Page:
Lextalionisstranger
12 posts

Posted:
Hi, I recently moved to Sydney from America and I know that nunchucks are illegal in Australia, but I know wood nunchucks can still be bought in Sydney...somewhere. My friend's brother has a pair that he bought.

Any ideas where I'd be able to buy some nunchucks? I'm thinking maybe at some shady Asian stores or something...

Fruitbasket#1 Bender Fan :D
133 posts

Posted:
Hmm.. How illegal are they in Australia?

Because if there being sold in Australia i don't think there that illegal then.

ANGER IS A GIFT.You have the right to demand better!

Originally Posted By: Mr Majestikhear the news about the guy in adelaide on the weekend who walked stilts 20m high? broke the world record by taking four steps.

Lextalionisstranger
12 posts

Posted:
It's illegal to own them. basically they can't exist. but they're sold some how.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I really hope that not all shady stores Asian, mate.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Lextalionisstranger
12 posts

Posted:
Ofcourse not. I just meant some place that sells crappy novelty/fantasy weapons. most of them in the US are asian "dollar" stores.

Lauren_EleanorFirebender In-Training
1 post

Posted:
Originally Posted By: benderI really hope that not all shady stores Asian, mate.

I happen to know of an asian supermarket in Queensland that's illegally selling fireworks though....

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
https://www.jugglingwithatwist.com/nunchaku_video_laws.html

This page has some information. The gist is that you're only allowed to own them if you're an accredited martial artist it seems...

133 posts

Posted:
Maybe you can order them from the internet. I mean there has too be some way of getting them. If they sell them in Australia, even in shady stores, there must be some limits on them.

But if you ever get your hands on a set of Nunchucks, There really fun grin

Originally Posted By: Mr Majestikhear the news about the guy in adelaide on the weekend who walked stilts 20m high? broke the world record by taking four steps.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
err martial arts shops sell them, but its illegal to have them if you aren't a martial artist or some such ting.

so...just walk into a martial arts shop and buy some practise ones...easy!

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Hmm so what does this mean for the legality of stores selling glow nunchucks?

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

133 posts

Posted:
How would you prove too them that your a martial artist or using them for the martial arts?

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
"Nunchaku are illegal but if you are Accredited with the Martial Arts Association and have an Instructors licence u are legally allowed to have them but u must store and transport them in a locked container."

Again, from that site I posted a link to wink

Also, if you're interested in nunchaku I'd recommend checking out this forum https://www.freestyleforum.net

133 posts

Posted:
Haha, That sites my Nunchuck Bible.

Its so strange that peaces of wood are extremely illegal in some places.

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Ok, please everyone ignore the above information!

If you want to know something like this then actually go find the LAW!!

And Lextalionis, I thought you'd know that seeing as I sent you an email saying such...

Ok,
In WA, these (nunchucks) are a controlled weapon but since I use them for work and entertainment purposes, I am allow to possess and carry them.

South Australian law is...
"Exempt persons include those who reasonably require prohibited weapons( nunchucks are prohibited in S.A.) :

* In the course of business or employment (this does not cover manufacturers and dealers)
* For a lawful and recognised form of recreation or sport.
* For the purposes of providing a lawful entertainment for others."

Recently I travelled from WA to SA for Common Ground. I researched the law there and sent this email to the SA police...

"Hello, my name is Natalie O'Halloran.
I live in Western Australia and am part of a fire performance troupe. One of my 'toys' that I use are fire twirlers, which can be considered to be nunchucks. In WA, these are a controlled weapon but since I use them for work and entertainment purposes, I am allow to possess and carry them.
I am travelling to Adelaide for October 3rd-6th for a fire dancing conference. I have researched on your website and seen that nunchucks in SA are a prohibited weapon.

(I included the above info here)

I would consider my use to be covered by these categories.

I am just making sure that I'm not bringing something over which will get confiscated. Please confirm this for me.

Regards,
Natalie O'Halloran
Fire 'n' Motion

ANd their reply....

Natalie,
I agree with your interpretation of our legislation. The possession and use of the items if they were to be considered as nunchucks, would be exempt under the provisions you mention provided they were being used in that manner.

Regards

Sgt. Phil Kilford
Adjudication Section, Firearms Branch (130)
South Australia Police
30 Flinders Street
ADELAIDE SA 5000
T 08 8204 2495 F 08 8204 2214 M
E Phil.Kilford@police.sa.gov.au
W www.police.sa.gov.au
SOUTH AUSTRALIA POLICE
KEEPING SA SAFE

So in summary.

1. Nunchucks are not illegal!! they may be controlled or prohibited or called another name, but illegal doesn't cover it.
2. Each state has it's own laws about who may hold them.
3. It's REALLY easy to find this information!!! It's usually law.state.gov.au or something like that and then you search for weapons.

Please stop making broad statements when you don't know.
And if you want to know something, then why not look at the ORIGINAL site rather than googling and reading other people's opinions.

In response to the original question, nunchucks can be found at any good martial arts store.

Lextalionisstranger
12 posts

Posted:
Hey Natasqi, yeah I remember what you told me about them.

It's just that while homemade nunchucks can be called fire twirlers, the wood kind with the ball bearing chain are obvious to police real nunchucks and not fire twirlers.

So are you saying the "profesional" type wood nunchucks are sold at martial arts stores?

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Home made nunchucks, whatever they're made out of.. plastic, wood, metal.. connected by chain, ball bearings, rope... all come under the same rules re the law...

Each martial arts store will be different. At various ones around Perth I've seen...
Wooden chucks connected with metal (ball bearings and chain with swivel heads)
Wooden chucks connected with rope
Padded chucks connected with metal
Metal chucks connected with metal

What type do you want?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
but it's so hard to eat pasta with them. i don't know why people bother.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Lextalionisstranger
12 posts

Posted:
Hmm..sounds good. How much do they usually go for? I saw an Australian website selling their chucks for $60!!

They cost about $8-$20 in America....
EDITED_BY: Lextalionis (1226810471)

133 posts

Posted:
Woah! If there selling nunchucks for $60, They better be able to pick up televison reception. But you can get the greatest pair of nunchucks for $11 or so, But if I find any good place on selling them ill post it.

Lextalionisstranger
12 posts

Posted:
Well in all honestly the only Sydney based website I've seen to sell nunchucks was selling them for $60, i don't know about store prices.

Maybe the mark the price way up to try to stop alot of people from having them?

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
I got mine for $40.

You cannot import/send nunchucks to Australia without a licence - I am pretty sure.

Lextalionisstranger
12 posts

Posted:
$40 isn't TOO bad. as long as you buy the kind with the good bearings that won't fall apart on you.

I suppose there is always making your own nunchucku. I made these out of an oak broom handle, then drilled some T-holes in the ends and coated the holes in wax so they won't frey the rope.

(note these are a prochux/speedchuck style)

Non-Https Image Link

Design concept with two 12" steel pipes with holes drilled in them, then a bolt and nut, with a chain.

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: Lextalionis (1226978785)

133 posts

Posted:
grin Very nice homemade pair of nunchucks.

If you want to make some good metal ones to here!
Its a very nice way to build them, with or without the fire wick.

Lextalionisstranger
12 posts

Posted:
That's actually not a very good way to build nunchucku for freestyle or combat applications, because they're lightweight and I'm sure the wire holding the chain it won't hold up on impacts.

but for fire purposes, I'm sure that's a great way.

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
My home made ones...
I couldn't buy just the swivels... some legality... but the guy at the martial arts store had some that had broken (the wooden part, not the swivel) and he didn't have a use for them. I batted my eyelashes at him and I got them..

So my fire chucks have these...
https://superiormartialarts.com/images27/51602.jpg

Are made from some kind of metal pipe from Bunnings... It was plumbing stuff which took a good few hours to saw through, and then wick. It was my first "make it yourself" and I sewed them so they need to be re-wicked now.

They're a lot shorter than most other firechucks that I've seen pictures of. I have to wear leather gloves with them.

Will take a picture when I get back to Perth. smile

I am in the process of making more, am using the chain technique you have above but not with screws, just with wire passing through the hole and wrapping around.

I haven't wicked these yet but they're a lot lighter.

dugmiesterGOLD Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
natasqui... i love you, can i have your babies!!!
i have fire nunchucks and i have always been scared that some big bad policeman will come and steal them :'(
u seriously made my week right there
i got my fire nunchucks sent over from america, its ok if their written on the box as fire juggling apperatis, LOL, always a loophole
EDITED_BY: dugmiester (1257141003)

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
dugmiester - as long as you have contacted the police, know the legislation in your state and carry a copy of their reply with your nunchucks then you shouldn't have any problems.

Are your chucks in the process of being sent of have you received them? I'd love to know because I always thought that even with the disclaimer, they'd get confiscated.

I thought importing "weapons" would always be confiscated...

But that's AWESOME if not. Too bad my hands are too small for "regular" sized nunchucks.

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
Guys as an East coaster Martial artist of the last 12 years I'll field this one and sorry I didn't see it sooner...

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/133189/schedule_1_prohibited_weapons.pdf

This is a list of weapons for NSW...
The Victorian list I have on my computer and CBF uploading it as the laws are pretty much the same...
You MUST have a permit in order to own/use/train with anything that resembles Nunchaku. (they have worded it in such a way that if you linked two random sticks with a piece of dental floss that would be an illegal/offensive weapon.)

If you want to buy them... Get a permit; then buy from a reputable store... I don't know about Sydney... But with the recent weapons violence in Melbourne they're going hard on weapons possession... just FYI

The permits in Vic are quite exxy... When I last renewed it was about $140 for 3 years... But if you're performing with 'firechucks' or the like it may be well worth it... A permit is granted if you have a reason to use it... Martial Arts, Renaissance Reenactions, Performances etc are all valid reasons...

Hope that helps

-Moka

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Here's WA's Laws, as of now

Baton Fails are under Controlled weapons...

2.Baton flail
An article consisting of 2 or more batons joined by a cord, rope or chain so as to form a flail and includes —
(a) the martial arts weapon known as the nunchaku; and
(b) a baton constructed in such a way that it can be unscrewed or broken to form a flail.

7 . Controlled weapons
(1) Except as provided in section 10, a person who, without a lawful excuse, carries or possesses a controlled weapon commits an offence.
Penalty: $4 000 or imprisonment for one year.
(2) Except as provided in section 10, a person who has a lawful excuse to carry or possess a controlled weapon commits an offence if the person carries or possesses it in a manner that could reasonably be expected to cause someone —
(a) to be injured or disabled; or
(b) to fear that someone will be injured or disabled.
Penalty: $4 000 or imprisonment for one year.
(3) In this section a lawful excuse to carry or possess a controlled weapon does not include the excuse that the weapon is carried or possessed for defence.
(4) Subsection (3) does not apply to a controlled weapon of a kind prescribed for the purposes of this subsection as long as it is carried or possessed in such circumstances, if any, as the regulations may prescribe.
(5) Regulations under subsection (4) may apply generally or to a particular person or class of persons.

(3) In this section lawful excuse includes-
(a) the pursuit of any lawful employment, duty or activity; and
(b) participation in any lawful sport, recreation or entertainment; and
(c) the legitimate collection, display or exhibition of weapons-

SkiTTleS.auSILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
I have been charged multiple times and if your nunchaku have no fire on them they are classed as a weapon in which you then require martial arts qualifications. they are not illegal to sell so you can buy them from just about all martial arts stores but they are illegal to have unless you have the correct credentials. I am now a nunchaku master classification legally and also use fire implements smile

Moz Tooma-KairouzBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Easy to make dude. Taskanian oak dowel and grunt cord from bunnings. (Buy some hob nails and nail them into the end to create something fearsome). Then screw a few 20 cent pieces onto the ends to get the weight above 600 grams.

Page: