Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Major bummer

Sucks man. Big fan of his work...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I just saw this!

I'm so bummed.
While I didn't love everything he ever wrote, the man was still quite the story spinner and really a visionary within the realms he created and I think this is a tremendous loss to not only the literary communities but also the entertainment industry concidering how many of his books and stories made it to movie form.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
What a drag

I'd put him on my list of favourite authors.

The Andromeda Strain was the first ( and only ) novel I sat down with and read straight through.

cry

10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Stout
The Andromeda Strain was the first ( and only ) novel I sat down with and read straight through.

cry

Made a damn fine miniseries, too.

-edit-

Just found this too.

He rocked! I had no idea he was behind E.R. What a legend!
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1226077677)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

railspinnerjourneyman
99 posts

Posted:
I was a big fan. One of the best main stream sci fi authors of our time I think. I didn't like all of his books, like jurasic park seemed like it was intended to be turned into a screen play. But can't blame a guy for wanting to make a lot of money.

He was a good author, he will be missed, their isn't many good sci fi writters anymore.

The less people know the more they believe

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Would argue the last part of your post. That about there not being many good SF authors.

Can think of a few off-hand. Dave Freer is excellent. Eric Flint is pretty decent. Alan Dean Foster is good (mostly in the same universe though). Many more that I do not know. Books in general are a very opaque market. How many people will try reading a completely unknown author without a recommendation from a friend? Very few that I know. Like I say, finding the good stuff is hard, Sturgeon's Law is appropriate here....

Never really liked Crichton's work myself, did not find it believable enough somehow.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: aston
Never really liked Crichton's work myself, did not find it believable enough somehow.

Hmmm... that's interesting... I always found his work to be more believable than most sci-fi work. Mostly because he never really pushed his stories much beyond Earth or the near future...

But each to their own, I guess. smile