142857stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I have just built a fire staff and I know that I'm meant to condition the wick before using properly but I can't find anything on what I'm meant to do, so the question is in the title, How do I condition my new staff wick?
Thanks

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Some say that you let it soak in white gas/kero/lamp oil (yer preference) for an hour/2/over night. Also heard things about putting a bag over it after you finish spinning and being dipped again.

All this is useless. Dip your staff til there are no bubbles coming out, spin off that end and dip the other and spin that one off. Yer set!

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
The only thing I've done with my wicks is to coat any ends with white glue (Elmer's) to prevent fraying, if any are showing. I haven't been burning nearly as long as some people around here, but my wicks aren't showing any deterioration that I can detect!

Enjoy the staff!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
There should be quite a few threads on here regarding wick care, a search should find most.

With most fire equipment I have purcahsed they recommended an extended soak, very short burn & entinguish, soak & repeat once or twice. Mixed opinions about whether its worth it, but certainly won't do any harm so if you have the time...

A quick dip after spinning will also stop any smoldering in your wick, and should help extend their life.

+1 for white glue for fraying ends as well smile

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
GLue? Really? Doesn;t it just burn off?

As for the wick conditioning, I think it was NYC a few years ago who did some tests and found out that it is all a myth. Dip, burn. that's it.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Yup i also doubt that the whole conditioning thing really does much.

Though i imagine it would be wise to make sure they are really soaked right through before you lit them the first time which would probably take a little longer than a usual dip.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: newgabeGLue? Really? Doesn;t it just burn off?

White glue doesn't. I've heard the it actually gets stronger after being burned but this i cannot varify. I've used it very sucsessfully in repairing my wicks but if can chip off.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Yes, white PVA glue is non-flammable and is a really cheap and easy fix if you see any fraying. However, a lot of glues are really flammable, and some produce toxic fumes (I believe superglue does), and so using a glue other than white glue could be both ineffetive and potentially dangerous. Even if it isn't dangerous, some glues may also break down on contact with fuels.

And (just a caveat) like Poje said, it can come off during normal use, so don't use school glue as an adhesive to secure your wicks! smile

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Listen to Poje - he speaks like his mouth was a megaphone. All his words are accurate. Apart from "varify. He meant "verify". That is however still 83% accurate so good enough for me.

All hail the Poje.