and left.

Nobody other than the mods needs to know any details about these incidents; I don't know them, either. But if some names get brought up, they are references to these sorts of incidents.

In this case, I think the issue is different. The issue is that people have simply stopped posting. It started last March or so and I honestly cannot identify any incident that triggered it. It was just a slow death sort of thing where over the next few months I began to notice that the entire Social forum would accumulate less than 10 posts in 2 days. And those would usually be in some completely inane thread.

Now, HoP goes through cycles and different times of year are busier than others, but I started to get worried when, come November, the trend had continued. I've never seen a lull so profound last eight whole months and I've been here since 2001.

So definitely the whole "do a search" mentality needs to get toned down. But I'm wondering what other sorts of outside-the-box thinking we can do here. We're all adults and it's our community. So let's work together like adults to save it. Because it once was a thriving happy place in spite of some bumps in the road, and I want to see it thrive again.

-Mike

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I blame this on the fact that I occasionally post a new thread, and since i'm not funny/thought-provoking/popular, it dies very quickly. I'm to blame for the death of HoP!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Indeed. It might well be time to grab the pitchforks and drive you outta the forums. tongue2

hug

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Page: ......