Forums > Help! > getting nextgen consoles online

Login/Join to Participate

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Hey guys.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I did a search, and didn't find much.

So, my girlfriend just got a ps3 (so jealous), and I'm trying to figure out how to hook it to online.

One of her friends has a 360 and he's got it online by changing his MAC address on the console to match his computer. He then unplugs his computer from the hole in the wall, and plugs his xbox in.

This is a pretty nifty solution, but it has its drawbacks. I have no idea how to change a PS3 MAC address, and my girlfriend wants to be able to use her PC for internet whilst she's playing.

Our interent here is kind of bogus 'cos you can only have one machine hooked up to the the internet, hence having the matching MAC addresses.

So I have a few questions.

The most cost effective way I can think of is getting one of these. I'd plug that into the pc, have the ethernet wire plugged into the pc, aswell as the ps3. Then I'd enable windows to share the internet with other devices.

Would that work?

If not, would a router or an ethernet switch work, keeping in mind the whole single mac address shenanigans?

Any help would be much appreciated! Cheers smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
All right, you can solve this lie this:

-Ethernet RJ-25 cable has 8 pin, but uses olny 4, the other
are for PoE of FastEthernet for example.

-Tu use passive hub wiring, you need to find 4 pins
(1 straight pair and 1 crossed pair, usually
WHITE ORRANGE + ORANGE, WHITE GREEN + GREEN)

to be splitted. Othewise using 8 pin cables
for all link may caouse colision.

Better dissassemble the splitter to look
carefully on the wiring.

-The cabling should look like this:
Code:
LAN
/
/
WAN -8 - [S]
\
\
LAN

-You also need the other side of splitter,
to connect 1 RJ-45 cable!

Non-Https Image Link

-Spoofing MAC address on PC is easier.

(via registry entry NetworkAddress to you
interface card), you may sniff this from
PS3 and spoof it on PC.

----------------

Also you may need crimping
and stripping pliers.

for cabling,

:R

hug

POI THEO(R)IST

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
I'd say go with a router, generally easier to set up, although Richie (as usual) is completely right. There are plenty on the market.

Depending on your pc set up too, if you have a spare ethernet port on your computer, you can plug your ps3 into one of them, and bridge the connections. I use this exact setup for my Xbox 360, as I have my media center pc in my room connected to the router wirelessly, and my Xbox wired into my pc. Advantages are, I only need 1 wireless adapter (the one on my PC, the Xbox official one costs 60 quid, grrr), and video and music streaming between my pc and xbox is much more robust. If you only have 1 ethernet socket, you can pick up a cheapo network card for next to nothing these days.

To bridge the connections, simply go to "Manage Network connecitons", and select the 2 you want to bridge, then right click and choose Bridge. It worked almost immediately on mine...
Hope that helps! smile

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

10,530 posts

Posted:
Cheers guys.

Richee: Thanks for trying man. Looks like Sambo got what you were going on about, but its gone totally over my head. Damn my technological ineptness. Thanks for the effort anyway smile

Sambo: Yeah, plugging it into the pc is the first thing I'm gonna try. Unfortunatly, the pc only has one port so I'm buying a thingy of the net that splits the one port into two.

I already heard about the sharing internet, and its good to know it works with you. But I'm unsure if it will work here 'cos this uni is tight with their internet... fingers crossed!

I don't want to go with a router 'cos they tend to be expensive and nobody seems to sell wired ones any more. Stupid wireless. *thumbs down*

Cheers for the help guys. I'll let you know how it goes when I get all the stuff I need.

-edit-

Well, that did a whole lot of nothing. The little gizo I got that converts one ethernet port into two is pretty much useless. As soon as I plug both the internet and the PS3 into the dual port, the internet drops out. Humbug.

What also sucks is that having checked my internet connection in control panel, there is no option anywhere, even on the advanced tab, to share the network.

God I need more knowlege!

Props and cookies to the legend that sorts us out ^_^
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1227035218)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
To get internet going through your pc to the ps3, you need 2 ethernet ports, hence another ethernet card. Just splitting the output of 1 won't work, as you saw, because the pc needs to recognize that there are 2 connections, and with those splitters, it doesn't. It just sees 1 connection, which you can then route in 2 directions. not a lot of use.

If you can get a spare ethernet card, you're laughing... and as far as the uni goes, chances are it will work, as if you have the 2 connections bridged, what you're essentially doing is creating a new connection that has it's own ip address etc, that includes both of the other ones, so the uni won't know there's 2 devices on it. Hopefully...

BTW, Richies solution is much cheaper, basically you're splitting the internet signal down 2 cables with some clever wiring which takes advantage of the fact that only about 1/2 of an ethernet cable is actually used for internet. I don't think your uni would like you playing with their wiring too much though...

EDITED_BY: Sambo_Flux (1227038718)

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

10,530 posts

Posted:
Bah! Curesed technology!

I dpn't know much about installing new cards and motherboards and whatnot, so I don't think getting another card is an option. That probably goes for Richee's method as well, seeing as whilst I'm geeky, I'm not hardcore frown

But!

I have found that whilst I can't change the PS3's MAC, I can change the computer's MAC through spoofing. My plan is to call the ISP guys tomorrow and say I want to change my PC and need to change my registered MAC to the new one. Then I spoof the computer's MAC to the PS3s and poof! It should work, right?

I guess that means we won't be able to have the PC and PS3 online at the same time, but I don't want to fork out for a router, and neither does my girlfriend, and this is the cheapest option available.

But still, online PS3! Woooo!

-edit- Here's the software I'm going to be using: https://www.gorlani.com/publicprj/macmakeup/macmakeup.asp
I can't be arsed doing it manually.
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1227041434)

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Have you tried hitting it with a stick really really hard?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Oh and henry, I know you don't want to fork out for a router, but can I ask, how does your computer get to the net? I take it you have a broadband modem so every time you get on the web you click a connect button or something?

This a really cheap router https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DIR-100-E...8338&sr=8-4
and it isnt wireless.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

10,530 posts

Posted:
Will:

The setup here in Halls is pretty lame. When we got here, we got an ethernet cable and a cd. You plug the ethernet cable into your computer and into this hole in the wall. Run the CD, enter your payment details and bamf, internet for a year.

No router, no nothing. Its nice and simple, but problematic if you actually want to do stuff that's cool on the internet.

And that router... whilst it is the cheapest I've seen in a while, purchasing it would leave me with only 3 quid left of my weekly food budget frown

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Ah i forgot you were at Uni, well wish you all the best with it!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
dude.

you're a student.

Find a computer sciences geek to sort it out for you, like the rest of the students in the world!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Look_This_Changesdude.

you're a student.

Find a computer sciences geek to sort it out for you, like the rest of the students in the world!

Problem is, other than my flatmate Dan, I'm the go to guy for all things geeky. I'm pretty sure I've got this nailed now, so I'll let you know how it goes after I try it out. x

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
FRD I love your dancing dude avatar. Phwoar !! Tell me that's you!!!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
dude - a network switch is all you need...
I've got 2 of these in my house
netgear network switch from dabs.com

Take a network cable from the wall to the switch then plug everything else into the other ports in the switch.

No hassle - no stress - no editing anything.

dabs even do an own brand one for about 7 quid.

any questions feel free to message me.

grin
EDITED_BY: Seye (1227395566)

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
All of the network switches on dabs.com
network switches in google shops for under a tenner
smile

10,530 posts

Posted:
Seye: Rargh! if only you were around earlier before I forked out the five quid for that poxy peice of crap! Ah well. definatly looks worth a look to pick up later. But untill I can afford it, I'm going to go with the MAC spoofing.

Newgabe: Alas, tis not me. Tis the legendary Rick Astley grin

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
FRD: One thing you might want to check is your university's policy on multiple connections to the same port.

I know here it is not allowed and you will be cut off if you do. *shrug*

Also depends how clued up yout IT dept is. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Fine_Rabid_DogSeye: Rargh! if only you were around earlier before I forked out the five quid for that poxy peice of crap! Ah well. definatly looks worth a look to pick up later. But untill I can afford it, I'm going to go with the MAC spoofing.
Sorry dude, it was a bit of a late reply. When you get round to it its a quick easy solution though.

I still dont think I've met you in person yet. I'm not sure how?

10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonFRD: One thing you might want to check is your university's policy on multiple connections to the same port.

I know here it is not allowed and you will be cut off if you do. *shrug*

Also depends how clued up yout IT dept is. tongue2

My mate's got his xbox set up to have the same MAC address as his pc, and he switches the cable round... he hasn't been busted yet. As far as I'm aware, if the MAC address is the same, the won't be able to tell? Or prehaps you could prove me wrong?

Seye: Nope, don't think we have met. I've hardly gone to any gatherings though. Not for ages. I'm hardly a spinner any more frown

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I should amend that to "if they catch you" I guess. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

10,530 posts

Posted:
*bump*

So I tried the spoofing thing, and it was a complete success.

BOOYA! grin