Page:
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
And it wasn't even my free copy, it were somebody elses...

If you like reading other peoples opinions read on: (Or if I know you, I'll say something about you in this, if I don't more than likely I won't.)

Firstly, again, the quality of all the videos improved DRAMATICALLY over last years. There was no really truly bad stuff this time.

Couple of things I noticed immediately:

Sage: ZOMG, if there had been a pro camera crew there it would have super super super awesome. That camera dude was okay, but with a better camera, and more angles would really have done sage's performance justice. I mean, making fire orb interesting for like 4 minutes? Who would have thought that was possible!?!? Good dancing, good job!

Clure: Why is your camera sooooo grainy! ARGH! Nice use of guitar friend. I liked the close up of his face. The black between the fan cuts was perhaps a tad too long thou... Good to see some irish waterfalls!

What's with the DVD case saying Northern Ireland for one entry and Ireland, UK for another? Northern Ireland is part of the UK, Southern Ireland / the Republic, isn't. So that's the same thing? Plus the 2nd to last entry, from the US isn't listed on the back of the case which was confusing, since I think all the rest were...

Woolsey: Look at the camera more I think. Remember flirt with the camera! Also, really nice sequences that you culd tell you had worked on, with some really nice arm movement and gracefully dance ness. Hmmmmm.

FireTribe: You're camera angle almost crossed the invisible line. Which makes the 90 degree cut disorientating. Isometric angles / 45 degrees from front on, are different enough, and show the wheel plane.

Bluecat: Too many fades, not enough 'speed' changes in the spinning on the editing I think maybe. The scenery is almost better than the watching of the spinning. Over use of the silouette and the funny hats. Good effort for juggling in winter in scotland in loads of clothes thou.

Shilly Shally: Good use of close ups. Shame it's just from a gig, would have liked to see more of your crazy personality chris, and more dance stuff from you guys, cos I know you're awesome. Two very different camera shots as well, one very orange and the other a higher shot showing the audience in front. The orange one is rather nice, but the other is not so well done. The light isn't so good in that one.

Not many stories this time around I seem to recall.

Unhurried: EXPLORATORIUM! Woohoo! errrrr, nice staff stuff, good movement as every. By the end thou, I would have like to see you hurry up. Some differences in the intesity of your movement would have been nice. There were some really beautifully graceful bits in there thou... Hmmmmmmm.

Sandy: Juggle wibbling? Oh dear. Have you taken up WoW as well? Don't you have better things to do with your time? ;P
Er yeah, nice video, liked the previous location under the M32 better, had more contact staff in it too. What can I say? I'm biased. I could see the influence of the india (was it india?) trip.

Noel: Er, you look a bit like a school teacher... tongue2 Some geeky ass poi in there, and some good looking backgrounds... A bit frantic with the poi at the end thou....

Durbs: YEAH! Good effort! I bit far from the camera occassionally, and like you'd just gone out to the forest near your house with a camera and a tripod.... Swwweeeeettttt footwork, some really well integrated with the poi movements. You're trying to be the whipcatch king huh? Is that like the milky bar kid but different? "Whip Catches are on me!" Er, yeah, really liked it. Could have done with you doing every awesome whip catch you know, in a row, with incredible transitions in a single shot... but well... that'll be next year huh? wink

Firegroove: Wooooooo, I was at that film shoot! grin gotta love lester and jade's routine and the fire swords... grin Love you guys.

Michael: Go SOX! Was this filmed before or after firedrums?

Er... yeah, nicer DVD this time too. I liked the solarised slowmo title sequences. Of course the question is: Whose silouettes are on the cover? And the real question, why is the earth pictured on the cover centered on america? here's me thinking HOP was based in NZ? grin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
grin

Glad you liked the vid...

And Will is glad you liked his track - he says thank you smile

x

PS: and durbin, why so eager to know? think you won, huh?! tongue2

heheheheh... hope so!
EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1228869796)

Getting to the other side smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Not so much eager as curious wink

I liked the track too - is that Will's normal stuff or something specially created?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yeah, i want to know who durbin beat into second place!

tongue2

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DarkenAvatar of the Dancing Fire
59 posts

Posted:
Im sorry, ive been away for a bit, and i havent kept up with all of this. Is it too late to enter a video for the dvd? Cause the contest is still up.

I might just be making some nooby mistake, so be kind if im being stupid.

But weve been doing very serious filming, and i soooo want to enter.

Our most recent exploit was a poi shoot in the local mall, we gathered crowds and everything.

"if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all."

-Golden Rule

"F*ck you. I spin fire."

-Darkens 3rd law

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
Sorry dude the DVD is already out and kickass
peoples are just waiting for judgment

but hey it just gives you more time to make a really kickass entry for next year.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Indeed - the entry for CoL 2009 is already up grin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DarkenAvatar of the Dancing Fire
59 posts

Posted:
Burnage to the hardcore.

See what happens when im without interweb for extended periods?

xD

Oh well, i will pour a whole ton of extra work into my filming in the hopes of entering next year.

"if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all."

-Golden Rule

"F*ck you. I spin fire."

-Darkens 3rd law

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
I think they've decided that noone wins this year, as giving any sort of prize to someone like durbs is considered to be against the geneva convention.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Wouldnt it be supporting terrorism, bluecat? I've seen Durbs' videos after all. tongue2

hug

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hey - terrorists need supporting too!

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
oui. j'ai besoin de gagner $2000 pour acheter un nouveau ak-47 grin

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well I did a days work at a juggling shop and now have a copy of COL8 but been too busy to watch it!
Sooon or after Woodford or something....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
so, without intending to sound desperate (but probably failing tongue2 ), when are we likely to hear? should we be revising our 'expecting results of judges deliberations in november' to 2009? I don't mind waiting grin but some info'd be nice.

off for a computer free christmas in a couple of days :o) aaaah

smiles
Rob

KneelSILVER Member
journeyman
80 posts

Posted:
nice spinning all around,i especially loved nick's performance though.has to go down in my books as one of the best fire spins ive ever seen.

also,where or when are the results for the competition announced?

-Niall-

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
:ditto:

*twiddles thumbs*

wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Great grin

Thanks
x

Getting to the other side smile

KneelSILVER Member
journeyman
80 posts

Posted:
hmm,seems i was so cleverly on another page when i asked my question and didnt realize that bluecat already asked....i love being really intelligent so i do tongue2

..i think i shud win though for my powerful intellectual skills of pretending to enter a video but not really....i think my pretend video was too good tongue2 (am i convincing anybody here???......didnt think so....im gona crawl back into my hole...)lol

good luck to everybody anyway,i hope to have a video entered in 2010 grin

-Niall-

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Confusion! Ok, so I haven't seen it yet, but... I've seen a few reviews in this thread of my and Brad's entry yet we're not listed among those on the DVD...

Can someone clear this up for me?

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
What was the name of your 'piece'? That's what's listed on the DVD,not the names of the people involved. SO unless we know your piece was called Pali Dreams or SyndhroDudes in Heaven or Me in Post-Industrial Wonderland or whatever, there's not much way to know/help

Please someone correct me if I'm being obtuse and the people's names really are listed somewhere....
CHeers
Gabe

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Apologies! However, being that I've not yet seen the DVD, it would have taken some act of paranormal psychic ability for me to know this thing that you have just so kindly told me. :-p

Act name: Puppeteer's Dream

Gratzi!

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Oh, my! Now things have definitely gone wonky -- this is why I normally don't talk :x

Please disregard my earlier comments and sorry for the trouble... I'll scrape up a copy of the DVD and have a looksie for meself grin

Your work is fantastic and amazing, Malcolm, and I'm sure we all appreciate your love of trees and attentiveness to our tendency to alter identities.

<3

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MalcolmAs previously explained because of so many credits and contact details we refer to the www.homeofpoi.com/col2008

Oops
Totally my bad. Silly me and my lousy eyesight. Didn't see the little words at the bottom of the cover.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
I've been told that it's tagged on at the end of the Fiammella Fire Duo chapter, and it doesn't have its own chapter. But since I don't have the video, I can't confirm that.

[edit] Could someone that has it please take a looksee? I'll make cupcakes wink smile
EDITED_BY: fNi (1232432754)

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
Yes, that text is at the end of the DVD. This is before it. I've been described some of the details [via PM], and they correspond exactly. What I'm asking is for someone to check their actual video against the list on www.homeofpoi.com/col2008 and we can clear this up.

Originally Posted By: meg
What's with the DVD case saying Northern Ireland for one entry and Ireland, UK for another? Northern Ireland is part of the UK, Southern Ireland / the Republic, isn't. So that's the same thing? Plus the 2nd to last entry, from the US isn't listed on the back of the case which was confusing, since I think all the rest were...

[edit & addquote] In no way misunderstand this to mean that I don't appreciate all the hard work of the HoP team to put this wonderful DVD together.
EDITED_BY: fNi (1232488956)

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

poifun_academyauntyyo@poifun.sa
4 posts

Posted:
please can i crash this topis new user sorry i am from rsa and would like to find out more about competitions and championships can you help me get some direction

setting south africa alight for the last 5 years

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
HI there poifun-academy. Welcome to HoP.
(Just a pointer though... good idea to take your email address out from your name box- might attract spammers.)

Are you looking for live competitions? Personally I don't know of many, as the general ethos of the poi community as I've seen it tends to be more about skill sharing and having fun without competition. The topic has been raised here a few times, having cometitive leagues and so on, but it never seems to get very far.

People have raised objections about the codification and ranking that would be involved, and the notion that 'winning' such a thing would be meaningful, given that so many poiple would not get involved. So saying someone was the 'champion' of Europe or whatever would not be respected, and would just be divisive to the community.

There are heaps of comps for baton twirlers though, you might get some clues from that world. And I did hear some rumours of glowstring 'battles' though that was from the USA and seemed related to the hiphop battle approach.

Having said that, there is one little comp I know about...a firedance comp held on the Gold Coast, Qld, Australia once a year, sponsored by a local shop (Threeworlds).
I've been a judge for that one a few times, so I know the criteria include choreo, presentation and safety as well as technical skill. There was a similar one in Cairns a few years ago too. One thing about comps with financial prizes is that the money has to come from somewhere, so the ones I have known are sponsored by shops.

HoP runs COL (Circles of light) as a video competition, so its about how well the vid is presenting the art, not just technicals.

There are heaps of comps for baton twirlers though, you might get some clues from that world. And I did hear some rumours of glowstring 'battles' though that was from the USA and seemed related to the hiphop battle approach.

Are you looking to run one, or enter one?

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
there's also the Japanese Fire Festival Fire Contest.. it's amazing grin
lots of great spinners competing in a very constructive and beautiful way
www.firefestival.jp

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Wow - these COL videos are just getting better and better - both in the quality of the vids, and in the music!

congrats to all the Winners - I'm not surprised at the placings, although I think there are some other honourable mentions that could fit in there - I'll post again with some of these after I watch the video again.

Durbs you fatty - well done! smile

Well done Malcolm for continuing to provide one of the only serious fire comps with a global reach, and outstanding diversity.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Page: