Forums > Help! > New web site for Valura

Login/Join to Participate

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Hey guys

I am writing this as an appeal as I have no freaking clue as to where to start...

I want to get somebody to design a webpage for me as I have to get myself out there a bit.

I know such things cost money, and I have really no idea what would be a fair amount to expect to pay, as I want a website that is professinal, something clean and dramatic and easy to navigate. Not a cheeseland with sparkling freaking angel jpegs and loaded with quizz links and dodgey massage palour ads.

FAIL

WIN!!

I believe that you guys are some of the smartest people around for all stuff webby and tecchy so what do you guys suggest I ask someone when Im looking to hire them for this type of thing?

ohhh any help is so grately appreciated cause Im feeling waaayyyyy outta my depth.

Thanks lil chickens!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hi Valura..

I'm not involved in web design, but the number one concern I hear from people who've gone out and had websites built for their business is being able to make changes to the site yourself.

You don't want to have to be calling up web designer guy whenever you have an update so finding someone who'll not only subscribe to your win/fail design vision but also equip you with the tools to manage your site yourself is important.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Using a good CMS (Content Management System) can make things a lot easier as well.

I have used e-107 in the past, but am currently using Joomla! on my own site.

Both are pretty good.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I'd recommend a good CMS too. Which one you pick is not too important so go with the one the person who will develop your site is most familiar with. Then you can pretty much manage everything yourself from that point.

I'd offer to do the work for you but I'm swamped with work and performance duties for the next month or so. If you still need work doing at that point though I'd be happy to help out smile

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Valura, do you know Josie? staff and poi friend from Melbourne.. she has just moved to Brisbane and is a fully pro website designer. Just started a proper webjob part time.. but maybe she can help you.. we had a whole chat about plain language/easy navigate sites last night at Juggle jam smile
Ya shoulda been there wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblove Joomla grin

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I heard that Joomla makes one quite good in bed.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I have heard this also. I am unsure about it's accuracy though, but think it may not be too far off.

Valura: I have been thinking about it and really think that a CMS is the way to go. Once the actual design is in place, adding and removing info on the site, adding new pages, changing menus and so forth is pretty straightforward.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

6,978 posts

Posted:
it's a fundamental strategy - you need to devote more time in content management and less time on admin/development, so a CMS sets a system in place that hopefully has an admin workflow intuitive enough that your time spent creating stuff is maximised.

hence it makes u better in bed.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
*huge grins*

ok so Im really not so techhy so this is what Im hearing you say...

Content management is important...I want something I am able to work on and change myself instead of becoming trapped into having to hire someone to make changes...

Bender and Youcoughed also Aston? thanks so much...I have copied down what you have written and will show it to the person I decide on cause I have NO idea what you were on about but Im sure its right...cause you all know your stuff...

Gabe sweetie... sounds awesome I shall make the effort on monday to come into the city and have a chat...
You guys rock.. thanks!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah i use a CMS on https://www.spinferno.com/
- forgetting the complexity of initual setup for a moment, the next most importante workflow you will be spending your time on will be each article update - on spinferno i just log in, type out an article and press publish. you can do it all online.
without a management system, you need to get your hands dirty on a technical level, moving code, moving images, etc. the benefit of a CMS is that it manages that stuff behind the scenes for you, leaving you with more time to better polish your content or in my case try out pretty dresses.

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
OUr web designer lives North Coast NSW (just north of Byron) and made a great backend for our site so that we can change *everything*. She deals with all the registration stuff and has made our lives infinitely easier. She's really nice and makes sure you're happy...

Jasmine Fraser www.slipstreammedia.com.au

tell her Dave from FlameOz sent ya

xdave

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
You might wanna put a word in to mr Pogo...he's been a programmer for about 15 yrs, now...and he should, at least, be able to give you some advice...even if he is of that rare breed called a 'technophobic computer programmer'...*giggle*

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin