Forums > Social Chat > altered state (Take 2)

Login/Join to Participate

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
so now we have established people's viewpoints on the pros and cons of drug use, it's not necessary for those who are in the "con" category of opinions to *yet again* express their disdain at the indulgences related to the topic at hand. Please provide those willing to share their twirling-drug-experiences the freedom to do so without turning this thread into an ethical debate *yet again*....--------------------------------------------------------------Wow CRD - that's great that you found joy with your twirling on E. I love twirling fire under the influences of several drugs, but E is definitely my favourite - so intense on the senses yet so unified with the mind/body. I find immense clarity when twirling on E (unless it's around 7am and I'm wrecked), all my senses fuse together with everything around me - the accompanying music, the beat of my fire, the heat of my fire, the primal energy I expel...yummmm. I think that without the aid of E, my style would be much stiffer and inhibited, even when I'm straight.I used some Speed for the first time in several years last weekend and had a twirl with that. Although I felt I lacked my usual fluidity, my stamina was much greater and I was able to pull off more moves, faster and for longer than usual. I found myself using a lot more space than normal and really 'branched out' - the twirl was very physical.The following night I ate some hash chocolate which resulted in my being waaaaay stoned. At this point I experienced the best twirl I have ever had in my life, and I've been doing fire for longer than 4 years. I think that my mind and body remembered the extreme physicality of the previous evening's burn; that mixed with my usual fluidity and blended with the mental relaxation and ability to wholly focus on what I was doing enabled me to commit my whole being to the act of firedancing.It was exhilirating and has assisted me in finding the passion for firedancing that had been waning for some time now.joy [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">------------------[/image][This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 23 May 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Oh man... you're asking for it now... smileI got done with E and acid before I started twirling, so I cannot relate specific stories there, though I will say both increase my rhythm, confidence, strength, and willingness to experiment freely.If I am attempting to learn a new move, I will often take a tablet of pseudo-ephedrine, which is an over the counter energy booster that is quite a bit stronger than caffeine, but no where (no where) near as potent as meth (be VERY careful with that stuff FF, K?)and smoke herb. The herb makes things a great deal less frustrating and increases rhythm, while the pseudo-eph maintains stamina.Aside from that, I remain relatively sobre most of the time... spinning has become a drug in and of itself for me... Saturday I spun for six hours in the desert on four hours of sleep and no drugs at all...

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I won't take LSD, ecstasy or speed anytime in the near future. I binged too much for the past few years and now my stomach and mind are weakened from excessive usage of it. Guess I wasn't one of those trouble-free drug-using people. (its a bugger I didn't start twirling while I was on them earlier!)I love hearing people's stories about their twirling high experiences. Just like any other twirling experience too =)I love twirling while stoned as much as straight. It's nice sometimes to get very baked and pick up the poi all relaxed and buzzing. I've discovered a whole bunch of new moves this way. It's not that I suffer from a lack of creativity - but you get so swept up in the moment when you're high. Anyone who's done it a few times knows what I mean =)erghhh pseudo-epehedrine rinsed out teabag feeling mmm.. yes I am ragging on pseudo-epehedrine! =) There are natural herbal alternatibes that deliver a similar if not better kick e.g. high potency guarana etc. I don't use stimulants anymore but I have had a lot of experience.[This message has been edited by splat (edited 23 May 2001).]

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Don't take the brown acid Flash!!People are REALLY having bad trips man. Hey someone just had a baby, that's beautiful man.Well put. I had THE best poi session under the influence of E. I totally gave up on focusing on individual moves and just let it come out. I had complements even from Finn et al. Other than that I haven't ticked of acid yet. Speed too made me feel a little less 'connected' but yet coordination and speed (pun intended smile) was quite good.Used to do it wacked constantly but found that eventually I needed some sober experiences (both in life and twirling) and have since worked out a lot more moves and been more driven to perfect them.Love ya work well worded Flash grin

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Hehehe, well my favoured Es are yes indeed the ones that contain MDA and twirling when that hits ya for me is a near impossibility, i have trouble standing up without hugging someone let alone swinging 2 balls of fire round my head smileThough after the rush when i feel like dancing, thats when the poi comes in and find that i "dance like no ones watching"hehehe

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
MDMA Frenzie! MDA is a different kettle of fish altogether. smile

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Although I have rather little experience spinning while chemically enhanced, I have to say so far my fave is mushrooms. I did a good healthy dose of lsd while camping on the beach a few weeks ago and while it was a great trip, it was a little to much to be playing with fire. I did have a few nice sets while coming down, though. I haven't really played with E, mostly because E doesn't really agree with me. I need two hits to really get rolling, and $40 for a 4-6 hour trip just isn't worth it, especially with the truely terribly tuesday that follows.What really has surprised me, though, is pot. Normally, all I want to do it lay down and/or go to sleep after smoking. And smoking pot really does make me st00pid. It really surprised me when I discovered that I can stay awake and do some really hardcore spinning for hours after toking up.Now, I must say I am rather pleased that this thread has maintained the PLUR spirit so far. But I feel I should probably say a few words just in case. I've been taking psychedelics since before there was ever such a thing as a rave, and probably before some of you were even born. Yes, I have seen some bad things happen as a result of illicit substances. But they are *nothing* compared to what I have seen result from excessive alcohol consumption. Frankly, I am glad that some of you are so concerned about drug use, but taking an insulting or condescending approach is not the proper reaction. I too have been concerned about some of the things that I have read here, but I feel that taking a calm and reasonable approach will be far more effective in the long run. So to anyone there using or considering, play it safe and just say KNOW. uummmm-kay?-p.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
MDA is common in pills as well.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Finn: in locals anyways, im slowly unconfusing myself :Pi firstly in above message did typo cause if first came out as mdama or something :Pbut yeah!its all good!

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd write this cause everyone loves e for excellent experiences (I did in my great extended weekends and weekends on it)..I was reading a magazine the other day that described a recent study being done with patients with Alzeihmer's (sp?) disease and they were giving them certain amounts of MDMA and the MDMA was said to be helping them out of it and making their condition heal up a bit. (no not just while they were high on it.) I have also read a lot of studies that say MDMA causes Alzeihmer's in lab rats and cats and monkeys and stuff (umm either one or some or all of the above). Which gets me thinking that maybe MDMA is like a homeopathic remedy? If you take a remedy for something you don't have you start to exhibit the symptoms of what that remedy cures. Just like with other herbs and plants. So therefore my theory is if you took mdma excessive amounts for years you would probably develop that kind of deterioration of the brain.Thought someone might be interested cause I was. smile

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Went out last night after a nasty niggly day at work to spin out my frustrations. Took a nice reefer with me.First up it became entirely clear what one-handed butterflies are for smileBut more to the point, I went out about 7pm, and between the relaxation, the stamina-enhancement, the ability to shrug off mistakes without getting frustrated, and the heavy submersion in the music (Teenage Fanclub's Grand Prix album btw), I had a great time, got really creative, learned to link up a bunch of moves I'd never connected before, hybridised what I'd worked on in monday's Tai Chi class with what I was learning about spinning, watched a truly stunning crimson sunset across the water and finally went home very happy some time around 10 pm.mainly i had a major breakthrough in terms of flow.And that's not the sort of evening I've been lucky enough to have spinning straight. Full respect to those who do.Haven't done a trip since about 94 I reckon, occasional shrooms since, not an e-kid. Trips were the very best of all but although I wouldn't claim to have 'given up', it's been a long time since I felt the inclination. And Fire would definitely have to be a nono. Personally, that is.mikeyB

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
if anyone wants to hear an awesome comedian...Listen to Bill Hicks...he has a cd called "Relentless" He is very controversial, or was anyway. he died in i thik 91 of cancer...But neyway, he has a section about tripping and drugs that makes me cry because i am luaghing so hard. He starts talking about all thedrugs he took, and then they came out with those commercials"this is your brain, this is your brain on drugs"He goes...ok nowthat is a fucking egg. I see the skillet, and the stove, and i see the alcoholic talking to me, but that is definately a fucking egg, not a brain. Ive never ever ever..looked at an egg and thought it was a fucking brain....not once. Ive seen ufo's split the sky as a sheet, but never, ever ever in my life have i looked at an egg, and thought it was afucking brain. Ok maybe i wasnt getting good shit. I wasfeeling cheated.""hey where's the shit that makes eggs look like brains"". I have seen seven orbs of light, decend upon me and take abord their ship, explain to me telepathically that we are all one concesness, and that i will never die, but never in my life have i ever ever never! looked at an egg and thought it was a fucking brain. I see the lights around the egg, i see the mushroom growing in the egg, i see the hobbit eating the egg, and hes on the back of a unicorn, but godanmmit, that is a fucking egg!!!"I luagh while typing it...jesus he is funny. i "highly" reccomend picking up a copy.. Bill HicksSuper'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Bill Hicks is awesome. It was a real shock to me to see that an American stand up comedian could be so subversive and controversial. And his piece about drugs is hilarious and so true too.Here's a good page for him, i believe you can see/hear some of his stuff as well as order it:https://www.sacredcowproductions.com/hicks/index.htmlEnjoy!Nomad

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Spalt...First: Heheheheheh grinRinsed out teabag feeling... I couldna' have thought of a better way to put it myself...Second: The stuff I've been taking is one part mu huong, two parts caffeine...Are you in the states? Can you get guarana at an average health food/supplement store?Thanks!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
drug twirling experiences?for my actual twirling my fave is dope - in the form of a cookie (or chocolate) followed by a bong.for the experience I like acid...not too much cuz then it all gets a bit intense and my moves get a bit restricted.anything else? not really.Still think that the best twirling drug for me is loud psy-trance through a clear system...that is honestly what gives me the biggest rush...the music I love, twirling with friends smile (oh - and with the morning sunlight!)Josh

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
splat,Right on about "if you took mdma excessive amounts for years you would probably develop that kind of deterioration of the brain".MDMA primarly causes peaks in brain serotonin, giving the high. Somewhere along the process though, it also damages sertonin-producing neurons, giving reduced levels of serotonin anywhere from months to years later. One of the of the biological symptoms of Alzhiemer's disease is - you guessed it - reduced levels of serotonin production.And yep, long-term users of MDMA (50+ pills) do exhibit the some of the Alzhiemer's symptoms, such as poor memory.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I just started spinning a couple days ago, and the first time I did it it was on E. We were camping and some girls came over to our site to hang out with us. We had already done the E at this time. They weren't there for long when one of them pulled out their flaming poi. It was a total surprise and one of the neatest things I had ever seen. I had to try it.I asked if I could try one, she had no problem so I took one down to the near-by river and began spinning. Nothing to crazy I guess, kinda doing nun-chuck type moves with it. But I was hooked. I have just made my own set and can't get enough of it. I don't do E very often at all, but that was certainly the best time I had ever had on it.Happy Spinning!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Josh, I'm with you on the music thing as being a great natural high.I was having a debate with a guy from work about trance (he likes hip-hop). I tried to explain how trance music felt, when music kept building until you felt like your heart is going to explode and when the music peaks your heart just fills with joy.He looked at me strangely and asked me if I took drugs (very taboo in Japan, although it is perfectly acceptable to get drunk enough to require your stomach being pumped)I was offended, and remarked that you do not need to take any mood enhancer to be caught in the music.....but it does help!Frankly I think it is strange for someone who listens to music with lyrics like "my mothers a whore, my sista even more, put a gun in their mouths and they loved it, bit@hes' (Actually, I could be quite good at this bad lyrics lark!!) to turn around and assume someone who loves 'hippy' music takes drugs.Of course I probably would if they were available.I adore and love hash and can't wait to go home where it is in plentiful supply. Sigh (visions of a big spliff) So I have never tried poi while stoned.I have played with my poi while on mushies at a dance party but afterwards my hands kept doing poi moves all night when I was dancing, although I had glowsticks, so perhaps I didn't look too strange.Another searingly hot day as my mind meanders once again....------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats