BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
If hypothetically, someone was hypothetically to open a circus school of sorts here in Thailand on Haad Tien beach,in association with Haad Tien bungalows, and various other NGO children circus projects.... would anyone be interested in coming? Teaching? running?

Haad Tien is a beautiful little bay in Ko Phan gan, Thailand. It generally has a yoga and healing based community, with instructors coming for these things, from all over the world. It gets a lot of fire spinners and circussy folk here escaping from winter, and doing their own healing and holidaying...

But, a new possibility emerged for consideration: A circus skill school for travellers...

What kinds of things would be of interest to you? What would get you out here, what would you be interested in doing, who are the instructors you would be on the look out for? What would be a draw, what would be a deterrent, what kind of price ranges, do you know anyone doing such a thing anywhere?

Just opening a dialogue, checking out ideas and discussion and ...

Possibilities!!!

ubbrollsmile hug ubblove juggle ubblol

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
umm scary how close our plans and intentions are, ma'm... hug

Still waiting for your last name to send the fans, in the meantime you need to PM me your full address again (because I certainly lost the other part by now). You got three more weeks before I leave North and sell them off... wink

But anyway I am looking forward to visit, help and learn smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
hmn... sure I sent you a pm with my last name.... but at any rate, it is russell... you can gett the address off our site, www.dokbua.org.

Would lo ve to hear more of your plans!
big smiles and a hug
a

LooperGOLD Member
grasshopper in training
124 posts

Posted:
Yeah... I'd come.... F* Yeah!
Hmmm... I think short term things would need to be nurtured... you know, month long classes/ teaching staff. People can get there for that long... but not really sustain it for two much longer.... that would take another level of leaving comfort zone. Rambling, sorry... listening to ani smile

Will come back when I am more centred
hug

There is a world made of air, one of earth and one of water.
And there is one made of fire, and all of them fight for supremacy. They are fighting now, in my head.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well my plan would be a "winter camp" for performers and artists and to include teachings and workshops for local children in this camp.

Not "merely" for performing artists, but for all kinds of artists, including visual arts, painters, actors, dancers, designers, jewellers, potters, sculpturers (sp) - everyone welcome to join, to stay, to live, to love, to work, to teach... as well as Yoga practitioners, Healing, Meditation...

I am pursuing this idea for two years already, couldn't resist talking to others about it, other people now also want to do it. Don't mind, because this is not just about "me" but about "community", about sharing, spreading skills and understanding.

I'm certain this idea has just come to me through 'the aether', I found myself to be the 100th monkey and now I see that I've only been the 99th wink

Been looking for the 'right' space, the 'right' environment... Actually the Convention in Goa has been the first step I undertake in this direction. It worked. It gave me (back) hope that something like this could actually really work.

Personally I 'gave up' on Thailand for anything regarding 'work' or 'living'... visa regulations, regulations on foreign investment, language barrier (amongst a load more that you know about already). No need to repeat them here. Thailand (to me) is v nice for a holiday, to relax. For a short period so to speak. India hence has got loads more potential, an extensive cultural background and vast areas to travel almost all year round without ever getting to the same spot twice... It holds so much spiritual 'power'... at the same time I can support myself here with what I do - as in legally working and having this work appreciated and (financially) honoured... I'm diverting attention, but you been asking....

wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Lovely to hear more about what yu are doing Tom, sounds fabulous! I was really sorry not to get out to India to join you all this year. Perhaps next.

The circus school here will be a friends project, with me consulting and overlapping with some of my NGO volunteer circus work.

I think she can make a go of it, and really look forward to all the fun and creativity it generates!

Your idea sounds very much to me like some of the artist colonies that were created in the 60s and 70s in Canada and the US. Elsewhere too? But they were pretty influential on the art and social scenes of the time, and though rife with all of the challenges of humans trying to do something communally/community oriented, sounded like pretty amazing places to spend time. A few still exist as far as I know.

Good luck, keep me posted!
smiles
a

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
wave andrea!!!

did you ever receive my dvd???

hug & kiss
tina

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Im currently working for www.circuskumarani.co.nz a community circus project in NZ.
If you need any advice - just get in touch
Its a shame I never made it to see you guys - many other things to do - I hope to get there sometime though
Good luck

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Cool firenix! I will think of some questions... A side note one, will you be doing the europe thing this summer? Play, ejc ect etc? Who knows, if the circus school happens maybe we can bring you out as a teacher!

Tina, have not been to the town to pick up mail in ages, so I bet it is there and I just have not been there! Will do so as soon as I can get out that way...

smiles to you all
a

kevindingKunming Acrobatic Troupe
5 posts

Posted:
hello guys,

kunming acrobatic troupe welcome you!!!

https://kaiwending.blogspot.com

https://www.youtube.com/kaiwending

thx

kevin

I am the manager of Kunming Acrobatic Troupe, we have an acrobatic arts school in Kunming China too, welcome you to China!!!!

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
@andrea:
i would be willing to offer some yoga and relaxing (back) massages apart from the spinniness with staff, poi and candles....
stay in touch....
thinking of you....still wanna come to you & thailand at least once in my lifetime.....but it would be for at least a month or two or three......and i really have to see when i can take these months off......

xxx

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I've been wanting to quit my normal life to do something like that for a long time. As a random circus skill user, I do find I can teach people to do things I still can't. *shrug*

It's too bad New York isn't a winter-get-away location too... lol.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I think its a great Idea. I dislike KPG, however if you made it easy to get through the nasty bits of KPG to your place (which sounds lovely BTW) then I think it could be really cool.

Perhaps one year we'd even come back to Thailand??

I think the facilities and costs would make the difference for me. ie - I can get to Fiji or Bali for far cheaper from Aust - however if the facilities that you were providing were better (ie a nice practise space, music making stuff, resident poi/juggle/staffgods, close to the beach etc etc) then it might sway me.

just some thoughts.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
PS I would like to see some kind of continuous program - eg yoga at 9am, poi workshop, lunch, flexibility wkshop, staff workshop, juggle workshop, etc etc.

probly some kind of party on one night of the week etc etc.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
I know I can at least find a decent circus school in Chicago. This would be a hard sell for me.