Forums > Help! > colecord keeps slipping

Login/Join to Participate

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
thanks for looking and hopfully giving me this advice. im using leather handles, colecord, ball swivil then quick links. and im finding every 2 or 3 hours ive got to retie my cords to the handles becuase they keep on getting longer. what type of knot should i be using for the cord? thanks again in advance

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I have two sets of poi with colecord. One has this issue, one does not. The one that doesn't are flowtoys and they're secured under the plastic, with the ends melted... perhaps melting the ends helps? But I haven't been game to do it to the others just yet, because then I might not be able to re-tie them! shocked! frown

Sorry I can't be of more help than this...

hug

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
ive got the one burned that attachs to my swivil. the other once loops through the handle then ties back to the cord.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I attach it to the end by putting a loop of colecord through the ring on my handle, then put the poi through the colecord loop, securing it on...

hug

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
Mother_Natures_Son i do the loop as well, but i sitll find that the cord lengthens

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
You mustn't have understood what I meant... its impossible for it to get longer...

Poke colecord through the metal ring... then put the poi head through the loop in the colecord, it will be made by the ring and the colecord...

I dunno how to explain it better than that. If you do it, it should only pull it tighter... but you can't adjust the length at all, so it'll just be at its longest and you'll have to cut the other end and melt the tips again... thats the only solution I can offer...

Perhaps someone else will come along with a better idea?

hug

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
so are you looping the cord arouns the ring like a circle then the head theough that circle?

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
If I understand your meaning, yeah. Sounds about right.

hug

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
i think were both talking about just a basic knot around the metal correct?

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Yup melting the ends will help because it will stop the rope from fraying and it will make the end of the rope wider, so that is some thing you should do.

As far as knots it will depend on your string set up so if you can post a pic of that then i can give you better advice.

That said if you are just directly attaching a string to the loop of the handle then any of the knots on this page should do the trick.
https://www.realknots.com/knots/sloops.htm

I tend to use a variation on the figure eight that is the same as one a lot of rock climbers use.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
No knot at all... https://community.kaboose.com/images/61021/trendy%20washer%20necklace.JPG
Look at the black one... see how the cord is attached to the washer thing?? Like that. ^_^

hug

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
thats the setup i was using and it keeps coming loose on me

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, i can't see why that would be a good way to attach them.
But yeah there would still need to be knots in that configuration.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
its the knot after that loop that keeps slipping, tieing a knot around colecord seems impossible

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Theres a knot at the other end, ElectricBlue... its the exact same configuration that the flowtoys come with...

So are you saying that its the knot at the opposite end that keeps slipping? As I said, my melted knot doesnt slip, my unmelted one does slip.

hug

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
i havent tried melting yet, cause i figured the stopper after the loop wasnt tight enough. ill try melting and seeing how it works

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
If that doesnt work... perhaps little clamps for electrical wiring could offer a stopper? Esp if they've got a bit of size to em.

hug

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
well thankfully i have lots of colecord to try with